logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2011 10:40:03(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Can anyone in either Admin or perhaps you Jon tell us if we are losing topics from the end of the historical side of the forum?

I have been trying to find a topic that was on here a long time ago and failed.

As new topics are added do the older ones fall off into oblivion?

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2011 10:44:48(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

It would appear that we are losing all the old stuff.

Before I posted this topic I checked on the last one; it was by Gnatalee and entitled ‘The Smithy’.
This now seems to have disappeared.

If this is the case it doesn’t seem very good as loads of information will be lost once more.

R. S-S
buggyite  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2011 11:19:14(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Perhaps the forum software only allows for 16 pages of topics.

If this is the case, may I suggest that the powers-that-be create more sub forums called "History from 2009", "History from 2010" etc, and move older topics to these, then at each year-end, have a session moving stuff thats not been active for (say) six months to one of these history history folders.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
Norm  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2011 11:44:02(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

There are more pages on the general section, R.S-S pointed that out to me in a conversation this morning.

As I told R.S-S, I am sure the powers that be can fix this. If they can't I will copy them off to another forum, but that would be the last resort.

It would be strange for a History Forum to lose old posts.

Norm

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 22 January 2011 12:10:39(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good morning Buggyite,

We shall have to await the outcome and hopefully Admin has a backup of sorts.

It does seem rather ironic that this forum has uncovered some marvellous photos and stories and they seem to be disappearing in a relatively short space of time.
What caused me to notice this was the current topic on ww2 because I had once introduced a topic called ‘The Man in the Hat’ and this gentleman had commissioned the building of his own personal air raid shelter in his back garden at his home. Anyway that is no longer there.

I have wanted, for some time, to introduce the topic of the construction of Fernilee Reservoir but it is a massive subject and the thought that it could be dropped within a couple of years is a bit off-putting.

I know that Well Known Norm is doing a splendid job on our behalf and more so on behalf of the village but the threads contain all those questions and bits of banter that are so enjoyable but do not end up on his site which is ‘pure’ history.

As I say maybe there will be a happy conclusion and nothing is lost.

R. S-S

Edited by user 22 January 2011 12:11:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

umtali  
#6 Posted : 22 January 2011 14:20:14(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I have also noticed that the number of pages in many older topics have been greatly reduced, in some instances we now have a Readers Digest version rather than complete article. I think we are talking lots and lots of missing pages. And not just my work.

umtali  
#7 Posted : 22 January 2011 20:45:08(UTC)

The problem is that we have one large filing cabinet that has just two draws, the draws do not contain folders. 

The files are thrown into one of the two draws.

“General” or “History”

Unfortunately they do not even remain in date recieved order because from time to time they are retrieved changed and thrown back into the draw.

Wonder if this system would work at a Medical Centre?

The fact is the Forum lacks the basic principals of any workable information database. it is an out of control monster that will continue to get even more unmanageable.

Don’t pin your hopes on Norms magic wand, it needs a complete re-think not a patch,
CllrJonG  
#8 Posted : 23 January 2011 23:26:50(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

I have checked, and I am told that everything is still there. However, only a certain number of pages can be seen when you view the pages at the bottom of the 'local history section'. I have access to a search facility which allows me to find stuff, hence I could easily find the man in a hat thread and the air raid shelter reference. I'm not sure you see this. I will see if it is possible to make it accessable by all.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#9 Posted : 24 January 2011 08:48:48(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

This is very good news indeed and once again prompt work by a member of our Council. No need to say who but many thanks Jon.

I am in no way being critical here but now that you have reintroduced the topic ‘The Man in the Hat’ does that mean another topic has fallen off?

I imagined the whole of the historical side would be accessible for reference purposes and, of course, to correct any mistakes or add more information to the topic.

There is certainly a mistake in ‘The Man in the Hat’ thread by me which I shall attempt to correct. I also need to correct another bit of information on another thread that is close to disappearing and for which I found a better source, over the weekend. I shall do that later in the week.

Once again many thanks, Jon. Be a good sort and make it all accessible to us.

R. S-S
umtali  
#10 Posted : 24 January 2011 12:55:02(UTC)

Seee -

#20 Posted : 24 January 2011 11:46:49

Norm  
#11 Posted : 24 January 2011 21:50:55(UTC)
Norm

Man

CllrJonG wrote:

I will see if it is possible to make it accessable by all.

Cheers

Jon.

Thanks Jon. I am putting my money on it being OK. (He says without the knowledge of how this forum works )

Norm

snoopy  
#12 Posted : 25 January 2011 07:49:15(UTC)
snoopy

Good news. I see more posts have arrived at the end of this section.   Is that all of them?

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#13 Posted : 25 January 2011 14:26:08(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I can see that there is a solution to the problem now.

However, this morning I checked on the last contribution which was a topic started by a student (possibly) about the area of land known as The Walker Pit.
I remember it quite well as the ‘student’ said she was doing a course at Leeds University on the possibility of building houses on the site.
I gave her 2 long replies which took me ages to research and she never came back with any sort of reply.

But this morning on looking at the topic again there was only her opening question; my replies had gone.
I thought I’d have another look this afternoon and now the whole topic has gone.

I would suggest that we do not contribute any new topics on the historical side of the forum until we know where all the lost ones are.

R. S-S
CllrJonG  
#14 Posted : 25 January 2011 16:59:55(UTC)
CllrJonG

Hi RSS,

It is there - the topic is 'can anyone help' - i can see both your replies using the search facility. I have asked if we can get the search facility for all, but rest assured the topic is there and your replies are there.

Cheers

Jon.

Flannel  
#15 Posted : 25 January 2011 18:42:32(UTC)
Flannel

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I am guessing the forum front page finds the last 500 messages or so and then groups them by thread, to avoid the front page being overly long. They probably never imagined there could be more than 500 posts about Whaley Bridge. Should be easy to fix, but a good search would be brilliant for the history forum, perhaps it can be linked to a google custom search rather than build it from scratch?

This works on Google:

site:whaleybridge.net trains and shallcross

obviously trains and shallcross might not be your choice of words.

Edited by user 25 January 2011 19:36:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG  
#16 Posted : 25 January 2011 19:53:59(UTC)
CllrJonG

Hi Flannel,

that is really neat. i didn't know google could do that !

RSS - try typing

site:whaleybridge.net can anyone help

into the google search box.

Cheers

jon.

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
Clipboard01.jpg

snoopy  
#17 Posted : 26 January 2011 07:30:11(UTC)
snoopy

Not all is well. Some posts have gone again, and on the last page one post is repeated. It was not repeated last weekend.

I think it may be getting something in a twist.

As for databases etc, well if this forum was working 100% then it is quite fit for purpose.

umtali  
#18 Posted : 26 January 2011 08:32:22(UTC)

Although helpful, finding files by resorting to Google is not the cure,
The files have to stay in the database in the same order, place or position they were created in.

Whilst they can still be removed and put back in a new location the situation can only get worse.

Think about the old office metal filing cabinet, it worked just fine if kept in order; computers are much the same in principal, move your files about and expect to loose something.

At the end of the day a Primary Key (Date & Time) database with an index is the best option here - or at least a big improvement.

Flannel  
#19 Posted : 26 January 2011 17:03:54(UTC)
Flannel

Umtali,

I get the impressions from the discussion so far, that all the messages are already held in a database, which can be indexed by date, members name, topic and forum. The pictures are probably in a folder of their own and pointed to by the message database. It is the web front end that is not showing all the messages as it must only list the first X number.

If the web page is changed so that all the old messages can be seen on the web page, then google would be a way of searching them that would be easier to use than making a new database search button on the forum. It is possible to put a search box on the forum home page that will automatically open a google search of just the forum posts. I might make one and put it on my own web page just for fun.
If this thread is now about the forum design, then one thing I would suggest is that the images are automatically resized to fit the users own window size, this can be done with javascript or possibly other ways, and would stop people needing to repost smaller images.
The forum is also difficult to view on small screens from the main whaley bridge site, although it works better on www.whaleybridge.net/forum.

Other than that it is a great resource, thanks to all the posters in both forums.

Edited by user 26 January 2011 17:04:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MrTrueman  
#20 Posted : 26 January 2011 17:28:45(UTC)
MrTrueman

Groups: Administration

The 'Search' feature has now been activated for all logged in users.

Leaving now

Regards,

Mr Trueman

Whaleybridge.com Volunteer

Whaley Bridge website needs your help. Please email us your local news and events.
http://www.whaleybridge.com/contact/

Please support our local Computer Company, Trusted IT they provide this forum for all to use.
http://www.trustedit.co.uk