logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fr Jamie  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2013 17:54:56(UTC)
Fr Jamie

Groups: Member

WHALEY LANE

From The Very Rev'd   Canon J R MacLeod

Whaley Hall

Dear Friend's

I have just been on the top road to Disley, sadly a young chap and his children have just gone into one of the pot holes and dammaged their wheel.

Thank God that they were not hurt, but rather shaken.

This was today Sunday 27th January 2013, at around 5.15pm.

Please be aware that the pot holes on this road are very dangerous.

The worst area is between  the bend where sadly rubbish gets dumped and the sign for  Cheshire / Derbyshire.

The pot holes are all over the place including the middle of the road.

Perhaps one of our Councillor's would kindly look into this matter                               and contact the relevant department for Highways.

Their have been far to many accidents on this road in recent weeks and it is only a matter of time before some one is injured.

Always best  to go slow in such conditions.

Many thanks

Fr Jamie

tyke  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2013 18:14:22(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I read a notice in the Mechanics institute yesterday that this section is to close (from Meadowside to the county boundary) sometime next month for about a week for resurfacing work. In the meantime people should be careful as a friend of mine is having his own car mended having done something similar.
davethescope  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2013 18:36:00(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
If you find a dangerous pothole do use this web site to report it: http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/<p>
Then the Highway Authority cannot wriggle out of responsibility by saying that they did not know about the danger.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Horwich Ender  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2013 18:47:18(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening Fr Jamie, tyke and davethescope.

Derbyshire County Council have, at long last, decided to undertake supposedly long lasting Carriageway Patching Works on Whaley Lane and also Long Hill.

Whaley Lane will be closed from its junction with Meadowfield to the Cheshire County Boundary from 25 February 2013 to 1 March 2013.

Long Hill will also be closed for similar work from White Hall Activity Centre to Park Road in Buxton from 11 February 2013 to 15 February 2013.

Fr Jamie  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2013 19:00:44(UTC)
Fr Jamie

From The Very Rev'd J R MacLeod

Whaley Hall

Dear Howich end'er,

Many thanks for your email,

I am glad that HPBC have decided to re -surface the road it has been getting worse for at least the last two bad winters.

However I do wonder if they had kept on  Tarmacing roads the old fashioned way then they would be in far better condition than the roads that have a few chippings thrown on that wreck your car every time you drive on them !

I wonder if Horses and carts had this problem years ago,  im sure RSS can find an interesting picture in his collection ?

Many thanks

Fr Jamie

Ferni  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2013 20:54:48(UTC)
Ferni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've been driving this way to work for nearly 7 years - the potholes have damaged a previous car of mine ( DCC Highways wriggled out of responsibility by telling me ' we are allowed to have a certain amount of potholes at any one time...' - which is designed to deter the most ardent of claims persuants ) and my current one: a pothole has affected the balancing of the front nearside wheel.........In daylight hours this road is treacherous at it stands, but at night time it's nothing more than a death trap.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Ferni  
#7 Posted : 27 January 2013 21:05:41(UTC)
Ferni

..... and, while we're on this road on this thread - driving past the layby at Stoneheads yesterday and today I was incensed to see the entire contents of a bathroom: wall panels, cement bags, buckets, even the damned bath! left by some vile individuals who, hopefully, will get what's due to them - just dumped in a 20ft sprawl. I'll notify - and it would help if others did too - the council tomorrow. I hope they will use their powers to help identify the perpetrators and bring them to justice. They'll need to be quick though; potentially vital evidence is deteriorating by the hour.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
parabuild  
#8 Posted : 27 January 2013 21:19:59(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Derbyshire First - December 2012

parabuild attached the following image(s):
df.jpg
Ferni  
#9 Posted : 27 January 2013 22:08:30(UTC)
Ferni

I bet 500 of those 15,500 were up on Disley Tops !!

High Peak Harry  
#10 Posted : 28 January 2013 08:17:14(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Watching Sky news this morning while they were reviewing the papers and this topic was mentioned. The cost to motorists nationally is £312M, a not inconsiderable sum I'm sure we all agree. Another item was the HS2 link at a cost of anywhere between £32B and £45B depending on which paper you believe. All this to cut 50 minutes off a journey time to London. As today's technology allows video conferencing, why the need for this folly? Upgrade what we already have for Pete's sake. Notwithstanding how fast technology moves and this rail line will not be in place for 20 years.

So back to the pot hole problem. Is the aforementioned scenario a bit like having a gold front door fitted to your property when the roof is leaking? Don't forget how much we already pay for using the roads via fuel duty and road tax.
Digger  
#11 Posted : 28 January 2013 09:01:31(UTC)
Digger

I think you are lucky to have a council that repairs your roads.

A lot of roads in Greater Manchester are like farm tracks. It seems the council cannot afford to repair them but they have no problem finding the money to create a bottle-neck and increase traffic congestion.

High Peak Harry  
#12 Posted : 28 January 2013 10:20:56(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I have just been over this road at 9.30 and there was a serious accident, two police cars were in attendance. It looked like a car had hit the hole(s) as it's front wheel was at an obscure angle and substantial damage to the whole side of the car where it hit the wall. It was facing the other way towards Disley but the verge on the opposite side was churned up suggesting it had hit the wall and then spun. Do you think the council will pick up the tab? I know this is jumping the gun but as it was close by these holes it would seem coincidental at best and at worst negligence on the highways department.
Ferni  
#13 Posted : 28 January 2013 10:53:37(UTC)
Ferni

HPH - the night I had my incident, there were 5 other vehicles involved too, all of us approaching Whaley and hitting the huge hole on the sharpish left hand bend opposite the dumping ground layby. The 5th car to hit it was witnessed by me and the other drivers while we were comparing respective damages. The 5th car hit the hole so hard it blew the tyre and buckled the alloy wheel. There were 5 young people in that car and had it not had alloys, the impact of that weight combined with such force would most likely have catapulted the car in the air potentially killing all passengers. Is it going to take a death?.. let's just see how they fix it... It's a heavily used road and deserves utmost priority.

High Peak Harry  
#14 Posted : 28 January 2013 11:08:06(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Given DCC's propensity for 'Safety signs' they will probably take the cheap option and put access only signs up above the estate.
Fr Jamie  
#15 Posted : 28 January 2013 13:31:32(UTC)
Fr Jamie

From The Very Rev'd Canon J R MacLeod

Whaley Hall

Monday January 28th 2013

Dear Friend's

I have today contacted  Whaley Bridge Town Council regarding the Pot Holes.

I have said that the Pot Holes need to if possible be filled in between now and when the road is re - surfaced.

My main concern is that someone who does not know thae road may have a                   nasty accident.

Many thanks

Fr Jamie 

davethescope  
#16 Posted : 28 January 2013 16:04:41(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
High Peak Harry wrote:
Don't forget how much we already pay for using the roads via fuel duty and road tax.

And through income tax, council tax, VAT even when we don't own a car.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
RockBanker  
#17 Posted : 28 January 2013 16:48:00(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Fr Jamie wrote:

I wonder if Horses and carts had this problem years ago 

I would suggest Exodus 21:33..34

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
High Peak Harry  
#18 Posted : 28 January 2013 16:53:05(UTC)
High Peak Harry

davethescope wrote:
High Peak Harry wrote:
Don't forget how much we already pay for using the roads via fuel duty and road tax.

And through income tax, council tax, VAT even when we don't own a car.

The difference is Dave, car and fuel tax are specific to road users. They/me pay purely for the privilege of weaving our way around on increasingly third world standard roads. The income tax,VAT etc. are another argument altogether (please don't get me started, my blood pressure won't take it).

Oh, and I have no intention of thumping you, in The Shepherds or anywhere else for that matter.
Wanderer returns  
#19 Posted : 28 January 2013 18:38:55(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I came over tonight before the darkness fell and all I can say is that I will not be using the road again until it has been resurfaced. I drove far slower than I normally would because I knew about the pot holes but even at low speed it's almost impossible to pick a route without hitting them. There was a chap changing a wheel in the village at 7.00 this morning and I suspect it may have been done on that road.
If its bad enough when you know that they are there what chance to people have who do not read this forum or are unfamiliar with the road?
I hope all involved in the accident today were not injured and if anyone does know could they please post on here?

Edited by user 28 January 2013 18:42:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A1Dan  
#20 Posted : 28 January 2013 21:42:05(UTC)
A1Dan

parabuild wrote:

Derbyshire First - December 2012

Judging by their previous efforts, "fixing" a pot-hole pretty much just involves filling it with gravel.

I hope they do a proper job with the resurfacing, putting down the whole base layer etc - there's clearly places where there's nothing left under the road at all, and just doing the top surface will leave us back to square one in no time.