logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
moogie  
#1 Posted : 18 July 2014 10:42:13(UTC)
moogie

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi

My wife has asked me to post regarding the new playground off Reservoir Road, and the issues it seems to be having.

We take our our 2 year old to all the local parks Buggy , Chinley,Chapel and new mills...

Why is it that with all the money that has been spent , and it being new why Whaleys is such a disgrace. Every time we visit , its covered in litter , broken glass, used condoms , drug parifinailia. fag ends beer cans etc

Equipment is broken, why wood chippings have been used on the floor, that hurt children in a fall, my son has had splinters we have to remove. Why unsuitable plastic green covers are used on parts of the floor again painful to fall on. amongst other things like incomplete fencing , access to the stream.

Granted it looks nice as you walk up to it, but as you get closer you start to wish you had gone somewhere else...

How come the childrens area was placed where none can see it , giving a great opportunity for older kids and teenagers to use as an evening meeting place where they cannot bee seen, so can do what they want.

We have taken to taking pics of the things we find and see.... And some of you may say , why dont you take him to a different park instead of complaining. But im sure most Whaley residents like a bit of feeback on how the money was spent, and how obviously money is being continually ploughed into the upkeep of the site.

What is being done?. if anything to sort out these issues
thanks 1 user thanked moogie for this useful post.
Janep on 18/07/2014(UTC)
Wanderer returns  
#2 Posted : 18 July 2014 20:43:37(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Just had an email from Derbyshire Police to say someone started a fire there the other day which has damaged a ramp and the zip wire - it is being treated as arson
Janep  
#3 Posted : 19 July 2014 07:36:42(UTC)
Janep

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Another fun packed Friday evening at the skateboard park and " children's playground " . Needless to say the usual detritus left behind for others to clear . The signs for CCTV (well hidden) are no deterrent . In response to a comment about the park being out of the way , then so is High Lea but they don't appear to experience the same problems , my assumption being the numpties come to whaley from new mills and chapel to play .
Fedup  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2014 18:00:25(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Still picking up broken glass from the paths in the Park at 2.00 pm today. This was after the council workers had been in first thing this morning cleaning up the disgusting mess around the skate park and the playground. They are having to come in every weekend now, as the littering is so bad. As for the numpties coming in from Chapel and New Mills, I believe one of our councillors was reported as saying some time ago that he hoped the Park would draw in people from all over the area - well, he has got his wish. I spoke to the two playground maintenance workers the other day, busy clearing up after the fire. They said that having some 20 years experience of the parks round here, they had advised against using wooden play equipment, but were totally ignored. Like them, I believe that now they have got away with that fire, they will set fire to the other wooden structures. Remember, we are only just starting the six week summer holiday.And to those people who will no doubt shout me down as being unduly anti kids, I would just say that nice as some of the kids are in ones and twos, get a gang of them fuelled by drink and any other substance and they turn into feral, uncontrolled yobs. Which brings me to another point; many of these kids are obviously under 18, and yet they are able to get cans and bottles of booze and quite blatantly sit around the skate park and in the playground drinking it. Surely this is against the law, so why are the police not doing something about it? I am a great supporter of the police, and I realise that with cut backs they have a difficult task, but I am beginning to think that they are turning a blind eye to what goes on in the park area, as it keeps the kids away from the main street in Whaley. It is all quite depressing and eventually some child is going to be badly injured on some of the rubbish left lying around. Any ideas from anyone as to what can be done to stop this?
thanks 2 users thanked Fedup for this useful post.
Janep on 19/07/2014(UTC), DLS1977 on 20/07/2014(UTC)
DLS1977  
#5 Posted : 20 July 2014 19:33:46(UTC)
DLS1977

I've called the police twice as I've seen the park being vandalised (non emergency number) and to no avail. It's quite obvious what is needed. Local police / special constables should call in every evening during the school holidays and:

- Ask any one older than 8 without parents in the park to leave
- Confiscate all alcohol and trace it's sale, fining or removing the license from the retailer
- Take all under age drinkers and all drug users and lock them up in the cells in Chapel en le Frith (assuming they have some) and call their parents

Guaranteed this would only need to happen a couple of times before the little s~~ts get the message.

Unfortunately, judging by the state of the town centre this morning, the problems are not limited to kids and the park. Puke, empty bottles and kebab boxes everywhere. More like Benidorm than Whaley.
thanks 2 users thanked DLS1977 for this useful post.
Janep on 21/07/2014(UTC), Fedup on 21/07/2014(UTC)
Janep  
#6 Posted : 21 July 2014 06:12:24(UTC)
Janep

Do our local councillor ever take a walk round the park ? I would suggest evening times and an early stroll before the poor guy who has to deal with the clean up on weekend mornings does his job . The alcohol is probably purchased quite legitimately as many of the revellers are over 18 , sadly the are encouraging the younger children to drink , hence the anti - social behaviour . I am sure some of these kids must be recognisable , name and shame
thanks 2 users thanked Janep for this useful post.
Fedup on 21/07/2014(UTC), moogie on 22/07/2014(UTC)
moogie  
#7 Posted : 21 July 2014 12:44:23(UTC)
moogie

Nice to see 2 young...under 16 year old girls , smoking a bong on Friday at about 6.30pm in the children play area..nice!

Lots of litter, floating around as per usual

As per above, im not surprised the delay in police turning up to reported incidents , as it would be nice if the local council were to assist in the upkeep and security of something they have paid lots off funds to create. Maybe a set of volunteer wardens would help!..

As for new mills park, we spend some evenings there too, and the youth seem more interested in having fun, ie playing football or even using the outdoor gym equipment , and as it is in a more residential area, we have not witnessed the same situation that is seen at whaley park. I know most parks have issues in the evening all over the land. But whaleys is pretty much brand new. It just seems so ill thought out and a waste of money.

Wooden playgrounds , yes they look lovely......but how stupidly impractical , im sure most of it will be fire damaged in the next few years.
thanks 1 user thanked moogie for this useful post.
Fedup on 21/07/2014(UTC)
Fedup  
#8 Posted : 21 July 2014 13:40:45(UTC)
Fedup

Perhaps we should ask all those involved in maintaining the Park to put away their Enid Blyton "Secret Seven" and "Famous Five" books and try William Golding's "Lord of the Flies". They would certainly get a more realistic view of what happens when large numbers of adolescent kids get together without any supervision or control from adults.
Son of Jim  
#9 Posted : 22 July 2014 10:02:01(UTC)
Son of Jim

Man

As a reply to Moogie re New Mills Park, I fear he doesn't venture too far into there, and in particular towards the Community Orchard where the real youths hang out, the fire service was called out at about 4:15 am on Monday the 14th. to a sofa and wheelie bin fire, the sofa had been left out for the council paid for collection, there's also the damage to the fruit trees plus the usual rubbish as reported in your earlier post, I'm afraid this behaviour isn't as you say unique to the park in Chapel.
moogie  
#10 Posted : 22 July 2014 10:33:34(UTC)
moogie

no need to 'fear' any of my actions....Like i say all parks have issues....and im not one for taking my little man out to a park at 4am! And i wouldnt expect anyone to be monitoring at that time. As its summer, young kids are still about with parents in parks up till 8 ish at night, and as i mentioned earlier having teenagers in kids play areas drinking,  smoking, swearing abusing drugs around 5-7 etc is not fair.

To be honest Im not too fussed about confronting them......you get a bit of verbal back, thats kids for you ...Im better at it than them tho...but never makes much difference as they know you will go , and the park is theirs again...

My post is about the childrens play area as noted. Which is where I take my son.....

My local ones in Chinley and Buggy, are old and in need of investment, so we like to take him around the area to all the parks....

As you mention new mills....over the past few weeks they have been dropping in new equipment for the kids.....all made of metal, not fossil fuels.

of course we have seen rubbish in other parks and issues with older kids etc , I have just been highlighting the fact that Whaleys is new, lots of cash must have been spent , it is unfinished, the equipment is not suitable and some what dangerous. Just seems so ill thought out.

And yes you could just say, 'why dont you go sumwhere else if you dont like it' ........we do....we use all the parks...

pensionman  
#11 Posted : 25 July 2014 09:47:13(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hate to say it Fedup, but it's more like Irvine Welshs' 'Trainspotting' down there on a hot weekend night.
I notice a new bar has opened up on the second bend up on Whaley Lane on the left as you ascend, overlooking the railway line.
Here, a group of folk enjoy a can or two in the sun most afternoons & as you walk/ drive past down into the town centre you'll see folk quoffing outside most of our pubs, so is it a surprise that this habit/activity/behaviour is copied by teenagers? To be out drinking, smoking,sniffing or whatever the latest poison is, is cool if your at that age.
Sadly, it seems out of control but how do you police the problem? We have limited resources & the problem seems minor relative to other crime elsewhere in the county & must be endemic in other towns/ countries, so how do they cope with the issue?
I think we have to be resigned to this, no matter how it was professionally policed, the youths will find somewhere else to behave anti-socially & then move on again once discovered, but agree that a central amenity should not be allowed to house this behaviour to the detriment of the majority of users.

moogie  
#12 Posted : 25 July 2014 11:57:42(UTC)
moogie

pensionman....you have it there..

kids will always find the most out of the way place, from prying eyes of parents to have fun...sure we were all there back in the day.

But to actively supply them a place, one that cannot be seen or monitored in any easy manner , when the area was revamped at cost for children half their age and younger

is just daft.

And it seems that of all the peeps who come of the forum, not may are bothered or passing comment, after all it was their council funding that has paid for all this. Never mind the continual costs if it continues to be vandalized, are peeps more interested in crying about the red telephone box in the carpark for tourists , rather than their local park?.....is it a I dont use it, keeps the kids off the street at night away from the main road.....so it doesn't bother me attitude.?...
Janep  
#13 Posted : 25 July 2014 17:17:27(UTC)
Janep

Facebook posted a lengthy concern yesterday about the state of the park , allegedly in the rubbish collected were receipts from Tesco for alcohol . I also was under the impression that they could only serve to over 21s , having challenged the young staff on the self serve checkouts about requesting ID when they allow obvious under age buyers to buy by swiping their clearance cards , is that Mates Rate ?
Fedup  
#14 Posted : 30 July 2014 15:13:03(UTC)
Fedup

Just to say that there is a meeting at the Mechanics on Monday 4th August at 7.00 pm when Whaley Bridgites can raise various points with Derbyshire Police. I hope as many people as possible attend this meeting and raise the question of vandalism and general misbehaviour in the Park. If anything is to be done, then surely this would be a good place to start?
moogie  
#15 Posted : 19 August 2014 09:24:39(UTC)
moogie

was anything mentioned in the meeting?...
Fedup  
#16 Posted : 19 August 2014 20:39:06(UTC)
Fedup

The whole meeting was about the problems in the Park. Meeting was very well attended, especially by people who live along the roads leading to the Park, who are experiencing dreadful behaviour from kids on their way there. Three police officers attended the meeting, as well as the Manager of Tesco. Oh, and three "social workers" who pointed out that these poor kids often had terrible backgrounds, and responded better if people were not "rude to them"!!! At this point a large portion of the people attending got up and walked out in disgust. The police are putting three officers on "park duties" on a Friday night to see if that settles things down. There was a chap from some charity there, who has worked mainly round the Manchester area now moving into Peak District, working on situations like this. He said that they had achieved good success by finding some spare land away from residential/leisure areas, putting up some sort of hut and letting the kids use that as a meeting place, thus keeping the problems and mess well away from residents and users of the Park. Felt sorry for the police, whose hands are tied. They can only charge underage drinkers if they have actually bought the alcohol themselves, or they can charge an adult for buying drink for underage drinkers. They cannot do anything about kids drinking except to take the drink away from them. They did suggest that if there were any receipts found with the cans and boxes of booze scattered round the Park, and they are Tesco receipts, they should be taken to the Park Ranger, Paul Evans, who will ask Tesco to check their security cameras to see who bought them and if there is evidence that they were bought to hand on to underage drinkers, they can then pass it on to police.

That's just a quick resume of the meeting, a lot of things said, but not an awful lot of things that can be done.
thanks 2 users thanked Fedup for this useful post.
Janep on 20/08/2014(UTC), moogie on 21/08/2014(UTC)
Wanderer returns  
#17 Posted : 20 August 2014 04:54:07(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hardly surprising people walked out when instructed "not to be rude" - having lived very close to the youth club on Wharf Road I experienced dreadful behaviour on a weekly basis. The staff were over run and I'm not blaming them but it was dreadful, so much so that we started going out to avoid dealing with it. The next door neighbour, however, used to go out and confront them which only served to make the matter worse and wind them up even more.

It's a double edged sword as you know shouting or being rude to them will only make the situation worse but it's hard not to when you are continually being disturbed in your own home, having plants pulled up, rubbish strewn around your house and your car damaged to name but a few of the problems we had.

I'm not sure about the hut idea - who keeps an eye on it? As for Tesco - that would be a lovely gesture on their part and those buying for the underage should be ashamed and obviously don't live near the park.

Policing the area will quell the problem for the time being in Whaley but a long term solution is needed, they need somewhere to go and something to do, structured and stimulating - perhaps a questionnaire to the local high schools would assertain what they would like provided and the council could perhaps move from there?
thanks 1 user thanked Wanderer returns for this useful post.
Janep on 20/08/2014(UTC)
Fedup  
#18 Posted : 20 August 2014 18:30:54(UTC)
Fedup

I understaNd what you mean about the hut, Wanderer returns, but it would be "overseen" by the social workers and the police to the same extent as the Park is "overseen" now. The only thing that would change would be that residents living near the Park and respectful users of the Park would not be disturbed by the kids. This chap from the charity said that this was done very successfully in several areas of Manchester, after they had questionned large numbers of kids in those areas. They didn't want stimulation or structure - just somewhere they could do their own thing. When you think about it, that's what they are doing in the Park. Who knows, once they are knee deep in litter, they might even begin to clean up after themselves as well!

As for being rude to them, since when has it been rude to ask them to pick up a bottle or can that they have just dropped on the ground in front of you?

Another point made by the police was that if there are any incidents of noise or rudeness, these should be reported on the non-emergency police number (is 101?....not much use to me when I can't even remember the number!); although the police may not attend, the call is logged and the more calls that come in, the more notice the police take. Oviously, if you or your property are being threatened, you ring 999.

They also said that this problem tended to move from one town to another. Usually, once the police up their presence in an area experiencing problems, all the kids move on to another town and take over another Park. I have spoken to people in New Mills, Chapel and Hayfield and they have all reported the same problems in the past. Obviously, this is Whaley Bridge's time, but having said that I still don't think we should just grit our teeth and put up with it. Why should we? The Park is there for relaxation, peace and recreation, not a place for gangs of kids to take over and intimidate other people, as well as leaving a breathtaking trail of litter and vandalism behind them for other people to clear up.
moogie  
#19 Posted : 21 August 2014 11:58:36(UTC)
moogie

many thanks for the info....

im aghast at 'social workers'!!!...

Kids from poor backgrounds??? Whaley is predominantly middle class....its not Longsight! of course there are exceptions

most of the kids we see there involved have trainers and label clothes that cost more then mine!

Softly softly approach..dont be rude to the kids?....my god!...

Vandalism is a crime, and so is antisocial behavior...as its seen now.

Install gates, close the park at dusk, then trespassing can be added to the list! ...

And yes......a home for them is needed...away from a childrens playground!

I have a modicum of empathy for them, boredom+drink=trouble its always been like that

Janep  
#20 Posted : 21 August 2014 15:43:21(UTC)
Janep

Must agree with above comments , a quick litter overview this afternoon cake wrappers , bottled drinks , cans , cartoned drinks , crisp packs , sweet wrappers , the list goes on . Hardly deprived children , they appear to have substantial disposable income . A small group enjoying a little afternoon tipple around the table to add to the ambiance .