logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#61 Posted : 14 December 2009 11:08:10(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

The Council appointed Sterling and Swann Civil Engineers of Chapel-en-le-Frith to design both sets of water supplies.
The Contractors were: for the Whaley Scheme, Messrs A. and E. Oakes (Buxton); and for the Fernilee Horwich End scheme, Mr J.C. Varley, Oldham.

“After the successful switch-on luncheon was served at the Mechanics and then the festivities continued in Horwich Park where the main event was a tug of war contest between a team from the Waterloo Coalpit and a team consisting of members of the Order of Buffaloes. The miners won a keen contest.

A pole-climbing contest showed that there were some fine climbers among the boys of the district.    Much amusement was caused by a race among the married women, several of whom, in their eagerness to reach the finishing post, fell and could go no further.
Councillor Ashmore gave Col. Colles 50yds start in a 100yds race, but Col. Colles was handicapped by carrying Lieut. Saxby on his back.   Much amusement was caused by Councillor Ashmore being left hopelessly behind.
A very pleasant evening was brought to a close by the singing of the National Anthem.”

Doesn’t it make you proud to be British although it wouldn’t happen nowadays? Could you imagine our current Councillors having a race in The Park even more so could you imagine what our new Councillor, Mss Lomas, would think of it should her first duty be to ride 50 yards on Cllr Goldfinch’s back with Cllr Jean in hot pursuit.

No it would never happen. Would it, could it, Jon?

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#62 Posted : 24 December 2009 11:18:38(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good morning everyone,

This missing fountain thing has aroused my interest in everything regarding water in and around Whaley. I have spent a bit of time researching the subject and it really is amazing what you can find.
Lots of stuff on Toddbrook Reservoir, goats all over the place, illegal bridges, flooded mine shafts, murder most foul, drownings and perhaps even a missing reservoir never mind a silly old fountain or two.

And by drownings I am not going to mention anything insensitive about that subject of course. I am referring to the old not recent history of Whaley Bridge.

The topic of the extension to Whaley Lane needs to be re-examined because this is also involved, as is the extension to the Railway (that’s trains not a pub’s smoking shelter). Whaley Park will have to be addressed also as it has had its part to play in Whaley water.

I’ll start a new thread for all this stuff shortly.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#63 Posted : 24 December 2009 11:21:14(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Looking forward to that R S-S. Merry Christmas
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Fedup  
#64 Posted : 24 December 2009 20:47:34(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

quote=R. Stephenson-Smythe]

"Doesn’t it make you proud to be British although it wouldn’t happen nowadays? Could you imagine our current Councillors having a race in The Park even more so could you imagine what our new Councillor, Mss Lomas, would think of it should her first duty be to ride 50 yards on Cllr Goldfinch’s back with Cllr Jean in hot pursuit.

No it would never happen. Would it, could it, Jon?

R. S-S"

The mind just boggles!  Thank Heavens it's Christmas and I can grab that bottle of whisky on my way to a darkened room!

Look forward to more information on Whaley water in the New Year RSS.

Edited by user 24 December 2009 20:48:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified