logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
umtali  
#61 Posted : 15 February 2011 20:24:55(UTC)

Groups: Guest

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Just to make readers aware:

The photo I have just posted on this thread is most certainly not the one that is in the photo library noted as ‘Goyt Valley Suspension Bridge 1’ as is being suggested here.
This recent photo has not been on here before; at least not from me anyway.

I hope that clears up this latest misleading information.

R. S-S

Screen Capture

Looks like your post to me, no one said it was the same picture.
umtali  
#62 Posted : 15 February 2011 20:50:15(UTC)

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Just as an example I was walking around Fernilee Reservoir just yesterday and I met some people from Bollington and as we were talking I mentioned that there used to be a suspension bridge across the reservoir. They really did find it hard to believe and I told them to look on this forum when they got home but now I can’t find it myself.

R. S-S

Norm  
#63 Posted : 15 February 2011 21:45:55(UTC)
Norm

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi

I think what R.S-S meant was the thread but now that has to be searched for because it is old. The photos are on the website as well, including a school photo which was claimed to be found earlier, but the link has gone (that's another story). The new photo of the suspension bridge was put in the site earlier this evening.

Is this not the problem that this thread is all about? People know they have seen something but can't place it. I know they can be searched for but there seems a feeling that people like to browse, Tyke said in an earlier post that people may be missing the point, but I feel what is missing is the answer whether one way or the other all threads can be displayed for browsing. If someone has some time on their hands they may like to read this thread and count how many times that question has been asked BUT still no answer. Just one post by the people that run the forum could end this. Also as Tyke said the forum is run by unpaid volunteers, don't you think I may know that?

Norm

Edited by user 15 February 2011 22:03:07(UTC)  | Reason: Grammar !!

shallcross  
#64 Posted : 15 February 2011 22:24:55(UTC)
shallcross

Tyke

I too don't think that you are correct on this matter, in fact i find that for the first time in many months I must agree with**.

The General Discussion side of the forum does as it says promotes a fantastic way for people to interact and discuss the good and bad points of day to day living in and around Whaley, but don't you think that the information and images that have been relived and recorded on the Local History side should be preserved for all? as RSS I have many items collected over many years and yes I do keep an archive, but who else is going to see this unless I share? it is ongoing and things I have never seen before still turn up , for instance I have just aquired a photographic copy of an 1860 glass slide of Taxal (Overton) Old Hall, this is the first image I have ever seen, this was the home of the Downes family from around the 1400's  and the single most important building of its age in Taxal & Whaley , I was intending to start a thread in connection, but if it fades away after a few months should I bother?

Meanwhile heres another Photo of The Suspension Bridge

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Fernilee - Suspension Bridge.jpg
Shallcross
Norm  
#65 Posted : 15 February 2011 22:42:26(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

Brilliant picture Shallcross, that will be on the website when I get round to it, probably tomorrow night. It worries me that the History Forum seems to be limited in space. The main reason is that the creators of the software claim unlimited posts, so I feel that our software has been changed to put the limit in.

I realise that it is not the end of the world if we can't browse the posts but in the scheme of things I doubt if it is a big overhead. Also since we seem to never get an answer that makes the matter worse, when people ask questions and get no answer they seem to speculate and it all gets a bit silly.

Norm

tyke  
#66 Posted : 16 February 2011 07:38:41(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

My point was that this is a historical forum for showcasing research discussing topics and expanding through interactive research. The outcome of ths shoud really be compiled and tranferred to a historical archive or database where it can be fully indexed and catalogued. A search engine could be attached and then find topics much more easily. the format of this (in general) is merely a forum and I suspect has limitations for this purpose.

I was not being too specific when I said a forum was for discussion I forgot I should have included the word "historical" in my original post! This is a Historical discussion forum but a forum none the less.

I am not saying that this forum is a bad thing, far from it, as RSS stated, it is doing its job showcasing elements of local history that once were forgotten. I just feel that as, the title of this topic is are we losing the history, there are concerns and with the problems associated with accessing old threads, their lack of prominence (in the main). I have to ask  is this forum the best place to archive all the material that has been collected.......and who keeps the backup?

The local history website section does showcase some topics collected on here but not all. The trouble is that to set up an archive would be a lot of work for some volunteer. Though remember this, the longer it goes on the more information you get and worse it gets. Just image how much there will be in say 10 years from now.

Edited by user 16 February 2011 08:02:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

umtali  
#67 Posted : 16 February 2011 08:31:00(UTC)

My question is “What’s in this situation for Trusted IT” other than a small local advertisement, they may well be fed up to the back teeth with the hassle they get compared to the return.

I have prepared a few websites for commercial enterprises and uploaded them to “Hosting Servers” which are not a free; there is usually an annual contract and a monthly fee, even for a small High Street business about £10 to £15 a month.

The Forum is a big website which few if any companies would wish to host free of charge. Perhaps there is space available on the W. B. Council Server at least for the long term storage, there seems to be precious little else on it

Trusted IT have been more than generous give them a break.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#68 Posted : 16 February 2011 10:30:50(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Once again to all readers:

I have never once criticised TrustedIT and I do not think I have seen any post making a criticism of that business.

On the contrary I would applaud the efforts of TrustedIT.

If it were not for TrustedIT we would probably not have a forum at all.

I asked the initial question on this thread: “Are we losing the History?”
By that I pointed out that I had noticed that every time a new topic was added the oldest one ‘dropped off’ from the last page.
This was not and never has been a criticism of TrustedIT in fact this is the first time I have mentioned the company name on this thread.

I simply wondered if the topic that fell away was lost forever and just like Shallcross it does make you wonder if your research is to be of any use if it disappears after a couple of years. We now know that this is not the case and all posts are still there but a little harder to find.

I would much rather the forum read something like a newspaper if that is possible and that all the topics were available without having to search for them. For instance on this very thread there have been 2 new photos of the suspension bridge; most people I talk to find it hard to believe that there was such a bridge. So why would they search for something that they couldn’t even imagine anyway?

The other thing, and as Tyke says: “how much more is there to come”?
Who knows if some one hasn’t got an old album from their Grandfather that has been lying about for donkey’s years and that person suddenly takes an interest in local history.

Once again, as Shallcross says, everything that is put on here is intended to be shared and it would be a shame if latecomers missed things. Indeed Shallcross himself is a relative newcomer on here and he may have missed things that would be of great interest to him. Although I very much suspect he has everything anyway and that is why the likes of him are such a benefit and asset to the forum.

The forum is a credit to TrustedIT. They must read it and I’m certain they would not mind any suggestions to improve it; I am also certain that they would act on any suggestions if at all possible.

R. S-S
Norm  
#69 Posted : 17 February 2011 15:55:07(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

Just a note about the other part of this thread "The Suspension Bridge". I was talking to R.S-S the other night and I happened to mention where was the actual structure in relation to the reservoir now?

My thoughts, after looking at pictures on this site and looking at the actual reservoir is that if it still existed it would be under the dam for Errwood. The main reason I base this is that as you look down the reservoir there seems only to be one sort of cutting on the right and the bridge was a few yards or so up the valley from that which is now lost to the dam. There are a lot of trees on the right below the dam which makes comparison difficult.

Just an idea, any thoughts anyone? I expect R.S-S will reply, and maybe Shallcross.

Norm

Edited by user 17 February 2011 15:55:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#70 Posted : 17 February 2011 17:19:59(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon Well Known Norm,

This is a topic very dear to me. In fact I have been up to Errwood Dam this very afternoon. If you recall I have been promising myself to start a new topic on the construction of the Fernilee Reservoir and I would like some help, well a lot of help really from Shallcross.

The construction changed the valley completely and lots of people and properties were affected in one way or another.
The builders didn’t just turn up one Monday morning and say they were building a reservoir. There was years of Planning that went into the task which included Lyme Park and Kinder reservoirs.

Errwood reservoir was planned at the same time as Fernilee although it was built 30 years later.

Fernilee Reservoir was split into 7 different contracts and one of these was the suspension bridge.

I know for certain that Shallcross has better pictures of the bridge than I have and some of his will show the suspension bridge in relation to the Dam wall.

Remember this Well Known Norm: because a passage had to be maintained across the valley after Fernilee flooded it a suspension bridge was built. The only reason that this could be removed was when the Errwood dam formed another access.

So I think we should leave the matter there for now and perhaps when the small problem of the threads dropping off is resolved then I hope Shallcross will assist me with the Fernilee Reservoir Topic.

I will say this much though; two years ago on the old forum a local historian who was very well respected debated aspects of the bridge with me and said the remains were there still for everyone to see. I have been up there at least twice a week for the past few months and I can not find the remains that he described to me. And even though I played on that bridge many times I can not now tell you exactly where it was.

So, at this point, it is over to Shallcross.

R. S-S
shallcross  
#71 Posted : 17 February 2011 18:37:03(UTC)
shallcross

It is difficult now after all these years to pinpoint as the landscape has changed, but the bridge stood around about where the flat piece of grass is at the bottom of the dam wall, take a look at this photo it isnt crystal clear but you can see the towers of the bridge and the dam is being constructed behind, the foreground shows the metal piles that were driven in to hold back the water from Fernilee reservoir.

RSS is correct that Fernilee Reservoir destroyed many rights of way and paths through the valley and although the waters of The  River Goyt ran into the reservoir not too far up from where the bridge stood the only crossing was Fernilee Dam or Goyts Bridge, where the bridge crossed was about the narrowest point across the Reservoir, well used and sadly missed.

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Errwood Construction.jpg
Shallcross
parabuild  
#72 Posted : 17 February 2011 18:55:13(UTC)
parabuild

Man

4th November 1933

parabuild attached the following image(s):
4.11.1933.JPG
Horwich Ender  
#73 Posted : 18 February 2011 17:14:26(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Lets hope the forum administrators can come up with a solution to the vanishing posts as it would be a very sad day for this forum if R. S-S and Shallcross did not think it was worth their while posting.

Norm  
#74 Posted : 18 February 2011 17:24:35(UTC)
Norm

Man

Horwich Ender wrote:

Lets hope the forum administrators can come up with a solution to the vanishing posts as it would be a very sad day for this forum if R. S-S and Shallcross did not think it was worth their while posting.

Hi HE

Since the forum administrators have been quiet on this subject I presume it cannot be done.

I am looking into how I can create a list of links to the posts, hopefully a bit interactive, let's see how it works, fingers crossed.

Norm

Norm  
#75 Posted : 19 February 2011 14:54:41(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

Made a start, to see it go to the Local History Site. Near the bottom is a link called Whaley Bridge History Forum Archive.

Click on that and have a look.

As I said it is a start, at the moment it contains links to all posts started in 2009, since they drop off the end first.

The creation date/date of first post is used, therefore something that won't change if the posts get updated.

If it is of any use I have plans for such things as a type of keyword search facility and list all posts by one particular original author.

Any other plans may be considered.

Also if it is used I will add links in chunks of a month at a time, starting with Jan 2010 (obviously).

Now it goes without saying that I am not going to add more links if it is deemed not useful, so some sort of feedback is essential.

Also if anyone finds a thread dated in 2009 that is not there please let me know. Have a play.

Norm

Edited by user 19 February 2011 15:09:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#76 Posted : 19 February 2011 15:13:55(UTC)
G. Jackson

Well Done Norman! I think it is very good and self explanatory.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#77 Posted : 19 February 2011 15:54:47(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

May I also add my congratulations?

This is exactly the sort of thing that was needed; why on earth G Jackson did not think of it in the first place is beyond me?

So it’s: Well Done, Well Known Norm.

R. S-S
shallcross  
#78 Posted : 19 February 2011 18:23:55(UTC)
shallcross

Norm

Thats great, simple and it works

Well Done Norm.

Shallcross
umtali  
#79 Posted : 19 February 2011 18:58:40(UTC)

Very good Norm I like it, but give it a try without the table borders, just cosmetic but in my opinion would look more stylish.
Norm  
#80 Posted : 19 February 2011 19:12:22(UTC)
Norm

Man

umtali wrote:

Very good Norm I like it, but give it a try without the table borders, just cosmetic but in my opinion would look more stylish.

Cheers

I think it looks better on the first screen but not the second. All without a specific index.

Norm