logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Whaley Wanderer  
#21 Posted : 31 May 2009 21:40:52(UTC)
Whaley Wanderer

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Jake wrote:
The list's of organisations etc is down to the website committee who can be contacted via Admin. The information was originally correct but the onus is really on those groups to inform Admin of the changes so the website can be updated. The site is run by volunteers they can't be expected to chase around after these people updating the info a simple e-mail to Admin when the changes happen would have been the answer and have kept the site up to date. Perhaps you want to volunteer to hepl run the site?

Jake

I think the problem is that many of the organisations aren't aware that they're listed on here, and so an E-mail to admin wouldn't come into the equation for them. I think the list is from a year 2000 guide to Whaley Bridge, and the details have been transcribed to this website.  Many people have moved on, and the list really does need to be updated if it is to be meaningful.  

How was the info initially collated?  Maybe that exercise needs to be repeated.  This would also (hopefully) draw peoples attention to this site and maybe it would get more use from both local people and visitors.  I would be more than happy to help in anyway - point me in the right direction.

Jake  
#22 Posted : 01 June 2009 07:52:18(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Hi Whaley Wanderer

First port of call is the Town Clerk at the Mechanics you could e-mail her you comments from the forum, asking that the website committee to look at up dating the list and you could even offer you services in helping to do it, and, or, ask if you could join the website committee that run the site. i know their is a vacancy as I have just resigned from the committee due to ill health.

Jake

Jake
Whaley Wanderer  
#23 Posted : 01 June 2009 19:30:32(UTC)
Whaley Wanderer

Well I have contacted admin with the proposal of updating the information on the website, and volanteered my services in collating any necessary information to do that.  Maybe it won't be seen as a priority, but I think more people would use the site overall if they could get up to date information.

Jake  
#24 Posted : 02 June 2009 06:41:55(UTC)

Well done Sir

I know that the website committee met last night and I hope the matter was discussed I brought it to the attention of the Town Clerk yesterday morning.

Jake
Trick Cyclist  
#25 Posted : 07 June 2009 13:39:04(UTC)
Trick Cyclist

Sorry cannot agree with you Wily. The old forum was a pain this site is now much more user friendly and I have never experienced any problems with slow access etc.

In regards to contrubuters well it's up to everybody to add sparkle !!!

Horwich Ender  
#26 Posted : 17 June 2009 14:27:07(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hello Wily

Whilst you do make some valid points I can't agree with your comments regarding R Stephenson – Smythe. I find the contributions from this gentleman to be informative, intelligent and on the whole very entertaining. One posting in particular relating to D J Talent, Paul Daniels and some of our local councilors, kept me smiling for hours. I am convinced that this posting was on the new forum but I am struggling to find it. 

Perhaps R Stephenson-Smythe himself or another member could tell me under which topic heading this posting was made.

Edited by user 18 June 2009 12:42:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jake  
#27 Posted : 17 June 2009 15:45:11(UTC)

It was on the new forum and if memory serves me well I was the main butt of the joke. Sadly the two other Councillors mentioned took offence and had the items removed.

Some may feel that they took advantage of their privileged position as they contaced Admin directly, something you could not do, if you took umbridge to a posting that insulted you.

Like you I just saw the funny side of the joke.
Fedup  
#28 Posted : 17 June 2009 18:55:46(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Well, at my age I thought nothing else could surprise me, but your post Jake just takes the biscuit. I think the Councillors concerned should be enrolled in a course designed to improve their self esteem if they are unable to take some good humoured digs. They certainly don't seem to be ideal candidates for public office, where one would think a slightly thickened skin would be a prequisite of the job.

But that's just my personal opinion!
Jake  
#29 Posted : 18 June 2009 08:22:05(UTC)

Fedup

I'm with you on this one and can't fault your thinking in anyway shape or form.
Horwich Ender  
#30 Posted : 18 June 2009 10:08:04(UTC)
Horwich Ender

“councillors took offence and had the items removed”

What's going on here!

I can't recall the posting breaching the rules of this forum and can think of no good reason why it should have been removed. It would be helpful if “Admin” could answer the following: 

Who are you and what is your role? 

What were the reasons for removing the postings from R Stephenson-Smythe?

Edited by user 18 June 2009 12:43:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#31 Posted : 18 June 2009 20:24:26(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Having just read today's post from the Town Clerk, it would seem that ANY comment concerning certain Councillors is going to be regarded as impolite and inconsiderate.

Having re-read some of the posts where Jake has taken an enormous amount of flak and responded with good humour and wit, and in so doing has won over many people, I would encourage these Councillors to join in the debates on this Forum, and not get carried away with themselves.

And that's my last word on the subject, and I hope it was neither impolite nor inconsiderate - just an opinion.
Over the hill but not far away  
#32 Posted : 19 June 2009 00:00:33(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

It would appear that some of us are "more equal than others"

Cheers

PS . sorry no stalinist  porcine emoticon available to attach

Edited by user 19 June 2009 00:02:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MrTrueman  
#33 Posted : 19 June 2009 00:30:34(UTC)
MrTrueman

Groups: Administration

We ALL have the option to use the 'Report Abusive' link that is located on the bottom right of every post.  This alerts the moderators of the post.

Regards,

Mr Trueman

Whaleybridge.com Volunteer

Whaley Bridge website needs your help. Please email us your local news and events.
http://www.whaleybridge.com/contact/

Please support our local Computer Company, Trusted IT they provide this forum for all to use.
http://www.trustedit.co.uk
Horwich Ender  
#34 Posted : 19 June 2009 17:14:41(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon Town Clerk.

I am assuming your posting under the Topic Heading “Use of the Forum” is a reply to the comments made under this thread. It would appear we have a situation where, if certain councillors don't like the content of a particular post they simply contact “Admin” and have the subject removed on the grounds that they consider it to be impolite and inconsiderate. I was under the impression that this is not a Town Council website but is a community forum for discussions relating to Whaley Bridge which can be used by anyone. I would agree with previous comments and would encourage these councillors to join in the debates on this forum. In this respect perhaps yourself or the councillors concerned could advise us of their understanding of the purpose of this forum.

High Peak Harry  
#35 Posted : 20 June 2009 10:42:57(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Ve haf vays of stopping you typing.

For you Tommy ze forum is over.

Bartak  
#36 Posted : 20 June 2009 11:27:08(UTC)

Was it not Adolf Hitler who once said 

I am in favour of freedom of speech as long as the speaker shares my views. 

GEHEIME STAATSPOLIZEI

lord cornflake  
#37 Posted : 20 June 2009 12:30:53(UTC)
lord cornflake

nine danker fraulein.

wily  
#38 Posted : 21 June 2009 12:57:26(UTC)

Who are the two councillors who have been instrumental in having items removed from this forum ?

silversurfer  
#39 Posted : 21 June 2009 19:02:35(UTC)
silversurfer

Ummm...........nothing seems to have changed in my absence !

Bob Bowker  
#40 Posted : 21 June 2009 19:36:35(UTC)
Bob Bowker

I have read the many comments on the subject of the new site and have to say that it not as straight forward to use as the old site, and I dare say that this has put a few previous users off.

Also can I ask, why do we have to be graded when we use the site? What difference should there be between 'Newbies' and 'Advanced members' (does that mean aged members?). There should be no distinction. Also what are the groups and why?