logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Curious  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2009 20:17:04(UTC)
Curious

Groups: Member
Woman

I've been very interested in the old photos that have been posted on this site.  Here's one that I have just unearthed which is taken outside what is now the bank at Horwich End and I guess it is either the Coronation of Edward V11 in 1901 or George V in 1910.  Does anyone know any more about it?

File Attachment(s):
Horwich End.jpg (295kb) downloaded 193 time(s).
Gnatalee  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2009 22:37:46(UTC)
Gnatalee

Thank you Curious !!

That is a fantastic photograph - it is really clear and the way the people are dressed is fascinating. The young girls with shortish dresses and the more elegant ladies in the background with their long dresses. So interesting. I remember my grandmother saying that her teacher wore a floor-length dress which, when she was walking along the pavement, swept up the dust on the ground in a "swirl" behind her as she walked along - and all this before the arrival of dry-cleaning !!

Great - keep 'em coming if you have any more photos.

Best wishes

Gnats

Edited by user 30 October 2009 22:39:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2009 09:00:37(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

First of all a very warm welcome to this forum, Curious,

That’s one I’ve never seen before and one of the best to come out for quite some time.

One point of interest is the fountain; if it is a fountain. Well it certainly looks like one and they had one very, very similar down in Whaley once upon a time and it mysteriously went missing.
To me and you that meant it was nicked. It was the subject of two large debates on the last forum.

I had no idea we had our own fountain in Horwich End but how fascinating if we ‘acquired’ it from our neighbours. I shall try to find a photo of the Whaley fountain for comparison.

It’s probably just as well that it is no longer there (i.e. the Horwich End fountain) because it appears to be adorned with birds and I could well imagine it getting peppered with lead shot by someone in the early hours after late night poetry classes.

As Gnatalee says if you have anything else please let us have a look.

R. S-S
G. Jackson  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2009 13:00:03(UTC)
G. Jackson

I knew the b............. from Horwich End had nicked OUR fountain but couldn't prove it until now. Where's Bill Boston when you want him?   I'm going to go to the police station on Williamson Crescent right away !

Edited by user 31 October 2009 13:05:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

High Peak Harry  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2009 19:04:55(UTC)
High Peak Harry

There are some fascinating photos on here and none more so than those which contain old buildings. I have travelled this country extensively in various jobs and I always look at the architecture of the town or city I am in. Broadway in the Cotswolds, Stamford in Lincolnshire (house on the left dropping down into the town says Cromwell had a meeting there) Manchester and Liverpool. Now, to my point, up until fairly recently most civic buildings looked like they cost about £30 to build. Our Victorian forefathers must weep when they look down at some of the cheap tacky structures. Yes, we know cost has to play a part but do we want to live in some East German concrete conurbation. Even the most basic of Victorian houses would put some of today's Civic Halls to shame. Have these people no sense of how to create history? We seem to have been taken over by H&S fools and accountants. The Town hall in New Mills is a case in point. A couple of years ago in the Buxton Advertiser it was reported that they had to put up a flag pole at the rear of the building because it was not safe to use the one above the clock. So, more expense and it takes away from the symbolic nature of raising a flag if it is seen as an afterthought. We are the only place I can think of which behave like this when it comes to heritage, be it with symbols or buildings. Who are these people who would deny us leaving our mark.

Phew, I'm going for a lie down now!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 31 October 2009 19:39:39(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

An unusually sombre posting from Harry but you do have to agree with him.

One of my favourite places is Buxton and within that town is the magnificent Crescent building.

Magnificent except that it has lain empty and has been at various stages of disrepair and dereliction for the past 22 years.

Do you think this would be allowed to happen in any other country?
No neither do I.

A Grade 1 listed building in 21st century Britain has been allowed to virtually disintegrate as we watch. At times parts of the roof have fallen in; the building has suffered from massive wet and dry rot problems. How many Grade 1 listed buildings do you think we have in The High Peak?
Not many. You might be surprised.

There is supposed to be a ‘Buildings at Risk Register’ and owners of listed buildings can and should be served notice to maintain them. Sadly the Crescent or its owners seem to have managed to bypass this planning law.
You try it and see where it gets you.

If it wasn’t so sad it would make you laugh.

There is an almost identical building in Bath. Do you think the same thing could happen there?
No neither do I.
But then again that’s down South the Crescent is up North.

What is more The Haddon Hall Hotel, also in Buxton, is not in much better shape.

Anyway I know this is a Whaley Bridge message board so rant over.

R. S-S

Curious  
#7 Posted : 31 October 2009 21:12:32(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Whilst you are talking about the sad state of Buxton, particulary the crescent, I've got a picture of Buxton showing part of what is now the Cavendish Arcade in better times.  I'm not sure what happened to the Well and all it's fancy bits - I don't think I've got a picture of any of it turning up in Horwich End, but I'll keep looking.

Curious attached the following image(s):
Buxton Celebration.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 01 November 2009 10:00:53(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Curious,

That is a photo of Turner’s Memorial which was bumped into by a van in the 1950’s and taken down and stored in the council yard On Market street where it remained for about 30 years until it was put back together and re-erected back in the same spot.

It was the focal point for the flowers on the death of Princess Diana.

But another damn fine photo from you once again.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#9 Posted : 01 November 2009 11:25:13(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Curious,

Here is a photo showing the position of Turner’s Memorial. I had a photo of the van crashed into it but I’ve just spent the best part of an hour trying to find it; and I can’t.

This picture also shows Billy Smith’s bath chairs that he used to convey disabled people around Buxton. Looks like he was a busy chap.

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#10 Posted : 01 November 2009 11:35:00(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi R-.S-S

About what year would this have been taken? Looks to me like there could have been a bit of "chariot racing" going on in quieter periods.

Gnats

Edited by user 01 November 2009 11:36:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 01 November 2009 12:06:11(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good day Gnats,

The photo was taken on the 3rd June 1902 at 3.21pm.

The weather was fine but there had been a few snow flurries earlier in the day.

Other than that I can not help you.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#12 Posted : 01 November 2009 14:47:41(UTC)
Gnatalee

Not as early as I originally thought - I thought it would have been 2 June 1902 at 1.47. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

Gnats

Edited by user 01 November 2009 14:49:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#13 Posted : 01 November 2009 18:20:45(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Naughty, naughty Gnats!!

Edited by user 01 November 2009 18:21:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#14 Posted : 01 November 2009 22:17:53(UTC)
Gnatalee

Fedup

Nothing naughty about it - can't think what you mean !!

I was surprised the photo was taken as late as the date R.S-S gave (only slightly), but of course there were no snow flurries on the 2nd so obviously I was wrong. Don't mind admitting it, in fact I think it was in 1969 when a cricket match was halted at Buxton due to snow, Am I right on this one or not?

Gnats

Edited by user 01 November 2009 22:19:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#15 Posted : 02 November 2009 08:57:44(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Sorry Gnats,

I got the day wrong for some reason; it was actually the 2nd June, 1975 when snow stopped the cricket match between Derbyshire and Lancashire at the Park, Buxton.

A load of us went to see Derbyshire give Lancashire a damn good thrashing. The snow was an inch deep and umpire, Dickie Bird called off play for the day.

No matter we still had time to beat them.

Match Result:

Lancashire:    1st Innings - 477 for 5 declared   (Clive Lloyd  167 no).

Derbyshire:    1st Innings -   42 all out (A Hill 0)

Derbyshire:    2nd Innings - 87 all out (A Hill 2)

It turned out to be a lovely summer

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#16 Posted : 05 November 2009 17:19:03(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I’ve been trying to do some research into the twin fountains of Whaley Bridge and Horwich End but I am not getting very far and I may need some help.

Whaley Bridge had its ‘water turn on’ in 1901 and there was a fountain on the footpath to mark the occasion. It was near to where the toilets are now. Obviously they weren’t there then because there was no water.

Cllr JonG originally put a photo of the opening day of the fountain on this forum (where is Jon by the way, he is missed).
On later photos showing the same spot for the Coronation of George V the fountain had disappeared and its whereabouts were the subject of two major debates on the old forum. The issue was never resolved.

Some eighteen months later along comes Curious and puts a marvellous photo on here showing the bank at Horwich End and it does look like we have run off with the top of the Whaley fountain and plonked it in Horwich End.
Theft, vandalism, call it what you want but the resourceful Horwich Enders in 1911ended up with a fountain and the Whaleyites ended up with none at all. One – nil to Horwich End I think.

Just to make certain we have an old snapshot of the top of the Whaley fountain for comparison purposes and what is more, and this is down to no lesser authority than Rockbanker, I think we had pelicans in town long before my Peter arrived.

Over to you RB.

R. S-S

Horwich End Fountain:

Whaley Bridge Fountain:

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#17 Posted : 05 November 2009 19:27:00(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

The more I look at that photo of Horwich End the more I think we may have found the source of the world famous Peckham Spring.

R. S-S
Horwich Ender  
#18 Posted : 05 November 2009 19:33:58(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Very interesting R. S-S

I note the gentleman sitting on the wall in Horwich End, third from the left, has a remarkable resemblance to Cherry Burton. A relative perhaps?

Power to the Horwich Enders.

barrwalk  
#19 Posted : 12 November 2009 15:53:43(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

BUILDINGS IN NEED OF RENOVATION? WE NEED A NEW CELEBRATION.

We do of course have our own. Our jewel in the crown that could bring the centre of Whaley to life again and be the centre of the community we deserve - THE TRANSHIPMENT WAREHOUSE !     

You must have seen it down at the Canal Basin. It's where the water from Combs and Todd Brook Reservoirs top up the Peak Forest Canal water level and where the famous but soon to perish Whaley Water Weekend (W3) used to be.

Unfortunately its' future was put behind that of Bingswood Industrial Estate new Bridge on the list of priorities (some months ago) by WBTC and HPBC and now we hear that the new bridge funding is in trouble. WBTC Minutes Sept/Oct. Whatever next? This building has been unused for a generation and might well be unused for the next. BUT that's no surprise to those who have the ability to look beyond the end of their noses.

The Coronation Rowans at the bottom of Canal Street and the memorial plate on the main road by the Canal Basin have been neglected for even longer than that. You try and find it but don't forget take your machete.  

Curious  
#20 Posted : 12 November 2009 20:18:08(UTC)
Curious

Woman

I think I may have found out what happened to the Horwich End Water Fountain - at least I think I know where it was up until about 1956.  Just checking a few facts and I'll let you all know as soon as I can - watch this space.