logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Horwich Ender  
#41 Posted : 06 February 2011 13:50:30(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

What is going on?

Norm  
#42 Posted : 06 February 2011 15:36:37(UTC)
Norm

Man

Horwich Ender wrote:

What is going on?

To which part of this thread are you refering to?

To the section regarding why we cannot browse all the history pages, or the links to an inane website that has pictures on that must have been created by someone who is not quite a full shilling.

Regarding the first part I was hoping the Mr Trueman might fix it or tell us why it cannot happen. Regarding the second part I haven't a clue, the links keeps taking us to bizarre and different pages. Now it's a few famous paintings ????????? Mad. 

Norm

umtali  
#43 Posted : 06 February 2011 17:57:56(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Norm wrote:

Horwich Ender wrote:

What is going on?

To which part of this thread are you refering to?

To the section regarding why we cannot browse all the history pages, or the links to an inane website that has pictures on that must have been created by someone who is not quite a full shilling.

Regarding the first part I was hoping the Mr Trueman might fix it or tell us why it cannot happen. Regarding the second part I haven't a clue, the links keeps taking us to bizarre and different pages. Now it's a few famous paintings ????????? Mad. 

Norm

What a thoroughly unpleasant and aggressive person you are Norm.
Horwich Ender  
#44 Posted : 06 February 2011 19:29:06(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening Well Known Norm.

I am sure the forum administrators will be able to update us on the situation regarding the ability to browse all the history pages in due course.

As far as “he who should be ignored” is concerned we have been here before.

The reason for my question was prompted by a reply from a forum member to a post made by CllrJonG. However, the original post by CllrJonG appears to have been removed.

I didn’t see CllrJonG's post and was wondering if someone could confirm that a post was made, what was its content and why was it removed?

Are the forum police gunning for Cllr Jon The Whaley One?

umtali  
#45 Posted : 06 February 2011 20:10:02(UTC)

snoopy wrote:

Cheers Jon.

Not a good reply for a history site.

Norm  
#46 Posted : 06 February 2011 20:55:43(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi HE

Yes a post was made by Jon. It contained a link to the people who create the software we are using now. This software is Open Source Software which means simply two things. One it is free :) and two you can amend it, if you know how. It is in the language C# and created for a Windows Server.  I think I am right there. My forums (I run a few for charities etc)  are not, so I don't really understand it.

Anyway I presume it was deleted because the powers that be do not wish us to know such info, why I do not know.

So that's it. I still don't know why we cannot browse all the posts, and any other posts in this thread that digress from the original theme are best ignored.

Norm

Norm  
#47 Posted : 06 February 2011 22:14:02(UTC)
Norm

Man

PS

Why it was not a good reply was the fact that Jon implied that  "they" could not change the software to display more pages. So snoopy thought that was not good for a history forum.

snoopy  
#48 Posted : 07 February 2011 08:04:38(UTC)
snoopy

Norm wrote:

So that's it. I still don't know why we cannot browse all the posts, and any other posts in this thread that digress from the original theme are best ignored.

I agree best ignored, a slightly late New Year resolution then. It was the re-appearance of the tee-shirt that was amazing so it's the usual pot kettle black when "he" says you are unpleasant.

umtali  
#49 Posted : 07 February 2011 08:08:36(UTC)

umtali wrote:

I actually found Jon’s contribution quite interesting and can see after visiting his software link why admin prefer to leave things as they are.

Congratulations caught up at last have we.

umtali  
#50 Posted : 07 February 2011 08:18:28(UTC)

Well ....Almost all.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#51 Posted : 07 February 2011 18:46:25(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Well I don’t know what to say about this.

I think Well Known Norm is correct though. If you view the historical side of the forum as a sort of newspaper and you can flick through everything there is the odds are that something might catch your eye. You may then become interested in a particular topic and that might encourage you to read others.

As an example:

We have had a thread about the explosions in the Goyt Valley. This might have been of interest to people in Fernilee. They might not have known of the existence of that factory. They then might have wondered who owned it and what happened to it. They might want to know exactly where it was and so on.
People will have noticed how active Doctor Allan was up there and might want to know more about the man.

And so on and so on.

All the history around here is connected and somehow interwoven.

The search facility is OK as far as it goes but how can you search for something that you have never heard of?

So I don’t think we should add any new threads for now.
Continue adding to what is already there but do not start a new thread because every new one looses one.

There are lots of topics that have not been raised on the historical side of the forum, such as the Railway, Mines, The Mechanics, Friendly Societies, The Reservoirs, Crime, Local Families etc etc, but they will have to wait.

It is strange indeed that some of those topics already raised have themselves almost become history.

R. S-S
umtali  
#52 Posted : 08 February 2011 08:41:20(UTC)

umtali  
#53 Posted : 08 February 2011 10:21:18(UTC)

I need to correct my wording.
“The more you add the more you loose”.

It is not lost it’s just not visible to the casual browser.

Flannel  
#54 Posted : 08 February 2011 17:38:01(UTC)
Flannel

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
As i said before with some topics you would never guess from the title what it was going to be about. For example mass trespass is about a well. Something I had missed before is the "Previous Topic" button at the top, using this you can scroll through every thread there has ever been. I still see no reason why all threads cant be displayed though, it must just be a limiting number that could be easily changed in the software,

Flannel
snoopy  
#55 Posted : 15 February 2011 07:45:10(UTC)
snoopy

Flannel wrote:
I still see no reason why all threads cant be displayed though, it must just be a limiting number that could be easily changed in the software,

Flannel

Come on Mr Trueman, can we have affinative answer on this, so we know which way we are going, or not as the case may be.

tyke  
#56 Posted : 15 February 2011 08:15:21(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Are we not missing the point here. This is a historical discussion forum (a place for open discussion). A place for showcasing new research. Not a historical archive. What some contributors seem to be doing here is trying to use this forum as a historical archive.Tthat is a different thing and would be catalogued and indexed fully. One assumes the contributors on here do keep copies of their research and can access it them themselves. Whats actually needed is a properly constructed archive for this information which can either be online on on someones own computer. Sorry but lets try and stop trying to turn this forum into something that it isn't. Remember the forum is run by unpaid volunteers.

Edited by user 15 February 2011 08:16:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

umtali  
#57 Posted : 15 February 2011 09:59:52(UTC)

Mr Tyke -

I shall watch this string with interest, but not too sure about your sentence – This is a historical discussion forum (a place for open discussion)”

I see it more as a medium to preserve history in a clear and interesting style for the benefit of future researchers. Discussion is more appropriate to the General Discussion section nothing can be said to change history.

For sure what has been accumulated so far is in desperate need of an index,
However my observations on this point are met with severe attacks of mass limping, you may be more successful with this point.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#58 Posted : 15 February 2011 17:00:45(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

tyke wrote:

Are we not missing the point here. This is a historical discussion forum (a place for open discussion). A place for showcasing new research. Not a historical archive. What some contributors seem to be doing here is trying to use this forum as a historical archive.Tthat is a different thing and would be catalogued and indexed fully. One assumes the contributors on here do keep copies of their research and can access it them themselves. Whats actually needed is a properly constructed archive for this information which can either be online on on someones own computer. Sorry but lets try and stop trying to turn this forum into something that it isn't. Remember the forum is run by unpaid volunteers.

Hello Tyke,

You may or may not be correct in what you say; I really do not know.

But when we had the old forum a few of us posted items of what we believed to be of historical interest to Whaley Bridge. About 6 of us discussed various topics but only one was able to post photographs. Some of the things the others said I already knew about; some I didn’t.

Then along came this new forum and in within it were two separate headings:
General Discussion and Local History.

I have no idea who came up with the idea of a separate section for Local History but whoever it was must have thought that there was some merit in collecting material that related to Whaley Bridge.

Since the start of this forum 2 of the 6 historians are no longer with us. A very close friend of mine who gave me invaluable information about the Town and its people has also died.

On the other hand others have come forward with information and photos.
For instance Mrs Curious put a photo on here showing a fountain in Horwich End. I was immediately suspicious, as I had never heard of this, and even after asking people who I thought might know I couldn’t find one person who knew the slightest thing about it.
Indeed I even suggested at one point that Mrs Curious had somehow concocted the photo. But when I researched the matter further I found that not only was it genuine but there was a mass of background information about it.
This information would never have been available without that photo from Mrs Curious and I know probably most people have not the slightest interest in the history of the Town but some have and when people have lived here a bit longer they might want to know more.

Who knew anything of the Mass Trespass in Whaley? Who new the details of the train crash or the Walker Pit Disaster? Who knew anything about the current thread about Doctor Allan? Probably nobody. But they do now and these articles should be preserved.

I think the Local History section must have been introduced to be an archive. It is hardly a discussion section although the discussion is a very good thing.
On a lot of the threads there are questions and debates and this is excellent but Well Known Norm extracts the ‘pure’ content and puts it on our new web site.

Just as an example I was walking around Fernilee Reservoir just yesterday and I met some people from Bollington and as we were talking I mentioned that there used to be a suspension bridge across the reservoir. They really did find it hard to believe and I told them to look on this forum when they got home but now I can’t find it myself.

Anyway even though I have a fair collection of historical things relating to Whaley I’m not going to be around forever and who knows what will happen to all my stuff then?
So what goes on here should be recorded and archived.

Finally for those nice people from Bollington here is one of quite a few photos that I have of that suspension bridge that you found so hard to believe. I hope you do manage to find it on here.

R. S-S

umtali  
#59 Posted : 15 February 2011 18:29:19(UTC)

GOYT VALLEY SUSPENSION BRIDGE 1:
#16 Posted : 07 December 2009 10:10:11

Location Photo Albun
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#60 Posted : 15 February 2011 19:49:05(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Just to make readers aware:

The photo I have just posted on this thread is most certainly not the one that is in the photo library noted as ‘Goyt Valley Suspension Bridge 1’ as is being suggested here.
This recent photo has not been on here before; at least not from me anyway.

I hope that clears up this latest misleading information.

R. S-S