logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pensionman  
#61 Posted : 18 November 2013 22:54:40(UTC)
pensionman

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I always find it more beneficial to see how the person articulates. Quite easy to judge a person by their words & command of the keyboard, but facial, intonation etc is lost. You could very easily read a script of Coronation Street, the news, King Lear, Life of Brian, but you'd lose the message without those subtleties.I'll get me coat!
Rosie Burdock  
#62 Posted : 19 November 2013 06:35:43(UTC)
Rosie Burdock

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thank you davethescope  for your informative reply however I stand by my statement, you cannot complain effectively after the event when the opportunity to actively contribute to a plan is there, I say again -go to the meetings , that is what they are for.
davethescope  
#63 Posted : 19 November 2013 08:19:10(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Rosie Burdock Go to Quoted Post
Thank you davethescope  for your informative reply however I stand by my statement, you cannot complain effectively after the event when the opportunity to actively contribute to a plan is there, I say again -go to the meetings , that is what they are for.

That is ludicrous on both philosophical and practical grounds.

We don't live in Ancient Greece, we are governed, at all levels, as a representative democracy.    We elect representatives who we should be able to trust to represent the best interests of the electors.   It should not be necessary to attend meetings to ensure that the members honour their manifesto commitments.   It is quite impracticable for all of the several thousand voters in the constituency to attend every council meeting.   If they choose to do so I am very sure that some restriction on the numbers allowed .would be put in place

And even if I had attended the meeting I would have had part in the decision.  That is made entirely by the Council.   A much fairer criticism of me would be to say that if  I don't like the way the Council is behaving I should put myself up for election.  

Edited by user 19 November 2013 08:24:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
pensionman  
#64 Posted : 19 November 2013 15:54:18(UTC)
pensionman

Sorry Dave. But I can't see the erection of red telephone boxes be on any manifesto bar the Raving. looney party! Rosie is correct as the meeting gives you the chance to air your views in real time, not to moan after the event.
G. Jackson  
#65 Posted : 19 November 2013 17:36:42(UTC)
G. Jackson

Just a little note to back davethescope in all this, just because he is the one doing the complaining it doesn't mean that he is the only one with a complaint.

G.J. 
davethescope  
#66 Posted : 19 November 2013 18:10:38(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: pensionman Go to Quoted Post
Sorry Dave. But I can't see the erection of red telephone boxes be on any manifesto bar the Raving. looney party
Rosie is correct as the meeting gives you the chance to air your views in real time, not to moan after the event.

If I had aired my views at the meeting I would have got, at best, a polite "Thank you" and the project would have gone ahead just the same.    Would I then have been entitled to complain after the event or are you of the opinion that the Council meeting is the only legitimate place to complain.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Whaley Laner  
#67 Posted : 20 November 2013 13:18:54(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have been following this thread for sometime now with interest.I have to say I find the red telephone box both attractive and informative, unlike the one now residing on Bings Road which looks tatty,decaying and unloved and more to the point fairly useless. As I understand it anyone could have gone along to the meeting to decide how this money would be spent and how the telephone box would ultimately look and function but oh no that was too easy an option -far better to wait until everything was arranged and then have a good old moan  and grouch about it. I suggest to the  forum members and anyone else for that matter that rather than sit in front of your computer screens giving people who have volunteered their time for good causes ( and in the interest of the people of Whaley Bridge) you get along to the meetings and take an active part in the  decision making  of this village! You never know you may even enjoy constructively giving up some of your free time.

Sometimes Rosie the best option is to do nothing. If the decision to move the red telephone box hadn't been taken there would still be a phone box on Bings Road; there wouldn't be an awful eyesore in the conservation area; there would still be £5,999 to spend on worthwhile schemes. This whole project is another example of the Labour Party policy of Tax, Spend and Waste.
sinope  
#68 Posted : 20 November 2013 13:55:42(UTC)
sinope

I have been following this thread for sometime now with interest.I have to say I find the red telephone box both attractive and informative, unlike the one now residing on Bings Road which looks tatty,decaying and unloved and more to the point fairly useless. As I understand it anyone could have gone along to the meeting to decide how this money would be spent and how the telephone box would ultimately look and function but oh no that was too easy an option -far better to wait until everything was arranged and then have a good old moan  and grouch about it. I suggest to the  forum members and anyone else for that matter that rather than sit in front of your computer screens giving people who have volunteered their time for good causes ( and in the interest of the people of Whaley Bridge) you get along to the meetings and take an active part in the  decision making  of this village! You never know you may even enjoy constructively giving up some of your free time.

I too have been following this thread, and having bitten my lip for some time I can't stay quiet a moment longer. As a resident of Bings Road, I started this thread way back in Jan 2012. Despite being pretty clued-up on local politics, I was unaware of the meetings to decide the fate of our phone box, and was dismayed at the stealth and speed by which it was stolen from us. Nearby residents were not informed of the plans - had we been, then I'm sure there would have been many suggestions and enthusiasm for taking it on a project that would keep the phonebox in situ. A simple notice in the box would've been enough to alert us, but no, the phone was removed and the box spirited away before anyone knew anything about it.

I am personally very pleased that the owner of Bings Farm has generously replaced the box at his own expense, and feel much offended by your comment that it looks tatty, decaying and unloved. Are you planning to do something to smarten it up? Please let us know, I'm sure your help would be much appreciated.

dougie  
#69 Posted : 21 November 2013 12:51:38(UTC)
dougie

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I have looked at this thread for some time. I have no axe to grind against any local councillors, celebrities or even the more verbose contributants featured on this forum. I have a limited opinion on the subject, and as I see topics often steered round to need qualifying as being worthy of "local" citizenship, (I,ve only lived here 13 years) I still feel the point needs to be illuminated that the money spent, could have easily been put towards a more user friendly form of notice board, perhaps with a porch that meant it could be used comfortably in inclement weather. Sadly I am of the generation that remembers the red boxes all too well. Unfortunately my memory of notices posted on or in such boxes are not those that would endear passing tourists to an area? Whilst the idea of portraying the area as one with a traditional essence is commendable, maybe we should have asked, " were these iconic facilities ever plastered with notices back in the day?". As I said, I don't want to become embroiled in the argument, but maybe its a lesson for those of us who clearly feel so strong about such issues that they should participate more closely in the decisions made by local government. I,d dearly love to , but like many of us, the demands of work time are prohibitive. A final word of caution: don't personalise the arguments too much folks, its a beautiful place to live and whilst I,m sure no one meant any gross skulldugery in any of this, we all just want to see the best done by the place in which we live, but maybe we live and learn?
........end of sermon.
Kippax  
#70 Posted : 22 November 2013 12:29:16(UTC)
Kippax

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Davethescope is 100% correct it would have been a complete waste of time going to a meeting. I actually expressed my discontent for this project to a member of the town council before it went ahead, yet it was ignored and the project went ahead regardless. 
pensionman  
#71 Posted : 23 November 2013 00:26:34(UTC)
pensionman

That's every reason to go to the meeting. You can't expect a private word with a council official to guarantee that your issue will be raised. That person may not agree & could simply placate you. Attending the meeting will enable you to witness for yourself whether your voice/concerns are heard or aired. It depends how strong you feel about the subject to be motivated sufficiently to attend.

If you make enough noise you'll eventually get heard. I think it could've put to better use as a shower cubicle  for our many walkers,hikers & cyclists, for a freshen up after their exertions.
davethescope  
#72 Posted : 23 November 2013 08:54:47(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: pensionman Go to Quoted Post
Attending the meeting will enable you to witness for yourself whether your voice/concerns are heard or aired.

That can equally well be established from the minutes.   And, attending or not, there is little one can do if your concern is not addressed..

The real problem with local politics is not that too few people attend the council meetings but that too few people stand for election.   With the best will in the world, a self appointed officer is going to be less sensitive to local feeling than one who is seeking re-election.  

Kippax  
#73 Posted : 25 November 2013 13:42:01(UTC)
Kippax

Originally Posted by: BarryRudd Go to Quoted Post

That would be most disappointing Sinope as there is very little local vandalism and the box will be in view of the CCTV cameras at the Station and on Market Street.

Martin Thomas now tells us - the metal engraving was removed from the bottom of the station approach as it was in danger of vandalism in such a prominent position.

Just how many bad decisions can be made by so few? The people responsible for this fiasco should just admit it's been a terrible waste of taxpayers money.

UnrealCity  
#74 Posted : 25 November 2013 23:22:10(UTC)
UnrealCity

Man

Originally Posted by: Kippax Go to Quoted Post

Martin Thomas now tells us - the metal engraving was removed from the bottom of the station approach as it was in danger of vandalism in such a prominent position.

Just how many bad decisions can be made by so few? The people responsible for this fiasco should just admit it's been a terrible waste of taxpayers money.

The plaque is owned by Friends of the Station, and has been repositioned by them.
Cllr Martin Thomas
Chair Whaley Bridge Town Council
Member for Yeardsley Ward
manwithastick  
#75 Posted : 26 November 2013 23:14:59(UTC)
manwithastick

United Kingdom

What a lot of fuss about a telephone box! This looks great, there's one in High Lane/Hawk Green rat run I see every day in a garden looking very sad. If I can I'll post a picture of it.
Whaley Laner  
#76 Posted : 08 December 2013 12:28:01(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Originally Posted by: Whaley Laner Go to Quoted Post
Hi Jon

Has a decision been made regarding the garden on Whaley Lane/Reservoir Road? Action has certainly been taken with the overgrown area now cleared and already looking much better. I do believe this area has the potential to be an attractive feature of the conservation area and would cost a fraction of the £6,000 that has been spent on moving the red phone box from Bings Road to the Station Car Park.

Is there any news on the garden?
JonG  
#77 Posted : 09 December 2013 15:35:54(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I have asked some questions and will be suggesting it as a potential site for a community garden, as part of the neighbourhood plan.
Cheers

Jon.
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
thanks 1 user thanked JonG for this useful post.
Whaley Laner on 15/12/2013(UTC)
Whaley Laner  
#78 Posted : 15 December 2013 12:46:54(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Originally Posted by: JonG Go to Quoted Post
I have asked some questions and will be suggesting it as a potential site for a community garden, as part of the neighbourhood plan.
Cheers
Jon.

Thanks Jon

This garden used to be beautiful when Dorothy Pearson and Catherine Harlow looked after it and I'm sure it could be once more. Could it be designated as a Memorial Garden?
thanks 1 user thanked Whaley Laner for this useful post.
Wanderer returns on 15/12/2013(UTC)
Whaley Laner  
#79 Posted : 02 February 2014 13:01:23(UTC)
Whaley Laner

I've now been told it's cost around £1000 to put the quirky map on the phone box. Can anyone confirm this is correct and is this sum included or is it in addition to the £6000 we know the red box venture has already cost?
Horwich Ender  
#80 Posted : 02 February 2014 13:12:22(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Originally Posted by: Whaley Laner Go to Quoted Post
I've now been told it's cost around £1000 to put the quirky map on the phone box. Can anyone confirm this is correct and is this sum included or is it in addition to the £6000 we know the red box venture has already cost?

Good afternoon Whaley Laner.

I don't know the answer to your question but the owners of the Telephone Box project are all members of this forum so it is possible your query will be answered.

Town Clerk has not yet posted on this thread but the three other project leaders, BarryRudd, JonG and UnrealCity have all made contributions.

It would appear the forum member who has the username BarryRudd no longer uses it but prefers to post under one of his other multiple pseudonyms e.g Over the hill but not far away, Matthew Hopkins etc.