logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CllrJonG  
#1 Posted : 01 March 2011 10:54:16(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

I am going to do a litter pick in the area of the Horse Tunnel on Saturday morning at 9am.

I have arranged with Tescos that we can bag up the rubbish and put it in their skip (we will recycle glass, plastic and cans ).

If anyone wishes to help please come along. I suggest you bring gloves!

Meet at the Tesco car park by the recycling containers 9am.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
backward walker  
#2 Posted : 01 March 2011 15:55:27(UTC)
backward walker

Groups: Member
Man

Well done lets get that place cleaned up, I offer my apologies I am out of the area then.
Elmo  
#3 Posted : 03 March 2011 10:21:37(UTC)
Elmo

Great idea.  That corner definitely needs a spring clean.  I will do my utmost to be there.

CllrJonG  
#4 Posted : 04 March 2011 09:05:15(UTC)
CllrJonG

Thanks All,

See you at 9am tomorrow. Shouldn't take long if just a handful turn up.

Cheers

Jon.

Over the hill but not far away  
#5 Posted : 04 March 2011 22:19:50(UTC)

Time to find out who are the doers and who are the talkers on this forum eh Jon.

It's not too late-be part of the solution!  see you all there )

Cheers

Edited by user 04 March 2011 22:28:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG  
#6 Posted : 05 March 2011 20:19:58(UTC)
CllrJonG

Hi,

A very  Big Thankyou to all those that turned up. You know who you are. Five of us shifted over 20 bags of rubbish in around 2 hours. Hard work but the area looks miles better now.

The large battery and other scrap achieved £7 at the scrappie, and that will go to Footsteps for their heater fund. The 3 large empty gas bottles were delivered to their owners at Chapel DIY and Bywaters - unfortunately no refunds!. Tescos let us dump all the rest of the stuff in their skip.

Thanks once again.

Cheers

Jon.

#7 Posted : 06 March 2011 00:03:57(UTC)

Just to add.  that at least five bins  of plastic bottles and an equal quantity of glass and cans where recycled.......look out for the next litter pick which will be the road side of the canal from the basin to Tesco...watch this space

Cheers

Web Watcher  
#8 Posted : 06 March 2011 13:38:44(UTC)
Web Watcher

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Sorry I could not join you but I work on a Saturday morning. Well done the five of you - it's much appreciated
Rambler  
#9 Posted : 06 March 2011 17:07:26(UTC)
Rambler

My spouse and I would definately have been there but we were on holiday. Well done to all of you....

umtali  
#10 Posted : 07 March 2011 08:20:01(UTC)

Groups: Guest

So FIVE turned up?
You did say FIVE Jon??
Four plus yourself?

That’s absolutely amazing for Whaley Bridge quite incredible in fact,

snoopy  
#11 Posted : 08 March 2011 07:46:28(UTC)
snoopy

I agree, well done. I wasn't even in the country so I can blame that. But to be perfectly honest I doubt if I would have helped, Sat mornings are usually very busy. Again well done, we need more chaps like you.

If i respond to the previous post, there will be cries that he is being picked on, so I won't.

umtali  
#12 Posted : 08 March 2011 08:51:41(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I would have been there for sure, but I feed our budgie on Saturday mornings.

(There we go, now we have as many excuses as volunteers)
moogie  
#13 Posted : 10 March 2011 13:34:35(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)

Quick question on this...

Do Tescos have any duty of responsiblity to keep the area clean. Surley most of the rubbish around the horse tunnell is blown there from the car park. again with the surrounding embankment.

If my garden was full of rubbish mine....or stuff blown ito it. I would not excpect my neighbours to come and clean it, and if they did.....merley letting them put it in my bin does not constitute help at all.

its great that you guys have attempeted a clean up...but why cant 'they' be made to keep this up, especialy with the new 'granted' expansion.

G. Jackson  
#14 Posted : 10 March 2011 16:47:16(UTC)
G. Jackson

I am not a fan or shareholder of Tesco but I feel that yet again I must defend them in this silly pointless arguement.

Tesco do not sell waste paper, empty bottles etc. They sell their products perfectly wrapped. It is the buyer that turns this into food drink etc. and waste products and the waste paper etc. is theirs, they have bought it with the product from Tesco. How they dispose of it is their business not Tesco.

It is the same with a chip shop, the wrapping paper or box is the buyers even when the chips have been eaten, nothing to do with the chip shop owner. It is the buyers responsibility to throw it away in a bin.

moogie  
#15 Posted : 14 March 2011 17:01:33(UTC)
moogie

G. Jackson wrote:

I am not a fan or shareholder of Tesco but I feel that yet again I must defend them in this silly pointless arguement.

Tesco do not sell waste paper, empty bottles etc. They sell their products perfectly wrapped. It is the buyer that turns this into food drink etc. and waste products and the waste paper etc. is theirs, they have bought it with the product from Tesco. How they dispose of it is their business not Tesco.

It is the same with a chip shop, the wrapping paper or box is the buyers even when the chips have been eaten, nothing to do with the chip shop owner. It is the buyers responsibility to throw it away in a bin.

not an issue at all with what your saying there.....its makes total sense.

Im just asking what resposibility they have to keep the area clean?.....regardless if the waste is from Teso's or not....

eg...if i buy a drink and decide to leave the bottle in the carpark...(which i would never do).......and it blows onto the embankment....who cleans it?.....

my point being...im sure they do clean the carpark....but do they do anything in the surrounding enviroment.?

G. Jackson  
#16 Posted : 14 March 2011 19:18:45(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dearest Moogie,

I'm sure that they clean the carpark but when they get to the edge of their property they will stop cleaning. When I mow my lawn I stop at the edge otherwise I could be mowing all the way to Kettleshulme.

moogie  
#17 Posted : 15 March 2011 10:02:43(UTC)
moogie

point taken.......i will get back in my box.....

i prob have a bit of an anti-tescos running through me....i know they provide a good service, im prob just sick of going there at the weekends.....even tho i try to buy most things from local shops..

davethescope  
#18 Posted : 15 March 2011 11:09:59(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
G. Jackson wrote:

Dearest Moogie,

I'm sure that they clean the carpark but when they get to the edge of their property they will stop cleaning. When I mow my lawn I stop at the edge otherwise I could be mowing all the way to Kettleshulme.

But if rubbish from your garden got scattered across you neighbour's property by an errant gust of wind, would you not feel a responsibility to collect it, even thought the force that scattered it was not of your making?
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Elmo  
#19 Posted : 15 March 2011 11:18:35(UTC)
Elmo

It wouldn't go amiss for Tesco clean a bit further past their border towards the Horse Bridge, after all it is an entrance that many people use and much of the rubbish clearly has come from their premises.  One of the most common type of rubbish in that corner are the small plastic veg bags.  I suspect that it is mainly unused bags that shoppers leave in the trolleys and are then blown by the wind across the car park off the Tesco land.  I retrieved two such bags from next to the path to the Horse Bridge, just three days after the Litter Pick.  It wouldn't take much time or effort, just one person for ten minutes each week would make such a difference.

G. Jackson  
#20 Posted : 15 March 2011 15:03:29(UTC)
G. Jackson

Davethescope. I don't like the accusation that I could have rubbish in my garden. My garden could win prizes for neatness.

Elmo. If all it takes is 1 person 10 minutes per week, why don't you do it? Tesco staff haven't got time,inclination,reason,cause or RESPONSIBILITY for it.