logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Web Watcher  
#21 Posted : 04 April 2009 16:18:32(UTC)
Web Watcher

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Out of the blue a certain Andrew Bingham knocked on my door doing a bit of canvassing for the upcoming elections. He asked if there were any issues which I thought needed to be addressed so I mentioned our parking problems. He made a note and said he would take forward for discussion.
Like the rest of us he knows that there are far too few "parking attendants" for the whole of Derbyshire but hopes, like the rest of us, that after a little more time the problem will improve as some of the people who outstay their welcome on a regular basis have been given a ticket.
Pete  
#22 Posted : 06 April 2009 10:15:08(UTC)
Pete

Parking charges will discourage shoppers. I am thrilled that we may have someone stopping the police from parking on the pavement and people from parking on the crossing.

Frankie  
#23 Posted : 09 April 2009 15:53:39(UTC)
Frankie

I notice we still have cars for sale on the main road between Forge Road and the railway bridge.Taking up parking places.
Over the hill but not far away  
#24 Posted : 10 April 2009 00:57:48(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

I have to say that I never, ever, ever (even on bonfire night)  have not been able to park at any time of day or night within a reasonable walklng distance of Bellas cafe. Just leave things as they are.

A proportion of the council tax from each of the new builds we have had over the last few years at about £1500 pa from each dwelling should surely be used to create the amenities needed (as expressed to their elected represenatives) by residents.  More parking spaces though generate more traffic  (including from the idle and overweight that really could do with the walk/cycle).  If the able bodied amongst us were to leave our cars at home more often-the less able would be able to park more easily.

Maybe all business's on the Bings should be required to make provision for their employees parking-to this end there is a car park available to rent right now. 

We could equally always pave over paradise

cheers

Edited by user 10 April 2009 19:40:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Web Watcher  
#25 Posted : 10 April 2009 19:10:24(UTC)
Web Watcher

Well it's funny you should say that "Over the hill but not far away" I went into the village twice on Thursday and managed to park both times.  I usually have no luck at all but the first time there was a space on the main drag outside the now closed Italian and the second time I paked on Canal Street.

Perhaps the parking attendants are making a difference? 

Edited by user 10 April 2009 19:11:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG  
#26 Posted : 16 May 2009 03:36:56(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Parking in Whaley is one of the more contentious posts on this forum, with several pages of posts. Unfortunately , whenever plans for progress are put forward by parties , very little attention towards parking is given. In talking to the person developing plans for the future development of the transhipment warehouse, it became clear that the plan did not encompass parking,and that parking was assumed to be largely absorbed by the Bingswood car park. In talking to the person involved in the planning of development of Bingswood industrial estate post 2nd bridge, it became clear that parking space was not a primary focus in the plans, and that despite the number of additional jobs and vehicles that would be hopefuly attracted into the area, the issue about where they might park had not been thought through. Recently, a company within Bingswood Industrial estate cancelled their arrangement for parking within the estate and as a result a large number of cars are now trying to find parking spaces elsewhere in Whaley. At the most recent Town Council meeting, it was pointed out by a local resident that the doctors surgery in Whaley has seen recent expansion and there are therfore a number of staff vehicles which have added to parking congestion. Recent changes to parking enforcement now mean that the limited parking spaces in Whaley are now more ridgidly enforced, and as a result people in areas closely peripheral to the centre of Whaley are seeing unfamiliar cars being parked where they would rather they weren't !

On top of all of this is a realistic desire to make Whaley Bridge a more attractive place to visit, both in terms of the Heritage Lottery Fund application for the Memorial Park, and the general aspirations of businesses in Whaley Bridge , and of Whaley Bridge Town Council, who would like to bring new jobs and new opportunities into Whaley Bridge. My own view, which does differ from some others, who believe that people can travel here by train , by bus, by bike, by boat or on foot, is that the majority of people who might visit Whaley Bridge over the coming years will do so by car. Were I asked to plot a graph of people visiting Whaley by car over the coming years, I might expect it to peak over the next 10  to 20 years, declining therafter in line with reduced oil supplies, and as increased taxes on fuel and legislation on use of vehicles  kicks in. You can argue all you want about timing, but  eventually parking wont be a problem, because there wont be any cars. However,  in the near future, if we want to bring jobs into Whaley and people into Whaley, then I believe that we have to accept that this inevitably means that there will be more cars coming into Whaley.

At the council meeting before last, I proposed that WBTC/HPBC should look at addressing the parking issues in Whaley Bridge. I put forward some of the suggestions that were raised on this forum, as well as some others. I am completely against paying for parking in small villages, as I think it would be disasterous for trade.  Primarily, I suggested that HPBC should look at extending the existing Bingswood car park towards the river, which I believe is entirely possible with a little bit of engineering work to ensure that where the extended car park meets the river, the ground remains stable. Piling may well be neccessary to achieve this.  Cllr Pritchard ( as an HPBC Borough councillor) reported that further extension of the car park had been discussed before  it was built, and he was going to see if HPBC could look at this again. I'll report back on this in due course. I also believe that the existing parking space layout  in the car park is less than optimal, and with some rearrangement  of the existing space it may be possible to create a number of new spaces.

Parking in Whaley Bridge will never be as easy as it was in R.S.S's picture which is attached. He sent me this some weeks ago and I apologize for the delay in getting it on.  As he says...

" I see there is a discussion going on about the lack of parking in Whaley. Well as you can see from the attached photo I had no problems at all this Saturday morning. It was very early, i will admit,I even spotted our good leader on his way home from the corner shop. "

Cheers

Jon.

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
centrewhaley2.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#27 Posted : 16 May 2009 14:44:28(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good grief Councillor Goldfinch,

Whatever have you done to me and my faithful steed?

It looks like we have been cut in half. This isn’t another attempt by King Jake our famous resident magician to get on Britain’s got Talent is it?

Although I could see sawing a horse in half might go down well with Amanda Holden. But I think it would be visually better if the horse was sawn vertically rather than horizontally.

Incidentally, just getting back to parking in Whaley if anyone has any photos going back about twenty years or so, or maybe even a bit less, just have a look at how little traffic there was in the town. You might be surprised. Well you will be.

R. S-S
High Peak Harry  
#28 Posted : 16 May 2009 17:22:29(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Can you imagine what the traffic situation would be like if the by-pass didn't exist. What chance do you think there would be of getting one now, given current financial problems
faced nationally. They are having a hell of a job trying to get one in Tintwistle and anyone who has been through there knows the problems they face daily with lorries. Can you
imagine all the tipper lorries that use the by-pass today having to go through Whaley, it doesn't bear thinking about.
CllrJonG  
#29 Posted : 16 May 2009 19:22:14(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Sorry R.S.S, but the print of the photo was folded, and my scanner has been quite clever at highlighting it !

I've had a go at retouching the photo. 

File Attachment(s):
centrewhaley2_retouch.jpg (520kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#30 Posted : 16 May 2009 19:28:48(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Ah,

Thank you Jon. We both feel much better.

R.S-S
Jake  
#31 Posted : 18 May 2009 07:44:24(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Good afternoon R. S-S

If I understand you correctly I am still working hard as a magician practicing for “Britain’s Got Talent” with part of my act involving cutting a horse in half.

How wrong you are, firstly I can’t find a suitable box to put the horse in but more importantly, I can’t find a horse, which I am led to believe is an essential part of my act. I’m not sure that if I could find one that I can get it to lie on its back with its legs in the air. These major drawbacks mean I have had to adopt a new act.

I have it would appear made it through to the next round virtually unnoticed, for those who saw the programme last night didn’t anybody spot me doing the “soft Irish jig” in my traditional Irish dance costume.

Simon Cowell was not impressed but luckily the audience, Amand and Peirs saw my potential.

I have just watched today’s repeat and refute the criticism that my feet were not moving in time with the music, it was obviously the slight time delay you get on these recorded programs.

I can appreciate that you thought the Eurovision Song Contest was far more important but I think you can view my superb performance on the ITV Player.

Please do not be mislead by the articles in the national newspapers claiming that I am a defrocked priest. I have never worn a frock in my life or been out with a priest.

Jake

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Good grief Councillor Goldfinch,

Whatever have you done to me and my faithful steed?

It looks like we have been cut in half. This isn’t another attempt by King Jake our famous resident magician to get on Britain’s got Talent is it?

Although I could see sawing a horse in half might go down well with Amanda Holden. But I think it would be visually better if the horse was sawn vertically rather than horizontally.

Incidentally, just getting back to parking in Whaley if anyone has any photos going back about twenty years or so, or maybe even a bit less, just have a look at how little traffic there was in the town. You might be surprised. Well you will be.

R. S-S

Edited by user 18 May 2009 08:56:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Techy  
#32 Posted : 18 May 2009 22:44:21(UTC)

“Britain’s Got Talent” and this has what to do with parking in Whaley!  

Please don't turn an important topic into another Jake/R.S.S banter thread!

Great photo Jon!

Edited by user 18 May 2009 22:48:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

lord cornflake  
#33 Posted : 19 May 2009 05:40:34(UTC)
lord cornflake

Hear hear Techy.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#34 Posted : 19 May 2009 08:48:46(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Techy,

If you read Cllr Jon’s post you will see the photo was not his but mine.

But I accept your thanks anyway.

R. S-S

Techy wrote:

“Britain’s Got Talent” and this has what to do with parking in Whaley!  

Please don't turn an important topic into another Jake/R.S.S banter thread!

Great photo Jon!

Techy  
#35 Posted : 19 May 2009 19:25:05(UTC)

Easy mistake to make, as Jon posted it!

Anyhow back to the parking.  I think the enforcement officers are slowly making a difference!

Edited by user 19 May 2009 19:28:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#36 Posted : 19 May 2009 19:37:50(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Techy and Fedup,

I see you are both on line at the moment and I wondered if you had chance to see my post regarding the small amount of traffic in Whaley less than twenty years ago.

It really is quite amazing and when you look at the same scene (i.e. Market Street) on photos taken during previous decades it is very startling. Going back you can see old/ modern cars such as Cortinas and Vauxhall Crestas. Before that were old vintage cars and long before that horses and carts. Before that even, when the streets were cobbled, farmers would herd cows and sheep through the main street to sell on The Jodrell Approach.

R. S-S