logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bob Bowker  
#1 Posted : 08 August 2009 15:15:37(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Groups: Member

Sadly, I understand that the village greengrocers closes it's doors for the last time today. This is a great shame as it is one of any communities essential shops. The nearest alternative is Tescos of course. These guys always seem to win in the end.

The shop has never been the same since Colin retired. There was always a smile and a quip when you went in and the place was full of quality produce. Colin used to go early doors to the Smithfield, I know I used to pass him most mornings about six o'clock around Disley, and he was on the way back then. This was so he could get the pick of the produce, not rely on what a wholesaler wanted you to have. I saw enough of that in the Meat trade. Essentially he was a tradesman and knew his trade and his customers requirements.

I firmly believe that if  subsequent owners had maintained that standard then it would still have been a thriving set up. Price comes second to quality every time with food. (There's no food as expensive as the one you can't eat). Everyone I spoke to today in the village this morning expressed much the same opinion and were disappointed but not surprised.

A lot of people will say that we let the shop down, but I think that the shop let us down by not supplying what we wanted. Any retailer not doing the business should get in their car and go and look at successful shops in their own particular trade elsewhere and see what they are doing right then copy it. You can't blame supermakets, they are everywhere anyway.

What next? Please not another takeaway.

Techy  
#2 Posted : 08 August 2009 16:24:04(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I find it very sad when any shop closes in the village (with the exception for estate agents!). I totally agree with most of what you say Bob, but I cannot agree with the fact that community support is not partially to blame here.

There are a lot of people in this village that preach the "shop local sermon" but are still completely brain washed into their chain store mentality.  Some of which will have never stepped foot in that shop the entire time they have lived in Whaley, but will still harp on about local and community spirit at dinner parties.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 08 August 2009 16:57:06(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Very interesting Techy,

Have you perchance bought a made-to-measure suit from the Co-Op outfitters on Market Street as I have? I wore it to the dinner parties you refer to and still have it; sadly I can no longer get into it

R. S-S
Bob Bowker  
#4 Posted : 08 August 2009 17:02:09(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Hi Techy
Thanks for that. You are quite right there is a fraternity used to be called 'green wellie brigade' who talk the talk to their chums back in the town but really never integrate. Sad really. Most of the natives are friendly. We've been in Whaley 10 years this year and I would like to think that we have integrated quite well. Don't know if that qualifies as a local yet, probly another 20 years, but we've made some wonderful friends here and got to know many great authentic locals.
Cheers
B B
Bob Bowker  
#5 Posted : 08 August 2009 17:06:42(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Good Evening R S-S

I have suits like that too. The blessed things shrink you know. The trouble is I'm too short for my weight these days.

Enjoy the lovely evening. Regards

Bob 

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 08 August 2009 17:14:36(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Thank you for that kind message Bob.

I shall enjoy this evening and I shall drink to your good health.

R. S-S
High Peak Harry  
#7 Posted : 08 August 2009 17:55:47(UTC)
High Peak Harry

A good tip Bob, looking at what other good businesses are doing and copying it. Alternatively you could look at businesses with poor working practices, bad service and shoddy standards and do exactly the opposite. It's not exactly rocket science, trust me.

I am in the middle of a project as we speak and if all comes to fruition then it will prove both our arguments. In spades.
Techy  
#8 Posted : 08 August 2009 18:07:23(UTC)

High Peak Harry wrote:
A good tip Bob, looking at what other good businesses are doing and copying it. Alternatively you could look at businesses with poor working practices, bad service and shoddy standards and do exactly the opposite. It's not exactly rocket science, trust me.

I totally agree

High Peak Harry wrote:

I am in the middle of a project as we speak and if all comes to fruition then it will prove both our arguments. In spades.

Is that the chippy Harry? 

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Bob Bowker  
#9 Posted : 08 August 2009 18:18:10(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Good Evening H P Harry

You are quite right in what you say, but if you go to see a badly run business and don't know the difference you don't learn anything anyway.

I've been involved in the wholsale and retail food industry fo almost 50 years and could write a book. Some people open shops and are dead in the water before they start cos they haven't a clue. A lot think all the cash in the till is theirs to spend, then have a shock when accounts are due.

When you have to decide whether to give credit to traders or not does make you keenly evaluate the potential or lack of it. I have been wrong once or twice and it hurts. Makes you keener though.

Good luck in your venture. I am intrigued.

Regards

B B

High Peak Harry  
#10 Posted : 08 August 2009 19:28:42(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Techy wrote:

Is that the chippy Harry? 

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Oh dear, I thought we had put that old chestnut to bed. Either that or you have also been imbibing the Gaelic Juice. If  I could tell you I would but I can't. I can tell you my tale eventually, but the other information you are digging for will go to the grave with me.

When I say in the middle, I mean setting up, not up and running. Still, best not let the facts stand in the way of parochial conspiracy theories.

Oh, and by the way, I think you'll find it is 'with the exception of estate agents'. Just a thought on that subject, how did you, your friends,your parents etc. buy their respective houses? Off the notice board at the corner shop, down the pub (careful who you might bump into down there as well), Del Boy with his suitcase on the corner of Canal Street?

I await your next piece of literary genius with baited breath, meanwhile I'm going for something to eat, in a restaurant if that's alright with you!

wily  
#11 Posted : 08 August 2009 20:05:03(UTC)

High Peak Harry.

It's blatantly obvious you are in some way involved with the chippy in Furness Vale. Please stop trying to deny it.

Over the hill but not far away  
#12 Posted : 08 August 2009 22:54:31(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

Hi

Well I think the veg shop has been making an effort to survive in the last few months.  They introduced fish and most produce I bought was perfectly OK.  It's a bit of a catch22 -you cant buy the stock if you have not got the volume of customers.  And it must be difficult having a perishable stock especially when Tesco has daily refrigerated deliveries.

So, we dont have a fishmonger, petrol station, greengrocer, deli or shoemaker-and it's all OUR fault for not giving them our business and telling them what we want and inviting Tesco in.  We still have two good butchers please don't let them down. 

It's perfectly possible to Buy from Tesco your toilet rolls and baked beans and buy veg, fish, meat, cheese and stationary from local shops.and farmers markets-the choice is yours-well it was until this week

Cheers

High Peak Harry  
#13 Posted : 09 August 2009 10:38:44(UTC)
High Peak Harry

wily wrote:

High Peak Harry.

It's blatantly obvious you are in some way involved with the chippy in Furness Vale. Please stop trying to deny it.

Okay, you got me. I was also on a grassy knoll in Dallas, a tunnel in Paris and I filmed the moon landings in a studio in Hollywood. Do you have anymore crackpot conspiracies for us on a glorious Sunday morning?

Oh, I nearly forgot, I told the English batsmen to throw their wickets away. It's a fair cop guv, I'll come quietly.

Beverley_Macca  
#14 Posted : 09 August 2009 10:41:33(UTC)
Beverley_Macca

Woman

High Peak Harry: "Okay, you got me. I was also on a grassy knoll in Dallas, a tunnel in Paris and I filmed the moon landings in a studio in Hollywood. Do you have anymore crackpot conspiracies for us on a glorious Sunday morning?

Oh, I nearly forgot, I told the English batsmen to throw their wickets away. It's a fair cop guv, I'll come quietly."

I bet you wrote the Cllr's beer poem as well...

Edited by user 09 August 2009 10:43:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

High Peak Harry  
#15 Posted : 09 August 2009 10:47:45(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Now that is one thing I would NEVER own up to. Can you imagine the shame?
Beverley_Macca  
#16 Posted : 09 August 2009 11:52:39(UTC)
Beverley_Macca

Woman

Sorry High Peak Harry, I hear what you're saying and I do apologise - that was taking a joke too far.

Where are the forum moderators when you need them to help mitigate against such defamatory statements?

Full retraction, out of court settlement, pay your legal costs, unreserved apology, written assurance the libel will never be repeated...

HPH had no role whatsoever in the Beer Poem.

Hopefully we can draw a line in the sand now and all move on.

High Peak Harry  
#17 Posted : 09 August 2009 12:04:37(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Thank you Beverley, I am now popping to the corner shop. So if you see a man with a gun, a camera and smelling like a chip shop, that'll be me. According to Wily!
wily  
#18 Posted : 09 August 2009 21:59:11(UTC)

More smokescreens from High Peak Harry.

We do not know of your connections with Dallas, Paris, the Moon or Headingley. What we do know is that you have some involvement with the chippy in Furness Vale. We have no interest in knowing what your involvement is but we would be grateful if you would stop denying that you are in some way involved.

Fedup  
#19 Posted : 09 August 2009 22:39:23(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I don't know how practical this idea would be, indeed whether it would even be possible, but instead of the greengrocers trying to compete with the Corner Shop - a game they will never win - why don't they try stocking the shop with local, fresh produce? Perhaps they could source the produce from the same farmers and growers who sell their goods at the Farmers Markets. OK, it might be more expensive than Tesco, but I'm sure people would pay more for top quality, locally grown food. They needn't even stop at vegetables - eggs, cheese etc., again, all sourced locally and fresh.

It might be worth a try.

Edited by user 09 August 2009 22:40:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tyke  
#20 Posted : 10 August 2009 08:23:27(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Totally Agree. It seems that the more thriving greengrocers shops around the country offer QUALITY local produce at a price not a lot different from the likes of the corner shop. They don't just stick to greengrocery but also offer interesting and different quality grocery..posh pickes, jams, sauces etc. as well as locally source free range eggs.

I don't think supermarkets are that cheap when it comes to grenngrocery after all err... harvesting veg in Cheshire say, shipping it to possibly Northampton for packing then distributing to Whaley Via say Wigan must have some effect on price. Buying in the Farmers Market at Chelford and bringing it back direct must be better and fresher!

Having said that coming back to an old topic but where do the greengrocers customers park? Ok there is on the street, but a good shop should have more than a couple of customers at any one time and the on street parking is insufficient for a thriving community shopping area.

I did go when the previous owners were there but was not impressed and therefore didn't return much... Sorry!