logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Beverley_Macca  
#1 Posted : 28 May 2009 22:29:13(UTC)
Beverley_Macca

Groups: Member
Woman

Or has this forum really lost its sparkle since it went "moderated"

Come back SilverSurfer, all is forgiven.

lord cornflake  
#2 Posted : 29 May 2009 11:08:47(UTC)
lord cornflake

Its certainly not the lively controversial forum it used to be.

wily  
#3 Posted : 29 May 2009 15:22:12(UTC)

Groups: Guest

The new Forum has now been running for approximately 2 months and I feel this is a sufficient time period to consider whether the new format has been successful or not.

In my opinion the new Forum has been a total failure. 

Previously we had a vibrant Forum with many varied contributions. The layout was clear and easy to read and the coloured headings made it simple to see the most recent postings. 

The new Forum on many occasions is difficult to access, is too busy and not user friendly. It is difficult to read, with text often falling outside the margins and it is not easy to see new postings without having to scroll through previous entries.

The new Forum is dominated by 3 “advanced members” i.e Fedup, Jake and R Stephenson-Smythe. These gentlemen seem to take pleasure in hijacking a significant number of topics to engage in their own obscure personal ramblings. 

It would also appear that at least one of the gentlemen is also posting under another pseudonym. However, this may not be the case and perhaps Fedup, Jake and R Stephenson - Smythe could confirm or deny whether they have been posting under another name. 

The main failure of the new Forum is the lack of people willing to contribute to the topics. The data supplied suggests there are many people viewing the site but the majority are reluctant to contribute. There may be many reasons for this reluctance but I feel the main reason is that people are unwilling to divulge their E-mail address. In my experience an E-mail address in the wrong hands is a very dangerous position to be in.

The old Forum had it's downside and, of course, it should not be possible for contributors to place defamatory or slanderous comments on a Town Council website. However the action taken in withdrawing the old site, in my opinion, was too much and follows an increasing pattern in this country, where the minority spoil the pleasure of the majority. 

My suggestion would be to bring back the old Forum in it's previous format but with regular monitoring to ensure any unsavory postings were removed immediately. Perhaps a censorship committee could be set up comprising the Town Clerk, Town Councilors and the Administration team to ensure the regular monitoring of the site. From the postings I do not feel this would be too onerous task for the people involved. 

On a positive note the new Forum has introduced us to Gnatalee and Frankie. These two contributors have provided us with some excellent and enjoyable topics. It is a pity that people are unwilling to reply to their postings. 

These views are, of course, my own and I would welcome the comments of others if you are able, or willing to comment, as I feel that unless action is taken we may well rename the site “The Whaley Boredom.”

Jake  
#4 Posted : 29 May 2009 17:02:18(UTC)

The Website is not a Town Council site and is run by volunteers. The Town Clerk already has a full time job monitoring this site is not one of them.
Only the Admin have access to your e-mail address and would use it to ban somebody who was not playing by the rules and disrupting the forum. Your e-mail address is not available to any user. 

Edited by user 29 May 2009 17:03:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#5 Posted : 29 May 2009 20:14:42(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi Wily

I have read your post with interest and feel the need to add a few points of my own.

I wasn't a contributor to the previous board and was a little confused as to what might have gone on before. Needless to say that my view is, therefore, not coloured by what "used be".

Because I don't live in Whaley (although my family originated there, from 1850's - 1940's and my visits have been many) I was heartened on joining this forum by the help I received regarding the family photos I posted. 

Wily, you say that you have been monitoring the new board for 2 months and and now feel able to comment on how well it is going. Do you not think that had you contributed to the board it would have been a more positive action? When Chris (a newcomer to Whaley) was asking about pubs and kitchen fitters did you not feel able, when "monitoring the board", to offer friendly advice?

I don't really think it is fair to criticise when you haven't contributed yourself.

Come on the good people of Whaley Bridge - this is your community. Make use of this excellent facility!  If you aren't interested in a particular post - don't answer - just start one of your own. Not everyone is interested in the same posts. A little more variety of contributions may draw in more people - there are obviously plenty of people browsing who don't contribute - I think it is "put your money where your mouth is" time.

Regarding the title of "Advanced Member" - you only get this rank if you have contributed "x" number of times to the board - come on in, the water's fine, you too could be an Advanced member - get posting !!

I'm not having a go, as such, I just think that Whaley is lucky to have people willing to contribute to the board - I just wish more would do so. Look forward to hearing from you all.

Gnats

Edited by user 29 May 2009 20:20:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 29 May 2009 20:44:18(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Dear Gnats,

A very good post from you as always. And guess what I am not hijacking anyone’s opening thread; I am simply on here now to send you a message.
Some time ago, long before any participation from Mr Wily, we discussed the Whaley Bridge War Memorial and I think I sent Cllr Jon photos of the unveiling of that fine structure from my collection. At that time I tried to help you with your family history and your Grandad from Bridge Street. I hope I did not hijack that thread. Perhaps I did.

Anyway Gnatalee for the last few of days I have been on a small tour of duty in Northern France and on a day off I took the opportunity to visit the cemetery where your Great Uncle, WH Jones is buried. I have taken quite a few photos of the cemetery and of your Great Uncle’s grave.
However, now that I have received tuition on how to post photos on this forum, it appears that my contributions are not to the taste of everyone and consequently I am not prepared to post these photos on here. I would not have done so anyway without your permission. And now it appears that some ‘new’ contributors may find them offensive or objectionable.

Consequently I shall put the photos on a disc or memory stick, whichever is your preference, and send them to Stephanie at the Council Offices. She is a lovely person and if you contact her by email with your address I am sure she will send the photos to you. She is 100% honourable and will respect your privacy.

I hope you take up the offer. All you need to do is give me the go ahead. Your Dad will appreciate it I think.

R.S-S

Sorry to the first three contributors if you find the content of this contribution offensive or distasteful.
Gnatalee  
#7 Posted : 29 May 2009 22:07:47(UTC)
Gnatalee

R. S-S

I don't know what to say! When I read your post I couldn't believe the news !! Until last November I had not known of WHJ's existence. I had seen his name listed online for the memorial in Whaley park but my Dad said he wasn't related (he didn't know about him, having been born a number of years after his death). It was only when I obtained the records via Ancestry that I realised that WHJ on the 1901 census was my Dad's Uncle.

I can't thank you enough for your kindness in thinking about my family and taking photos of the cemetery and grave in France. My g.Uncle was posted to France during the 1st World War at the age of 18 at the beginning of April 1918 and died on the 27 April 1918. I can't imagine what the family must have gone through, and two years later they were still getting forms to sign to sort out all the formalities.

It would suit me if I could e-mail Stephanie at the Council so that she could pass on my e-mail address to you and you could then e-mail the photos. Could you let me know how to contact her please?

I shouldn't worry about offending anyone with your posting - if it does, then shame on them. You have done my family a great service with your kindness and I very much appreciate your thought and consideration. 

I look forward to hearing more !

Gnats

Edited by user 29 May 2009 22:12:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Techy  
#8 Posted : 29 May 2009 22:19:47(UTC)

wily wrote:
In my opinion the new Forum has been a total failure. 

Previously we had a vibrant Forum with many varied contributions. The layout was clear and easy to read and the coloured headings made it simple to see the most recent postings.

The main failure of the new Forum is the lack of people willing to contribute to the topics. The data supplied suggests there are many people viewing the site but the majority are reluctant to contribute.

Hi Willy

Welcome to the forum…I think it is a shame you have such strong feelings and have only just now after two months decided to contribute to the forum.

The forum is what the users make it and is simply nothing without users content.

I was not involved with the previous forum which was due to two reasons!
  • The first being the personal attacks.
  • The second being the fact that if you ever replied to an old post people would not see it as it simply dropped off the bottom of the screen.

I simply do NOT understand why anyone would want the old forum back?

We now have sensible postings (well almost) and no one can impersonate other people! On top of that we are now building up a great archive of local history! Yes it is not as busy but I think that is due to people sitting on the sidelines...a bit like yourself!

Why on earth would you want to go back? Unless of course you were one of the people that liked to impersonate over people and stir up trouble? 

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#9 Posted : 29 May 2009 23:13:40(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A very good evening to you Mr Techy,

I think you and I may have been in discussion on this current forum previously but forgive me because I can not remember the occasion.
Can I say to you that I have not used any other pseudonym on here? I have made my position absolutely clear on several occasions but for some reason I am frequently attacked by certain individuals. I have no idea of their motives for doing so.

I have a passion for local history. I have an enormous collection of , documents, drawings and memorabilia. I am only too happy to share these with anyone who is interested. I know other people who have similar collections who take the opposite view to me and feel that these items should somehow be kept secret. I do not share their views.

As for being in league with Mr Jake Walsh; I do not know the man although I have corresponded with him via email and that has been almost entirely on a personal basis and it has nothing to do with what takes place on this forum. I have no idea who Fedup is but he, to me anyway, is a very funny character who is keen to be educated on the history of Whaley Bridge. I like him.

I would imagine any person with any knowledge of Whaley Bridge would know me instantly from my contributions and local knowledge; it is to their great credit that they have all respected my privacy.

I am not on here to cause any ill feeling or upset, far from it, but should anyone need to ask me anything about Whaley Bridge I would do my very best to help them. Refer to my contributions on the thread “Can anyone help” from Sarah concerning The Walker Pit. I’m still a bit suspicious about that by the way.
I have on occasions tried to lighten the mood with some comic moments and generally these have been well received but I have now put that aspect in the locker as it seems that some people have had a sense of humour amputation. So be it.

For me it was a pleasure to help Gnatalee with her family history and it has been even more of a pleasure that I have been in a position to locate and photograph her Great Uncle’s final resting place. It is a very peaceful and beautiful place. When she receives the photos she may want to share them with viewers of this forum but that is entirely up to her. I simply could not, and now will not, do it without her permission.

I agree with you that it is a little surprising that there are posts complaining of lack of activity on here and the first we here of it is in their very first contribution after they have said they have been looking in for two months. It also seems strange that Gnatalee and Frankie are singled out for praise, and so they should be, and that they get very few replies to their contributions. A glance at the forum would identify the exact opposite to be the case.

See you soon Techy and keep posting.

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#10 Posted : 29 May 2009 23:23:03(UTC)
Gnatalee

(Am now too tired to comment but agree !)

Edited by user 29 May 2009 23:23:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Over the hill but not far away  
#11 Posted : 30 May 2009 00:17:36(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

OK, so lets think why this forum is in the doldrums.  I personally think that the layout  and format is better-in that any reply to a previous post is now at the top of the tree and not languishing unread, many pages lower.

Whaley is a unique place and has many free spirits, characters and individuals that dont like regulation-even if only perceived. It is also unfortunatley a place of much apathy- it is now approaching summer and we have evil, smelly public toilets-hardly anywhere to for our visitors to dine on a Sunday--where's the hanging baskets, where's the colour  OK a well dressing, where there was allegedly once a well. A carnival that has become a parade of wannabe starlets.  A popular "smoking shelter" that was removed ( sorry drifting off course)

During the recent bank holidays, there were no events listed on this forum

We have a significant influx of new people who do not particpate in the community apart from the odd pint in the quaint old sheps and internet shopping at the "corner shop"

I could go on, but my point is really that the forum is simply a reflection of how it really is at the moment and it needs some leadership, investment and the will of the people to change this.

Do our elected representatives have any plans? Do we want them to take the lead ? Just what do we want?

Firstly:more residents need to be made aware that there is actually a forum

Secondly: All residents must support local business and buy sea bass from the veg shop,chinley lamb form Mr Wild and wine and belgian beer from our independants -to this end an awareness campain (leaflet drop?) could be instigated-funded by the chamber of commerce-sorry, I forgot they will be mostly estate agents! 

Surely, a start would be to do something with the Jodrell the building that dominates the town and greets visitors by train and coach-but if they cant even sort out the crescent in Buxton-is there any hope

Third:-(no one expects.....etc)  cant think of a third at this hour -but I may

Cheers

Edited by user 30 May 2009 07:31:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jake  
#12 Posted : 30 May 2009 13:52:56(UTC)

Hi Gnatalee & R. S-S

I just want to offer my services for the exchange of photographs, my reason for doing this is fairly simple. Stephanie (The Town Clerk) does not use the Forum and also is very busy, I am sure she would act as a go between but rather than trouble her R. S-S has my e-mail address and can send the pictures to me, my phone number is on the Town Council section under " Councillors" and if Gnatalee telephones me one evening this week (between 6.00 & 7.00pm) and gives me her e-mail address I will forward them on.

Gnatalee I am even happy to post my e-mail address on this forum so you could contact my that way should you wish, just let me know which method is most convenient to you.

I have nothing to hide and certainly do not use another identity on this forum, being a Councillor I am easily contactable and as you have seen a constant target of criticism on this forum.

The idea of the forum is that people can communicate with others about all sorts of subjects I think this should be done in the spirit that it was created for. I think it is a great place for people to air the views and pass on information. I don't see why people with a sense of humour should be put down and as somebody has pointed out you don't have to join in, nobody is force to reply to any posting.

The freedom of speach that Gnatalee's and others peoples relatives fought for is what this country is all about however I find it fascinating that some study the postings on this forum from the side lines and then use that freedom that cost so many lives to make their first contribution a negative one and complain about how those who have been using and enjoying the forum for a while, quite sad really.

Jake

Edited by user 30 May 2009 13:55:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#13 Posted : 30 May 2009 18:07:47(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Gnatalee and Jake,

I have now put all the information for Gnatalee on a disc and I will put it in the post to Jake first thing Monday morning. You should have it Tuesday Jake and you have my permission to open and view the contents. Gnatalee contact Jake via the WBTC website for his details and I know he will forward all the information to you as a matter of urgency. There is too much to send by email I think.

There is a letter for you and your Dad Gnats and a lot of photographs of Crouy Military Cemetery where your Gr Uncle is at rest.

I also had the opportunity to visit La Clytte Military Cemetery where William Celandine Jodrell is buried. I know his grandson very well and I took some personal effects over and left them on his grave. Just what W C Jodrell was doing out there at his age I have no idea but he’s still there and being well looked after. So there are a series of photos of that cemetery and grave as well. I have also photographed Private Mitchell’s grave in the same cemetery; he was one of a great number of young men who were ‘Shot at Dawn’ to the everlasting shame of those in charge of The British Army.

Incidentally anyone interested in local history I can confirm that William Celandine Jodrell was a former ‘beer keeper’ at the Seven Stars Inn in Horwich End. I hope that information isn’t boring for people who just look in.

All the photos I have taken of this man’s final resting place are now with his Grandson who has just seen them for the first time.

I also visited Lissenthoek Military Cemetery but did not realise until today that Whaley Bridge’s Fred Hutchinson is buried there. If I had known I would have photographed his grave. If any of his relatives read this I have many photos of that cemetery but none of the actual grave. Maybe one day.

Hope all this is not upsetting you Mr Wily.

R. S-S
Frankie  
#14 Posted : 30 May 2009 18:11:25(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Well said Jake this Forum is what it should be. Hats off to R.S.S & GNATS for all their efforts into the Forum . Lets not fall back to the old Forum where main topics were which band could be the most abusive to each other. This Forum is about Whaley Bridge, if there is a group playing at a local pub let's hear about it  and how the show went down without sad comments.

Gnatalee  
#15 Posted : 30 May 2009 20:02:39(UTC)
Gnatalee

Well, what a day !

I am so grateful to you R.S-S because although I had been hoping to get out to northern France it certainly won't be this year ! My family is very fortunate to have someone kind enough to go to so much trouble. I will contact Jake this week and sort out how to get the photos.

You may or may not know R.S-S that William Cellandine Jodrell was the father of Lottie Jodrell, who married Percy Jones (brother of WHJ and uncle of my Dad, and possibly the guy in the white apron in the background of the photo which I posted of the barbers !) Percy and Lottie lost a son in the 2nd World War.

Its amazing isn't it, a couple of months ago I posted a question on this site asking what the local newspaper was to get a couple of photos printed and now, here I am, with more information than I could possibly have dreamt of and a community of friends who have helped !

Thank you all who have been chatting to me over the past couple of months - long may it last !

Gnats

Edited by user 30 May 2009 20:04:25(UTC)  | Reason: To make it pretty !

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#16 Posted : 30 May 2009 21:14:14(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Gnats,

It has been my pleasure to do this small thing for you and your Dad. I would hope someone would do the same for me if I needed such information.

Rest assured you will be very moved by what I am sending to you via Jake.

There is only one thing that I did not do and that is to take a photo for you of the grave of Corporal Harry Garnet Bedford who rests alongside WH Jones and who won both the Victoria Cross and the Croix de Guerre for heroic deeds. He was a member of the 58th Canadian Infantry and I stood over his grave but was stupid enough not to take a picture of his last resting place.

I am so sorry Harry Garnet Bedford.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#17 Posted : 30 May 2009 21:57:05(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Well, having just logged in after a few days away, I'm not sure what I can say.

Let me assure you Wily, I do not, have not and never will post under any name other than Fedup. Why, in Heavens name, should I? None of my posts have been abusive or aggressive, so why should I want to post under a different name?

Yes, some of the posts have been silly - so sorry that this has offended you. I think that a good belly laugh every now and again does more good than harm, but there we go, that's just my opinion.

I find the posts from R.S-S, Jake, Gnatalee and Frankie to be very, very interesting and informative, and, as I have said before, being a relative new-comer to Whaley, I have learned an awful about Whaley from them. Is this not what the Forum is for? R.S-S in particular has an amazing knowledge of Whaley Bridge, combined with a good sense of humour and an ability to write in an interesting, relaxed manner - always a pleasure to read. If you are unable to see that, you really are missing out.

As others have said, what a pity that the one and only contribution you have made has to be such a sour, dour and negative one. However, I am going to be charitable - perhaps your humourless attitude is down to what seems to be the very, very sad life you must lead.

My advice? Get a life - and smile!
Web Watcher  
#18 Posted : 31 May 2009 07:33:48(UTC)
Web Watcher

I think there are pros and cons (as there are with most things in life), we no longer have to read fans/members of local bands having a go at each other and it dragging on and on or the slating of the landlords of the pub - but we have lost the banter that there used to be. Many of the old favourites have gone - either they have stopped using the forum because they refuse to register or they now only contribute under one "name".

I think the layout is heaps better as you can now immediatly see where new posts have been made without scrolling down forever on the page.  There is no swearing or people using symbols to swear to aviod the filters which can only be a good thing.

Change was needed ,no-one could argue with that ,and it is not us to us as the users to generate the interest that there used to be.

Edited by user 31 May 2009 07:37:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Whaley Wanderer  
#19 Posted : 31 May 2009 14:14:38(UTC)
Whaley Wanderer

I like the new format, but what drives me mad is the out of date info for schools/organisations/sports centre on the website.  So many of the contact names and numbers are wrong.  There are also lots of other clubs and activites that aren't mentioned.   I don't know who, if anyone is responsible for the updates, but if there were a bit of a concerted effort to get the info up to date, then more people would use the website ( and hopefully this forum).

Jake  
#20 Posted : 31 May 2009 16:14:45(UTC)

The list's of organisations etc is down to the website committee who can be contacted via Admin. The information was originally correct but the onus is really on those groups to inform Admin of the changes so the website can be updated. The site is run by volunteers they can't be expected to chase around after these people updating the info a simple e-mail to Admin when the changes happen would have been the answer and have kept the site up to date. Perhaps you want to volunteer to hepl run the site?

Jake