logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CllrJonG  
#21 Posted : 12 November 2009 23:04:52(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi Curious,

You have posted some fantastic stuff! We tried to find the fountain before without success. It does look rather like it is the top bit of the Whaley fountain. I cant really think there would be two pelican fountains in the same village. I look forward to your post !

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Curious  
#22 Posted : 17 November 2009 21:12:37(UTC)
Curious

Groups: Member
Woman

Just reporting back after checking some facts about what my family may know about Horwich End Fountain. 

After telling my mum about the ongoing saga on this Forum about the Whaley Bridge and Horwich End Fountains, she asked if it had swans round the side of it, because she remembers my Grandma used to have one like that in her garden.  On closer inspection, the Whaley Bridge fountain does look like pelicans round it, but the birds on the Horwich End one seem to have much slender necks and they do look more like swans.  It turns out that Grandma’s fountain was used as a birdbath in her garden for many years, but we are assuming it came through my Grandad’s side of the family, because Grandma never liked it and thought it was cursed.  When Grandad died aged only 60 in 1956, this confirmed the curse and the fountain had to go.  I showed mum a close up picture of the Horwich End fountain and she said it certainly looked like the birdbath in Grandma’s garden.  I’m not sure when it came into our family.  They previously lived across the road in an older house where my Great Grandfather had also lived up until his death in 1912.   I have photos of both theses houses showing the gardens, one decorated for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II and the other house which was taken in the early 1940s and unfortunately they are both taken at the wrong angle to check if the birdbath was in residence.

My dad used to buy, sell or exchange stuff, so we can only guess that to get rid of it, on Grandma’s orders, he exchanged it for something else that he was into at that time.  He used to go with his mate Frank Cotterell and trade things with a Mrs Moss at Macclesfield – could that be where it went and who the heck was Mrs Moss?  Possibly Jim Etchells who now lives at Woodbrook might know something about this – if anyone reading this is in regular contact with Jim could they ask him if he remembers anything about his Aunty Nellie’s birdbath?

Does anyone know when the single storey extension on the left of Horwich End bank was built?  It isn't there on the photo I posted earlier and it is clearly built on the space where the fountain used to stand.  That would probably have been when the fountain was dismantled and sold/given away/pinched? 

My photo of the bank at Horwich End turned up in a bag of old family photos that I have recently been given, which are mostly of people from late 1800s early 1900s and again, I am only guessing, but I think they were taken by my Great Uncle Inkerman who was a photographer of note at about that time.  I will try and visit Cousin Jim when I get chance to see if he can put names to any of these people.

But in the meantime, I hope that I can’t be in anyway brought to book for anything that my family may or may not have done many years ago, but I too would like to know if anybody can shed any more light on the saga of the fountains.

Curious

Gnatalee  
#23 Posted : 17 November 2009 22:52:10(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hello Curious

Although I have never seen the original fountain, and looking at the photographs of the Horwich End and Whaley fountains I am not convinced they are one and the same, I enjoyed reading your account of the family connection with the fountain ! (Are you sure your Dad wasn't Del Boy (no offence) as your description sounds very like an "Only Fools and Horses" script).

Its a bit like the item on "Look Northwest" recently about the war memorial which had been discovered and no-one knew where it had originated from. (I believe it belonged to the Co-operative Wholesale Society in memory of their workers who fell in the War). I am sure that many villages and towns have small monuments replaced/removed because of redevelopment or failure in their function, but where do they go?

A number of years ago I visited an establishment which dealt in "reclaimed" goods from buildings - slates, bricks, plumbing works, stone fireplaces - you name it - they had it ! Fantastic !! The funniest thing in this establishment was a pulpit (complete with lectern) in which they had placed a dummy/model of Britannia holding the Union Jack. I laughed my way round that building becuase I couldn't believe what I was looking at.  Rows of toilets, sinks, pews - BUT I can't remember if I saw a fountain resembling the one in the picture. It must be somewhere!

Thank you Curious, you have shown how talking to elderly relatives can enrich our understanding of the local history. I suggest that anyone with elderly relatives sits down with a cuppa and have a chat with them and talk about the old days in Whaley - they will love it and you will end up with information that money can't buy !! (And of course you can then pass it on to all of us on the forum !!)

Finally, am very interested in the photos you were given - is there any chance you will be posting any of them on this site? A "bag" of photos sounds, to me, like a lot of history !

Best wishes

Gnats

Edited by user 17 November 2009 22:57:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

RockBanker  
#24 Posted : 18 November 2009 16:48:23(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
As we drifted in this thread into old Buxton pictures, I thought you might enjoy this

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Gnatalee  
#25 Posted : 18 November 2009 17:17:47(UTC)
Gnatalee

Rockbanker

That's excellent - the quality is surprisingly good. Just wish that the camera had lowered a little (on the return "pan") to see the people walking around.

Well discovered !  

Gnats

Edited by user 18 November 2009 17:20:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Radar  
#26 Posted : 18 November 2009 20:48:26(UTC)
Radar

Rockbanker,

What a great piece of footage.

It is good to see the station in its original form with the roof intact instead of just a window in the end wall. In fact there is a matching building on the opposite side of the road.

Does anyone remember there being two station buildings?

Radar

Radar attached the following image(s):
Buxton Station.JPG
parabuild  
#27 Posted : 18 November 2009 21:48:48(UTC)
parabuild

Man

There were indeed two stations in Buxton,  Radar.  The nearer one in the picture was the old Midland Railway station with services to Millers Dale, Derby etc.  This closed I think in 1967.   The remaining station was built by the Lodon North Western Railway and in addition to the Manchester line, ran trains to Ashbourne.  The two stations were almost identical in design.

I imagine Rock Banker found the video on the British Film Institute You Tube channel.   There are many period films here which can be viewed free of charge including one inside the Buxton Dome in 1916 and a number of Manchester scenes.

www.youtube.com/user/BFIfilms

Edited by user 18 November 2009 22:04:59(UTC)  | Reason: punctuation

RockBanker  
#28 Posted : 19 November 2009 09:05:15(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

The remains of the end wall of the Midland Station can still be seen at the western end of the Spring Gardens car park at the top of Station Approach, near the pedestrian crossing. The Spring Gardens relief road (the current main road from the Palace Hotel Roundabout down past Aldi) and the car-park obliterated much of the old station site. I cannot say I truly remember the station as it was, but I do remember vividly as a very small child travelling on one of the last trains from Buxton to Millers Dale in the driver's cab. Would not be able to get away with that these days,

Edited by user 19 November 2009 09:11:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#29 Posted : 19 November 2009 15:10:00(UTC)
G. Jackson

I indeed remember the two stations at Buxton. We left Whaley early in the morning and went by the "new diesel train" to Buxton, we changed there and finished up near Dover where we took a plane ride to the outskirts of Paris and a train ride took us to the North Station in Paris. We had a week there and it was  reported in a paper whilst we were there that a young Russian called Yuri Gagarin was sent into space. Was anyone else on the same trip?????

Frankie  
#30 Posted : 19 November 2009 20:10:18(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

WHAT HAS BUXTON RAILWAY STATION GOT TO DO WITH HORWICH  END CORONATION CELEBRATIONS.?    

snowy  
#31 Posted : 20 November 2009 08:56:06(UTC)
snowy

Good point Frankie, but it's nice to indulge in memories of the good old days when you could take the train from Whaley to London with a couple of changes at Buxton and Miller's Dale.

There are various proposals to improve the service frequency on the Buxton-Manchester route and possibly even to provide a direct link to Matlock and Derby by reinstating the old Midland line. If this ever happens, it might be a good opportunity to make a new Horwich End station just off Chapel Road with a replica of the swan/cormorant fountain as its centre piece. Just in time to celebrate the centenary of the coronation?

Edited by user 20 November 2009 09:18:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#32 Posted : 20 November 2009 13:12:37(UTC)
Frankie

WELL SAID SNOWY         

RockBanker  
#33 Posted : 20 November 2009 13:30:50(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Fountains in this style still seem to be readily available - just try googling for "Swan Fountains" - Here is one for example http://www.potsnpots.com...tain/fountain_iron_1.jpg

G. Jackson  
#34 Posted : 21 November 2009 17:02:07(UTC)
G. Jackson

Is this not the Whaley Bridge fountain painted black??????
Dora Gibson  
#35 Posted : 23 November 2009 19:08:25(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Frankie, try not to be so pernickity with the drift of conversations on this forum. You quickly turned around when someone said something that you were interested in, so perhaps you might give others the same free-rein??????????????????????

I think I know where the fountain is, but dare not say as I don't think it ought to be where it is........................ and 'No, General Jackson, the one I see is not painted black!' It is eau naturale (I hope that is spelt correctly dear folk).

Yours, Dora Gibson

Edited by user 23 November 2009 19:09:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#36 Posted : 26 November 2009 16:00:55(UTC)
Frankie

DORA,

Snowy did mention Horwich End.     

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#37 Posted : 06 December 2009 12:18:10(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

It is generally accepted that the Whaley Bridge Fountain found its way from Market Street to a private garden in one of the houses between Trinity Church Hall and the School Garage.

R. S-S
Horwich Ender  
#38 Posted : 06 December 2009 15:29:00(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon R. S-S

Do you know which house the fountain was taken to and what was the reason for the removal?

Over the hill but not far away  
#39 Posted : 06 December 2009 16:16:33(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

Curiouser and curiouser (sic)

This very afternoon I was passing this row whilst on my afternoon walk and I feel sure that I glimpsed  a well known forum member  knocking at a front door - handing over an envelope - and then driving a van around the back.. hmmm

Off to buy some home cured ham and ginger beer and to check ebay

Cheers

Edited by user 06 December 2009 16:21:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#40 Posted : 06 December 2009 18:02:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Horwich Ender wrote:

Good afternoon R. S-S

Do you know which house the fountain was taken to and what was the reason for the removal?

Horwich Ender,

How very nice to see you back; I was only thinking about you today and I was going to ask forum members if they had any news of you. Not heard from you since early November.

I hope you are in good shape old lad.

Now back to the matter in hand: I am not 100% sure which house the fountain found its way to. But it is generally accepted that it did.

Cast your mind back to the turn of the last century or better still read The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist by Robert Tressel and you will see how public artefacts generally and usually became ‘private’ property.

More later I think.

R. S-S