logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#61 Posted : 30 December 2012 16:46:19(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

On checking the Bleachers Association and Edward Hall and Brother Ltd drawing of 1921 which shows all the old pipe runs, leases etc there is only one chimney shown within Botany land and that is the one to the immediate side of Long Hill.

There is no other chimney shown so I think that must be the one in the photo. How else did the plant operate without a chimney?

As the old workings and bale chute are in the immediate vicinity then I am convinced the old Botany chimney is the one in the strange photo unless anyone can convince me otherwise.

R. S-S

shallcross  
#62 Posted : 30 December 2012 21:50:58(UTC)
shallcross

The Shallcross Hall pit was as described by RSS, with the trucks running down past where the scout hut now stands, you would not have seen that chimney from Horwich end as it was a similar height as the pit head it was octagonal and was castlated on the top, dont forget there is quiet a bend on long hill coming up Buxton Rd from the traffic lights, the old Botnay chimney was a fair height  and as you can see from this photo of the Whaley Bridge Volunteers Band heading up Long hill, taken from just where the packhorse route crosses from Taxal to Shallcross, the chimney is clearly visible in the background, if you look carefully you can see also the Goyt mill chimney and the much taller Printworks Chimney in the distance.

Edited by user 30 December 2012 21:58:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Picture2.jpg
Shallcross
BarryRudd  
#63 Posted : 31 December 2012 10:55:58(UTC)
BarryRudd

Attached are a couple of pics taken yesterday

Firstly we have a chute or steps down to Botany Works.

Unable to find any Chimney bricks at the correct site but found this rather long Flue liner :-)

Found these old iron pipes on the old incline from the Shallcross Hall pit-one was in the hedge and the other now used as part of a gate.

Cheers

Edited by user 31 December 2012 11:04:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BarryRudd attached the following image(s):
002.JPG
003.JPG
006.JPG
sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#64 Posted : 31 December 2012 11:52:00(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Barry,

Just a few points regarding photo 1 of your collection:

The bale chute is slightly to the right of the steps and it is where the bales were slid down to the factory below.

The flat area is where the entrance hole was concreted over as I said in one of my previous posts. It is now covered over with moss and vegetation. (That is the hole is covered with moss and vegetation not my posting).

On the top left corner of your photo you will see the sloping roofs where the fox managed to get trapped.

Thanks to Shallcross for finally solving the conundrum and showing another photo of the ancient Botany chimney.

I've never seen that one before Shallcross; good work.

R. S-S

Capital-of-the-Peak  
#65 Posted : 31 December 2012 12:49:47(UTC)
Capital-of-the-Peak

Maybe "Everybody" already knows this, but on the maps in earlier posts, there is a boundary marked through the middle of the works, east of the Goyt. Does this signify that the course of the river was diverted to the west, with the old boundary being retained? ( I think there is a similar feature around Goyt Mill, and Blackbrook at Buxworth/Bugsworth)

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#66 Posted : 31 December 2012 16:14:55(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

As I have no idea what you are talking about perhaps you could show me this boundary and explain what you think it might be.

R. S-S

Capital-of-the-Peak  
#67 Posted : 01 January 2013 12:32:15(UTC)
Capital-of-the-Peak

The dashed line on the maps in posts 52 and 57 through the Botney factory. The centre-line of a river often denoted a boundary of parish/borough/county , and the boundary remained even if the river changed course. I had never spotted this one before.
shallcross  
#68 Posted : 01 January 2013 14:05:34(UTC)
shallcross

Interesting Capital

The river even in 1283 when this was the great forest of Campana was described and dedicated as a boundary, but I agree it does seem from the map that the course was changed to give more room for the development of Botany keeping all the development to one side of the Goyt, the water was all important to the process so makes sense that they would utilise it to the best of their ability, I know some of it runs between man made walls but does it all around the site?

Shallcross
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#69 Posted : 01 January 2013 16:37:17(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

The lines have absolutely nothing to do with boundaries. They stretch from one end of the map to the other and presumably carry on to the next page and have followed on from the previous page.

I am fairly certain they are some sort of datum points.

On the Bleacher’s Association Limited/ Edward Hall and Brother Limited map of 1921 the dotted lines start from about the Holy Trinity Church on Buxton Road and finish in Park Wood a few hundred yards from Mellands.

Edward Hall and Brother Limited never owned land to anywhere near that extent and there is no way that the course of the Goyt has ever been changed.

Yes I agree with Shallcross there were two man made watercourses (Goats) within the Botany and these were taken from the river to avoid the necessity of pumping.

They worked on the same principal as the Taxal Duckpond feeder and the water taken from the river to drive the water wheel of the corn Mill on Bridge Street using a lesser gradient than what was naturally occurring.

I’ll dig out the Botany leases and have a look if there is anything on them about boundaries. Well I know there is but it is, as usual, in amongst a load of legal gobbledygook.

So please bear with me.

I may have to start a new thread just about the Botany Works so this one doesn’t lose its original purpose.

R. S-S

tarboat  
#70 Posted : 01 January 2013 18:12:46(UTC)
tarboat

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

The lines referred to denote the boundary between Derbyshire and Cheshire and do indeed suggest that the river may have changed its course at some time in the past long before the Botany works was built. I think that RSS is confusing these boundary marks with those finer marks along the main road.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#71 Posted : 02 January 2013 11:35:57(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Tarboat,

No; I am not confusing the lines with any other lines but I do see what you mean about the lines dividing Derbyshire and Cheshire.

That certainly makes sense. And if that is indeed the case then the lines have nothing to do with the factory boundaries.

Shall we save this for a new thread about the Botany?

It has been well worth discussing and has added to the background of an unusual photograph.

This is what this forum should be about.

Thank you for your help Tarboat.

I'll try to find another unusual photograph later today for further debate.

R. S-S

parabuild  
#72 Posted : 02 January 2013 21:07:47(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I can offer no clues about this photo and can only assume that it is local.  There is a roughly laid contractors railway in the foreground. The group of men are pictured on a bridge which is clearly arched so I assume that it is intended to carry a road rather than a railway. It is quite a large team of workers so it must be a reasonable sized project.  What then is being constructed and what does it cross?  That looks like moorland in the background but otherwise there is no indication of location.

Can anybody suggest an answer ?

parabuild attached the following image(s):
bridge.jpg
Ferni  
#73 Posted : 05 January 2013 09:42:47(UTC)
Ferni

Sometimes an elevated view is all it needs.

Ferni attached the following image(s):
viewof botany.jpg

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#74 Posted : 05 January 2013 10:29:57(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

That is the most recent Botany chimney and nothing to do with the one we have been discussing.

R. S-S

oldcodger  
#75 Posted : 11 January 2013 10:39:49(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Yet another mystery chimney, it would be located at the back of Albert House the first large house just after the Swan in the direction of Disley. The home for many years of the Kinder Press owners Eric and Stephen Evans. There was in fact also a small reservoir at the back of the house, may still be there.

No idea what the chimney was for?
(Apart from smoke)
oldcodger attached the following image(s):
buxtonrd.jpg
parabuild  
#76 Posted : 11 January 2013 11:49:52(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Looking at the 19th and early 20th century maps I am not able to find anythng that would account for this chimney.  There had been a brickyard but that was nearer to Disley and probably closed before the houses in the photo were built. The only other chimneys in that direction might have been at Bank End Colliery but this one is too near to be that. Could it be the famous photoshop chimney ?

shallcross  
#77 Posted : 11 January 2013 14:20:55(UTC)
shallcross

Looks very suspicious to me zoom in and you can see where it has been cut and pasted what an idiot
Shallcross
oldcodger  
#78 Posted : 11 January 2013 15:23:05(UTC)

shallcross wrote:
Looks very suspicious to me zoom in and you can see where it has been cut and pasted what an idiot

http://www.picturenewmills.org.uk/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;(^| +)n00216($| +)&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1uZXd0b3duJmFjdGlvbj1zZWFyY2g=

The picture is from New Mills Local History site,

Perhaps you should convey your opinion to them.

Just seach under Newtown if above link fails.

Ref No:

n00216

Title:

Buxton Road, Newtown looking from the Swan Hotel towards Disley. Row in middle is Brighton Terrace.

There you go now the ref: No. 

Edited by user 11 January 2013 15:37:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Benno  
#79 Posted : 11 January 2013 15:26:06(UTC)
Benno

While we're on the theme of strange towers, any body know what this used to be seen at the bottom of Old Road?

Benno attached the following image(s):
Old Road.jpg
oldcodger  
#80 Posted : 11 January 2013 16:32:42(UTC)

I now believe that the chimney in fact belonged to Wright Howarth’s Bleach Works. Almost opposite Albert House near the Swan.

New Mills history Society have somehow managed to mirror turn the image left to right it should in fact be as below. May have been taken from a photographic slide.

So untangle your knickers Shallcross

oldcodger attached the following image(s):
buxtonrd2.jpg