logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
G. Jackson  
#41 Posted : 02 November 2013 19:13:45(UTC)
G. Jackson

Groups: Member

If it has a lock when is it locked and unlocked? Including Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays. All at a cost to someone!

G.J.
pensionman  
#42 Posted : 03 November 2013 13:01:36(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
May be a sign should be placed at the Mechanics to indicate there are more signs available in the red phone box & if that fails to please such inclined sign readers, that there are more signs to be read in the newsagent opposite or down at the Post office & the canal basin. May be a new telephone box could be located at the canal basin as well? May be place a phone in it?

Edited by user 03 November 2013 13:02:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Whaley Laner  
#43 Posted : 03 November 2013 13:15:12(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: UnrealCity Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I am the secretary of the W4w community forum. The minutes are on this website. The box is intended to serve as a community information point, directing visitors to places to eat and drink, and shop. The box did indeed cost £1, on condition it is not resold. Reconditioned boxes have a much higher market value. The box cost something like £1,000 to be stripped down & repainted. The main expenditure was to reconfigure the street furniture in this corner of the car park, to lay a foundation to Network Rail spec, and to pave the area. This item was put out to tender. The winning tender was for something of the order of £3.5k. Further expenditure arose to paint the door and to reglaze the box, fit a lock & etc. The budget which is referred to above (approved by the Town Council) also includes a seat, and some art work which is still in course of production. We are still working out how to fit a suitable seat given the need to open the notice board behind. A notice in the next Town Newsletter invites businesses to advertise, initially for free. All this above expenditure is covered 50% by a grant from the Borough, and 50% by the Town Council.

I would like to ask Martin Thomas chairman of Whaley Bridge Town Council and secretary of W4w a question.

Do you consider the spending of approximately £6000 of local taxpayers money on the Red Telephone Box project to be worthwhile?

UnrealCity  
#44 Posted : 03 November 2013 22:27:32(UTC)
UnrealCity

Man

Originally Posted by: pensionman Go to Quoted Post
May be a sign should be placed at the Mechanics to indicate there are more signs available in the red phone box & if that fails to please such inclined sign readers, that there are more signs to be read in the newsagent opposite or down at the Post office & the canal basin. May be a new telephone box could be located at the canal basin as well? May be place a phone in it?

Thanks for the suggestions, yes I will put a few signs up.

Cllr Martin Thomas
Chair Whaley Bridge Town Council
Member for Yeardsley Ward
UnrealCity  
#45 Posted : 03 November 2013 22:40:51(UTC)
UnrealCity

Man

Originally Posted by: Whaley Laner Go to Quoted Post
Hi, I am the secretary of the W4w community forum. The minutes are on this website. The box is intended to serve as a community information point, directing visitors to places to eat and drink, and shop. The box did indeed cost £1, on condition it is not resold. Reconditioned boxes have a much higher market value. The box cost something like £1,000 to be stripped down & repainted. The main expenditure was to reconfigure the street furniture in this corner of the car park, to lay a foundation to Network Rail spec, and to pave the area. This item was put out to tender. The winning tender was for something of the order of £3.5k. Further expenditure arose to paint the door and to reglaze the box, fit a lock & etc. The budget which is referred to above (approved by the Town Council) also includes a seat, and some art work which is still in course of production. We are still working out how to fit a suitable seat given the need to open the notice board behind. A notice in the next Town Newsletter invites businesses to advertise, initially for free. All this above expenditure is covered 50% by a grant from the Borough, and 50% by the Town Council.

I would like to ask Martin Thomas chairman of Whaley Bridge Town Council and secretary of W4w a question.

Do you consider the spending of approximately £6000 of local taxpayers money on the Red Telephone Box project to be worthwhile?

This area previously looked scruffy and unkempt. I do think it was worthwhile, yes. However, it will need some work and time to get this working as intended, and as I say the work is not yet fully complete.

The budget which was used is the Regeneration budget, and is designed to support initiatives like this.

Anyone interested to place an advert just needs to mail me the text, and any logo or artwork.

Edited by user 03 November 2013 22:41:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cllr Martin Thomas
UnrealCity  
#46 Posted : 03 November 2013 22:50:04(UTC)
UnrealCity

Man

Originally Posted by: Whaley Laner Go to Quoted Post

Has the metal engraving which was designed by local primary school children and was mounted on the railings at the bottom of the Jodrell Arms car park been stolen?

The metal engraving is owned by Friends of Whaley Bridge Station, and I am being told that it is being remounted in another location, at the top of the station approach. It was removed from the bottom of the station approach as it was in danger of vandalism in such a prominent position.
Cllr Martin Thomas
Matthew Hopkins  
#47 Posted : 04 November 2013 20:23:30(UTC)
Matthew Hopkins

United Kingdom

Good evening,  My wife and I were looking at the phone box on Sunday after we had enjoyed a coffee in Pear Tree cafĂ©.  We have noticed how all BT boxes are decaying and have not seen a paint brush for many years.  Recently whilst in London we noticed how well maintained those in the city were and how many tourists were having a photo taken alongside them.  The corner of the station car park certainly looks a lot better and in keeping with a conservation area than it did a year ago.  We are both looking forward to seeing the work of art placed on the rear.  Incidentally the metal plaque which I am assuming is the one referred to is now mounted on the station entrance.  Matt
You'll never walk alone
Whaley Laner  
#48 Posted : 06 November 2013 13:59:50(UTC)
Whaley Laner

I do think it was worthwhile, yes. However, it will need some work and time to get this working as intended, and as I say the work is not yet fully complete.

The budget which was used is the Regeneration budget, and is designed to support initiatives like this.

If the total project had only cost £1 I would still struggle to provide a good reason to move the Red Telephone Box from its historic position on Bings Road. To spend £6000 on the project is a waste of local taxpayers money. Just because funds are available they shouldn't be spent recklessly just for the sake of it. This is yet another example of Labour's Tax, Spend and Waste policy. I wonder how many of the taxpayers in Whaley Bridge think this is £6,000 well spent.
G. Jackson  
#49 Posted : 06 November 2013 14:33:08(UTC)
G. Jackson

I now notice that the cost has gone from £1 to £5,000 and now £6,000. Is this taking into account for the wages now and in the future for the council workmen who lock and unlock the telephone box daily (double time on Sundays and treble time on Bank Holidays)? Also what are the expected running repairs due to vandalism?
UnrealCity  
#50 Posted : 06 November 2013 23:58:53(UTC)
UnrealCity

Man

Originally Posted by: G. Jackson Go to Quoted Post
I now notice that the cost has gone from £1 to £5,000 and now £6,000. Is this taking into account for the wages now and in the future for the council workmen who lock and unlock the telephone box daily (double time on Sundays and treble time on Bank Holidays)? Also what are the expected running repairs due to vandalism?
The box was suggested by a Community Group, and endorsed by the Town Council, which comprises all parties. A reconditioned box, is worth £2400, we managed to restore ours for much less than that. As I have said before, the majority of the expenditure was in paving and rearranging the street furniture in this corner of the car park. For your information, the box is kept permanently locked. The box is accessed to add adverts as required. I am the person who does this, and like all Town Councillors we are not paid, but volunteers.
Cllr Martin Thomas
Jack  
#51 Posted : 09 November 2013 13:58:55(UTC)
Jack

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The main builder on this job has just returned after sunning himself in the caribbean................nice work if you can get it££££££££££££££
pensionman  
#52 Posted : 10 November 2013 15:12:30(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Nice one Jack, straight out of the first chapter of the Book of Bigotry. A least the contractor was from Whaley & not a townie with 2 cars!
davethescope  
#53 Posted : 15 November 2013 18:00:22(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Derbyshire's most expensive notice board goes live!!!

Edited by user 15 November 2013 18:01:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

davethescope attached the following image(s):
Image4.jpg
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Whaley Wanderer  
#54 Posted : 15 November 2013 18:51:53(UTC)
Whaley Wanderer

Maybe it's just me but it looks awful with all the posters up. Like illegal bill posting that you see on closed down shops.
davethescope  
#55 Posted : 15 November 2013 20:58:37(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Whaley Wanderer Go to Quoted Post
Maybe it's just me but it looks awful with all the posters up. Like illegal bill posting that you see on closed down shops.
I wouldn't go that far but the same effect could have bee achieved with a simple notice board facing the station.

The real idiocy about this box - apart from the cost - is the fact that after it was shifted from Bings Road the owner of the farm replaced it with one from Plymouth.   How much more sensible it would have been to leave the existing box on Bings Road and import a renovated box for the Station.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Whaley Laner  
#56 Posted : 17 November 2013 13:36:41(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Originally Posted by: Whaley Wanderer Go to Quoted Post

It isn't just you Whaley Wanderer I agree as do many others the Red Telephone Box looks awful.
Matthew Hopkins  
#57 Posted : 17 November 2013 22:10:25(UTC)
Matthew Hopkins

United Kingdom

Mr Scope  It would appear that you do not approve of this phone box but you do not seem to have grasped the fact that this box would have been removed from your road and sold off by BT.  However this has not stopped you from placing an advert (after fly posting one identical on the outside a few weeks ago) in said box on behalf of your other forum for which you have received congratulations from its founder-well done.

Edited by user 17 November 2013 22:50:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Matthew Hopkins attached the following image(s):
gnats.jpg
You'll never walk alone
davethescope  
#58 Posted : 18 November 2013 08:12:45(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Matthew Hopkins Go to Quoted Post
Mr Scope  It would appear that you do not approve of this phone box but you do not seem to have grasped the fact that this box would have been removed from your road and sold off by BT.  However this has not stopped you from placing an advert (after fly posting one identical on the outside a few weeks ago) in said box on behalf of your other forum for which you have received congratulations from its founder-well done.

I entirely approve of the concept of a notice board near the railway, advertising local attractions   But I disapprove of the form that notice board takes and of the  amount of public money spent on it.   However if this is to be the nature of the notice board then I see nothing wrong in taking advantage of it to force the Council to recognize the existence of the other web site,  (which, for commercial reasons, may not be named here).

On your first point:   I still think that if the Council had negotiated with BT and Jim Burgess it might have been possible to buy the Bings Road box in situ.   Nothing would have been lost by trying.

And congratulations from such an unexpected quarter mean a great deal to me.  Thank you

Edited by user 18 November 2013 08:13:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rosie Burdock  
#59 Posted : 18 November 2013 20:50:52(UTC)
Rosie Burdock

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have been following this thread for sometime now with interest.I have to say I find the red telephone box both attractive and informative, unlike the one now residing on Bings Road which looks tatty,decaying and unloved and more to the point fairly useless. As I understand it anyone could have gone along to the meeting to decide how this money would be spent and how the telephone box would ultimately look and function but oh no that was too easy an option -far better to wait until everything was arranged and then have a good old moan  and grouch about it. I suggest to the  forum members and anyone else for that matter that rather than sit in front of your computer screens giving people who have volunteered their time for good causes ( and in the interest of the people of Whaley Bridge) you get along to the meetings and take an active part in the  decision making  of this village! You never know you may even enjoy constructively giving up some of your free time.
davethescope  
#60 Posted : 18 November 2013 21:46:23(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

As this thread http://www.whaleybridge....t.aspx?g=posts&t=585 illustrates it is far from straight forward to find out what the Council is planning ot, indeed what the Council has decided.

In this modern connected age it should not be necessary to physically attend a meeting to find out what is going on.

Edited by user 18 November 2013 21:51:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified