logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#61 Posted : 03 September 2009 13:44:07(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

Hi Stuart

Thanks for that. Have had a look at the link - looks good. I will have to get my act together and start sorting the films out !

Gnats

Edited by user 03 September 2009 13:45:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#62 Posted : 03 September 2009 15:18:53(UTC)
G. Jackson

Hi Gnatalee, the firm at Dove Holes is 100% professional and would do anything for you, hope you have a VERY understanding bank manager though. I went there for something and was amazed at the charges. I went elsewhere. (I hope Stuart isn't a co-owner of them)
Gnatalee  
#63 Posted : 03 September 2009 17:32:04(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi George

I'd better start saving now then !! 

Gnats

Edited by user 03 September 2009 17:32:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#64 Posted : 03 September 2009 18:54:49(UTC)
G. Jackson

Thanks Gnatalee but the G isn't George.
Gnatalee  
#65 Posted : 03 September 2009 20:38:10(UTC)
Gnatalee

OOps - sorry ! 

Edited by user 03 September 2009 20:38:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Dora Gibson  
#66 Posted : 05 September 2009 17:36:34(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Hello all and sundry, I have managed to get back on computer as my son, Gibson needs a lot of respite care from me and dumped me in a god-forlorn place which I'd rather not talk about. I think I have had a brainwave with regard to those folk who go a wandering and don't pay for parking in Whaley. Why doesn't High Peak Harry set up a mobile fish & chip shop on the car park?

Also Mr Jackson, when you talked on your post whatever you call it on the 2nd september, you mentioned Mrs Burfit's shop and the huts in the car park, that were lived in by Irish folk. Well I am a triple-trifled confused who it was that couldn't remember the Critchlows who lived in a hut over't wall on Whaley to Buggy canal and who was asking about when this was, well I'm pretty sure this was in the 1920s when I was a youngster. Can you help me out any further Mr Jackson. These days I'm on so many pills that I don't know if I'm here, there but quite often dance in the woods with the fairies.
wily  
#67 Posted : 05 September 2009 19:53:56(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Good grief Dora, just how old are you? (You don't have to answer that question)

I think you will find the majority of forum members weren't born in the 1920s so you will have to rely on G. Jackson or R. S-S to provide you with answers.

The question I did ask (to which I would welcome a reply) was are you related to Andrew Gibson who lives on Macclesfield Road?

Dora Gibson  
#68 Posted : 06 September 2009 22:50:57(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Hello Wily (is this the modern spelling of Willy?) I do find life very confusing these days and yes, for your information I am long in the tooth and of course a woman never likes to tell her age, not even a neanderthal woman like me.

I don't know of any relatives from my Wilf's side, as he was an only child and only talked briefly about having a cousin called Cedrick. My Wilf called Ced several other names (not nice ones) and forbade me to talk to him or about him in his or anybody elses presence. From the little I was told, Ced went out with someone whose surname was Howarth and was from Chapel somewhere - it could have been Margaret or Maggie. The story goes that Ced was, (I think the term is, batting for the other side), but I do know that he never 'came out' (I think that's the other term). Well my Wilf was absolutely disgusted and disgraced by Ced, even though there was no proof that he done anything untoward. So I don't know if Ced went on to have any children and if so, it's probable that your Andrew Gibson could be related, but I truly can't say. I think it's better these days that people can be themselves and not worry about what other folk think. There's a street in Manchester called Canal Basin where the likes of Ced go and meet each other.

T'other reason my Wilf hated Ced was that he would make fun of my Wilf's gammy leg which eventually was amputated in his late twenties. So now anybody who is anybody in Whaley Bridge or Horwich End must remember my Wilf and his false leg. I spent many a night worrying because Wilf liked a drink (maybe it was because of his leg or Ced or other things, who knows?), but whenever he did drink, he would remove his leg and scratch his stump (I'm sure it wasn't a pretty sight, but hopefully everybody else was paraletic by this point - who knows?) then he would arrive home but HOW? Quite often I would wake up in the morning and not see the leg, yet Wilf had managed to stagger home, limping, crawling or otherwise and then it would be a case of ME going round the pubs to see where is falsey had been laid to rest - not a nice job I can tell you. It wasn't an easy job living Wilf and I can only say this now because everyone we have known seems to be under the sod. So that's it Wily or Willy or whatever. Does that answer your question?

As for mr double-barreled name who sounds like a battle ship (the SS), I don't recall anyone with his name living in Whaley, but I do wonder if Mr Jackson is related to some farmers from the New Mills/Hayfield/Birch Vale area.

Any roads up, I have to go as Gibson is fed up with this typing and wants to go and do his own things on the computer.

By-the-way, the oxo and pepper sleep cure is deadly! It made me throw up over the cat who likes to sleep on the bed (but not any more). Thank you to whoever it was that told me about that crackpot idea. I hope you live a long life....
G. Jackson  
#69 Posted : 07 September 2009 00:47:21(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Dora, I have read your latest post and am quite turned on by it. I think it is the leg thing. The comment about me being related to anyone from New Mills/Hayfield/Birch Vale is way off the mark, I don't know anyone from these areas and in my day we were told not to frequent this sort of place so I didn't. I hope Wilf's leg gets better, Ivan's didn't !
Your previous post mentioned the Critchlows, a family that smelled and lived over the wall from the canal and lived in squalor by the sound of it, I would like it to be known by everyone on this forun that I do not know anyone of that name or reputation at all and resent the insinuation that I do know them.
parabuild  
#70 Posted : 07 September 2009 07:57:28(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Good Morning Dora

I do hope your cat had a good sleep after all that OXO, I'm sure it will have helped.

Now we're all good mathematicians on this forum and will have worked out that as you were at school in the 1920's, your son Gibson must also be well past his youth; in his 60's I imagine. As he has named himself after a guitar, I suppose he must have another Christian name otherwise he would be called Gibson Gibson.  When can we expext to see Gibson's postings on this forum, I am sure he must have interesting contributions to make.

By the way, I can think of one or two people who live rather like your friends Critchlows today.

Dora Gibson  
#71 Posted : 07 September 2009 21:53:25(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Mr 'G' Jackson, I really don't know what your problem is. I don't thank you for asking about Wilf's leg in your unsympathetic, light-hearted way, because my dear Wilf died many years ago - thank you for reminding me of that awful day and ...... well done you insensitive Jackson you!

As for New Mills and its reputation, I can well understand you wishing to maintain a clear berth from the town as only folk with some substance would even dane to darken its doorsteps. From the sounds of you though, (seem like a grumpy, old man to me), most of New Mills would have wished to keep well away from you!

You shouldn't make fun of the Critchlows. It wasn't their fault that they smelt. My treat of the week was to be given an orange every Sunday after I had attended church. I would go down to the canal and wait for no sign of life and leave my orange on the doorstep of the Critchlow's hut. I just wished I could have done more, but I was only a child and I wouldn't, couldn't take anything else to give them that wasn't mine. I think this wanting to help them might have been to do with the headmaster's wife at Horwich End Primary being kind to me. She very quickly picked up that I loved reading and would slip magazines and the odd book into my pump-bag and I would have to hide these away behind an old chest in the kitchen because my ma and da just wouldn't have understood.

More fool you Mr Jackson for not knowing the Critchlows! I got to know and spend some time with them and the stories they told were simply incredible and wonderous. Mrs Critchlow was the most amazing seamstress and had no machine, but stitched everything by hand and did the most wonderful embroidery. Surely someone must remember her and her family?

Mr Jackson, I think you could do with a few stiff drinks to chill you out, rather than messing up the ozone with one of those ridiculous pedalo machines. I bet two pints of shandy and you're a gonna!

Dora Gibson  
#72 Posted : 07 September 2009 22:08:39(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Oh Parabuild, so it was you, the biggest twerp on earth who recommended that ludicrous concoction! As an old lady I can truly say that you could do with a slap in the gob for that incredibly stupid suggestion. More fool me and obviously I am also as stupid as you for me to have even thought to try it! Well as the saying goes, 'there's one born every minute!'

Don't start trying to bring Gibson into the forum for although he is batchelor of the parish, he's definitely no mans fool and thinks this forum is ridiculous and unreal. I hate using the name GIBSON because I had christened him Harold after his Grandfather. However, he has a huge collection of guitars and makes a god-forlorn din day and night. This is probably why Harold has not managed to get or hold onto a girlfriend. He is guitar mad!!!! I put up with it because the alternative is being put in a home. Harold gets respite care and I hate the home that he puts me in because they make you wear nappies....... because they don't have time to take you to the toilet. Then there are the looney-tunes who babble, squeal and some even take their clothes off - not a pretty sight and I'm getting more blind by the minute.

I'm sure Harold/Gibson isn't too happy about me leaving Timmy the Tortoise in my will to him. If he doesn't look after him and this will be checked out by annual vet checks, then he loses his inheritance. You might think this mean, but I think H needs to be handed some responsibility in his life.

Must go as Gibson is straining at the leash to talk to his friends and my head is going every wich way.....
Techy  
#73 Posted : 08 September 2009 10:07:49(UTC)

I cannot believe how off topic this thread has become.

I love the pram race but maybe it should have been posted in the Local History section so people can find it instead of buried in this thread.

G. Jackson  
#74 Posted : 08 September 2009 14:41:40(UTC)
G. Jackson

In post 35 of this subject I mentioned Mr. Frank Lomas-Fletcher who worked as head mechanic at the WB+Buxton Coop garage near the fire station ( which took our fairground ).  Before he worked there he used to help his auntie Mrs. Heath who had a shop on the bottom of Macc. Road. It was the 4th house up from Goyt Road and she made and sold oatcakes. Not like the piddling ones you get now but a bit thicker and a much bigger diameter. They were a penny each but you could get seven for a tanner.  With one of these and a slice of bacon on a Sunday morning we thought we were in heaven. I think that shop has now closed !

Jovial Jester  
#75 Posted : 08 September 2009 15:01:37(UTC)

There was a shop at the bottom of Macclesfield Road not so long ago. I think the guy who runs the Judith Mary Canal Boat had something to do with it but I'm not too sure what type of shop it was.

J J

Over the hill but not far away  
#76 Posted : 08 September 2009 16:50:31(UTC)

Anyone sussed out Dora yet.?.. There is something familar about his, I mean her style of writing, use of punctuation and a mix of  strange Northern (last of the summer wine) dialect and bang up to date coloquialisms  ... I feel sure we have encountered him-I mean her on the old forum.

Perhaps Dora's entertaining diarys could be in another thread and most certainly not in the local history forum-more the creative writing section.

I'm also sure I saw Lord Cornflake talking to her on Old Road although it's quite possible that they were both unaware of their alter ego's.

Anyway I see the veg shop is now the pet shop

Cheers

Edited by user 08 September 2009 16:51:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bartak  
#77 Posted : 08 September 2009 17:31:39(UTC)

Norrin Radd

#78 Posted : 08 September 2009 19:15:18(UTC)

Now you've spoilt it-well at least she can't blame me

Cheers

Edited by user 08 September 2009 19:24:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bartak  
#79 Posted : 08 September 2009 19:39:33(UTC)

Black Sheep Antiques

Old Road

Whaley Bridge

Edited by user 08 September 2009 21:09:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#80 Posted : 08 September 2009 21:38:27(UTC)
G. Jackson

To the Jovial Jester,

Thanks for the comment about the shop at the bottom of Macc Road. The one to which I refer closed just after the war, sometime about 1925. Are you thinking of the TV shop ,the grocery shop,  the car spares shop or the toffee shop. All these have been within a few doors of the oatcake shop.

Edited by user 08 September 2009 21:39:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified