logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sinope  
#1 Posted : 20 January 2012 11:53:00(UTC)
sinope

Groups: Member

I notice that the payphone has been removed from the red phonebox on Bings Road. The door is locked, but there is a notice inside to say that the box is now the property of the local authority. Does anyone know if the LA has any plans for such phoneboxes?

moogie  
#2 Posted : 20 January 2012 15:15:55(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)

well if they sell them or want them recycled...Id have one....always wanter one as a shower cubical!

snowy  
#3 Posted : 20 January 2012 15:17:30(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

This is from the minutes of the WB council meeting in November:

C11/131 Relocating Red Heritage Telephone Box

Ownership of the box had been transferred to the Town Council. At the W4Wmeeting held on 9/11/2011, it had been agreed that the preferred location for the telephone box was at the Station Car Park and, secondly, in front of the Railway public house on Market Street.

RESOLVED: That the Clerk obtain approval and/or Planning Permission for the telephone box to be sited at the Station Car Park (owned by HPBC) for use as a public information point.

sinope  
#4 Posted : 20 January 2012 16:07:46(UTC)
sinope

Oh dear. The one on Bings Road has survived this long. Can't see it faring well on the Station Car Park. It'll be wrecked in no time.

Barry Rudd  
#5 Posted : 20 January 2012 17:50:24(UTC)

Groups: Guest

That would be most disappointing Sinope as there is very little local vandalism and the box will be in view of the CCTV cameras at the Station and on Market Street.

All groups in Whaley4Wards are supporting this project which is proceeding.  The box will be removed and restored before being relocated and fitted out for its new purpose -  a community and tourist information point.  The cost of the box was £1.

We will keep the forum informed of developments

Regards

Barry 

Edited by user 20 January 2012 17:53:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

davethescope  
#6 Posted : 22 January 2012 09:15:25(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Since the reason for the demise of the humble telephone box is the almost universal spread of mobile 'phones, a very logical use of old boxes would be to house micro cellphone base stations in locations where there is no coverage.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
moogie  
#7 Posted : 23 January 2012 09:46:46(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)

ddoes anyone know if the 1 in buggy is included in this?...

snoopy  
#8 Posted : 24 January 2012 07:38:04(UTC)
snoopy

Barry Rudd wrote:

The box will be removed and restored before being relocated and fitted out for its new purpose -  a community and tourist information point. 

I just had this vision of a dozen tourists crammed in a phone box.

Seriously though, this sounds a good idea. Would be nice to restore it and see it being used  

Digger  
#9 Posted : 24 January 2012 21:57:56(UTC)
Digger

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

snoopy wrote:

Barry Rudd wrote:

The box will be removed and restored before being relocated and fitted out for its new purpose -  a community and tourist information point. 

I just had this vision of a dozen tourists crammed in a phone box.

Maybe they are not expecting that many tourists?

Pete D  
#10 Posted : 20 February 2012 13:10:34(UTC)
Pete D

Shame it's being moved as I used to shelter in it sometimes on my walk home from the pub, especially if I was "over tired" !!!:) I've also seen many tourists (mainly American and Japanese) having their pictures taken next to it with the hills as a backdrop, so even out on the Bings it was a tourist attraction.
parabuild  
#11 Posted : 20 February 2012 13:21:43(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Sad to see another colouful landmark disappear. It was still there just over a week ago minus glass and doors

parabuild attached the following image(s):
bings.jpg
Barry Rudd  
#12 Posted : 21 February 2012 14:47:46(UTC)

The box has now been removed and taken for blast cleaning after all glass and the door was carefully removed on site.

It was a little strange walking down the lane on Sunday and turning down the track at the point where it used to be.

It should reappear in the Station car park hopefully in the correct century

Cheers

Ferni  
#13 Posted : 19 November 2012 22:53:41(UTC)
Ferni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

can I ask who or what is funding the relocation and change of purpose of this old box? 

I find the idea of an old phone box being used as an information point and then located on the Jodrell carpark to be more than slightly ludicrous.

Who on earth thought this was a good idea,  and decided to plonk it there?... can't be any old bod can it, so it has to be one of the 'powers that be'.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
silversurfer  
#14 Posted : 21 November 2012 00:29:30(UTC)
silversurfer

Dr Goldfinch needed a new tardis !
JonG  
#15 Posted : 21 November 2012 01:55:07(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Please see http://www.whaleybridge.com/whaley4wards-minutes/  and  http://www.whaleybridge.com/whaley4wards/  for details about this project and other ongoing projects from Whaley4Wards.

Please feel free to suggest  or participate in other future projects yourself.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Jenny Megson  
#16 Posted : 23 November 2012 13:02:02(UTC)

Sounds like an interesting idea. I've seen it done elsewhere, Edinburgh for starters and funnily enough in Austin, Texas. They also had an old red postbox with the front cut out and a touch-pad computer screen for local info. May be a bit out of budget to that here but I hope local groups will utilize it. Will anyone be able to go ans add info or will this be in the hands of the Town Council?
Benno  
#17 Posted : 23 November 2012 17:04:22(UTC)
Benno

Jenny Megson wrote:
Sounds like an interesting idea. I've seen it done elsewhere, Edinburgh for starters and funnily enough in Austin, Texas. They also had an old red postbox with the front cut out and a touch-pad computer screen for local info. May be a bit out of budget to that here but I hope local groups will utilize it. Will anyone be able to go ans add info or will this be in the hands of the Town Council?

Hmmm. If anyone can use it, what are the chances of somesimular 'advertising' to what you see in London 'phone boxes appearing?

Seriously though, I actally think it is a great idea abd it is cool to see these iconic designs on the streets still, even if the origional use is now a little redundant.
MrTrueman  
#18 Posted : 21 May 2013 13:20:20(UTC)
MrTrueman

Groups: Administration

Is this what is being installed in the Jodrell car pack at the moment?
Regards,

Mr Trueman

Whaleybridge.com Volunteer

Whaley Bridge website needs your help. Please email us your local news and events.
http://www.whaleybridge.com/contact/

Please support our local Computer Company, Trusted IT they provide this forum for all to use.
http://www.trustedit.co.uk
UnrealCity  
#19 Posted : 22 May 2013 10:13:43(UTC)
UnrealCity

Man

Yes, the box should be lifted into place sometime Thursday morning. The target is 10.30 am, but if additional equipment is needed, it will be a bit later. The intention is then to fit paving around it, return the signs, waste bin and totem; and install a seat. The door will be fitted later, and new glazing. The door will be kept locked. A programme to fill the panes with info will commence sometime in June.
Cllr Martin Thomas
Chair Whaley Bridge Town Council
Member for Yeardsley Ward
Whaley Laner  
#20 Posted : 23 June 2013 12:39:04(UTC)
Whaley Laner

I've been told it's costing more than £5,000 to move the red phone box from Bings Road to the Station Car Park. Can anyone confirm this is correct?