logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fedup  
#21 Posted : 05 January 2010 15:17:56(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Yes, I agree with you WeatherWatcher. Of course we should get a better service for the amount of money we pay. But it isn't going to happen. Gone are the days when Councils actually cared for people. Now they care for profit margins and targets.

All I was saying was that some years back people helped one another, but now, and it could be because we have a more migratory population, so we do not know our neighbours like we used to, it seems to be everyone for themselves.

But I do most emphatically agree that we seem to get very little for the Tax we pay.

Edited by user 05 January 2010 15:18:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nce  
#22 Posted : 05 January 2010 18:00:41(UTC)
nce

Fedup wrote:

Now nobody does anything for themselves.

incorrect. Here is my handiwork for the day. The problem now is that there is no grit to spread on it, so it will freeze. so the street is still stuffed.

nce attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Over the hill but not far away  
#23 Posted : 05 January 2010 18:44:45(UTC)

Nige

I don't think that you were included in the "nobody".

I dont feel that we should give up- I noticed today that a number of shop keepers had cleared their fronts and all it takes is one or two in each street to clear their bit and that of an elderly person to pehaps shame others into activity and to expend a few of those surplus calories recently stored.

I think that it would be prudent (for all residents that can afford it) to have a bag of salt in the shed as soon as stocks become readily available and for those that claim they cant afford a couple of pounds a year perhaps some  could spend a little less on flat screen TV width and expensive trainers for their offspring. 

Maybe someone like a local builders merchants could purchase a large stock of salt at a favourable (cost even!) price for local people to use on their side roads and paths which are never in our lifetimes going to receive  Local Authority attention

I do hope also that we have all been looking in on our old and less able folk to make sure they have coal and food.

Here's to a less selfish decade

Cheers

Edited by user 05 January 2010 18:54:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#24 Posted : 05 January 2010 19:32:17(UTC)
Fedup

Certainly was not including you in my rather generalised statement, nce. I perhaps should have said "many people".

Well done you on your efforts, but like you say, without grit, a lot of the effort is wasted.

I remember a time when local farmers cleared the side roads of snow, allowing the gritters to get through, and the grit then actually worked. Putting grit on top of soft snow and packed ice is not as effective. Can you imagine in these safety and politically correct days what H & S would make of tractors driving up and down side roads shovelling snow!

And yes, I do believe we have a duty to take care of those who are less able and weaker than we are. I am certainly well past my spring chicken era, but I can still get around and am able to fend for myself. One day I may not be able to, and hope that if that time comes there will be someone who knocks on my door to make sure I am OK. (Although I don't think it will be Cllr Jon!)

Edited by user 05 January 2010 19:35:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tyke  
#25 Posted : 05 January 2010 21:15:59(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

This strange creature was spotted going down Whaley lane this morning. Note its yellow plumage not the usual orange. This is because it was a migratory creature all the way from Cheshire......one wonders why Here?

Edited by user 05 January 2010 21:18:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tyke attached the following image(s):
Jan-05-2010-003_whaleylane.jpg
Fedup  
#26 Posted : 05 January 2010 21:46:30(UTC)
Fedup

My word! Not often you see one of those! Well done Tyke - one for the record books!

Edited by user 05 January 2010 21:47:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kiv35  
#27 Posted : 05 January 2010 23:54:27(UTC)
Kiv35

Man

Well done NCE for clearing up the snow at the top of the hill, even if the local council will not/can not place a grit bin. I have to work away a lot and without helpful neighbours like yourself my better half would not be able to make the commute to the hospital where she works.

This summer ,bar b que at my house! (The mastiff owner).

On another issue, does anybody have an inside as to why the footpath on Chapel Road has no recognised surface treatment ? Is the councils handy work, or should it have been rectified by the developer? 

And its just started snowing on Blackfriars Bridge in London, world comes to a halt.

Edited by user 05 January 2010 23:56:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

nce  
#28 Posted : 06 January 2010 09:01:42(UTC)
nce

Kiv35, you speak as though you are also a Cotton closer. Are you in my neighourhood?

After clearing all that snow, and seeing, I have to say, a great many snow ploughs, i saw a man with a truck full of grit heading up Elnor Lane. I hoped beyond hope that he might be from WBTC and he might be filling the bin at the top of Elnor Lane. So I set out with two bags and a shovel. On reaching the top, I was dismayed to find it still empty. Still more worrying was its state of repair that had allowed water in and caked solid about a quarter of the volume of the bin. Now what really make me cross was the DCC gritter that swept past me while I was there with its two so-called 'snow heroes' on board. Great job lads. The major routes are open but no-one can actually GET TO THEM! And why did you not stop and let me spade some grit into this tiny, little bin. I realise that this is something to do with council demarcations of responsibility, but guess what? I DON"T CARE. I WANT GRIT IN THE SELF HELP BINS NOW!!!! We are willing to dig ourselves out, but there is no point if we cannot melt the surface and prevent fresh snowfall from adhering to it. That is the principle of road clearing no matter where you live.
And while we are on it, I presume that the council did not collect the waste bins because they cannot get to us. Well, that's a nonsense as you can see from my photos. The bins can be collected bacause a bin truck will have enough traction on the surface [1]. You just didn't even TRY.

Lazy, lazy, lazy, lazy.

Nige.

1. Part of my problem is my car, I admit. It is an RWD automatic. But even so, I have taken steps there too. My snow chains are due today. Those operating heavy lorries have no excuse, unless a trucker wants to explain otherwise.
nce  
#29 Posted : 06 January 2010 13:31:32(UTC)
nce

Kiv35 wrote:

This summer ,bar b que at my house! (The mastiff owner).

Ah. The penny drops! BBQ great for me!

Nige.

Kiv35  
#30 Posted : 06 January 2010 20:14:37(UTC)
Kiv35

Man

Nige,

Take care with the snow chains, take them off as soon as possible. They will destroy your tyres. I speak from experience, two winters in Germany and one in the Falklands!

Regards,

Rob (and Dougie the dog)

tyke  
#31 Posted : 07 January 2010 08:40:43(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

They have reported temperature of -18 in Woodford today....correct me if I am wrong but salt water freezes at about -21C or -6F we are getting very close to salt being useless! ( at least for early morning!)

#32 Posted : 07 January 2010 09:08:45(UTC)

Well Mr Tyke

I left my mobile on my van seat last night and Mr frost has used his icy fingers to re arrange the liquid crystals in the display.

There certainly is a nip in the air but I expect to hear the reassuring and comforting sound of a 1.9 Diesel engine  coming from over the hill  quite soon :)

Cheers

Edited by user 07 January 2010 11:41:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

buggyite  
#33 Posted : 07 January 2010 09:43:33(UTC)
buggyite

Man

According to my inside/outside thermometer, the minimum temperature here last night was -13.1°C.

With regard to the point at which salt water freezes, I am sure I have heard "experts" on the TV news say that when the temperature drops below -6°C, spreading salt on the roads becomes ineffective.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
CllrJonG  
#34 Posted : 07 January 2010 10:28:40(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

I thought I would pass on this information, which was sent to HPBC members and forwarded to WBTC members by Cllr. John Pritchard. Simon Baker is the joint CEO of HPBC and SMDC

I am also told that this year for the first time Derbyshire County Council assumed full responsibility for gritting in our area, wheras in the past this was done by HPBC and DCC. 

Cheers

Jon.

FOR INFORMATION

Sent: 06 January 2010 15:52
To: HighPeak BC Members
Subject: Weather Update

Councillors,

I have received a number of enquiries about how the Council services are coping and despite the severe weather conditions, many Council employees have persevered and successfully made the journey into work, to help maintain our Council services for the public.

Top priorities have been the gritting of roads and pavements – very much in the public eye at the moment. While this service is the legal responsibility of the County, nevertheless both High Peak Borough Council and Staffordshire Moorlands District Council have each offered our services to help grit pavements whenever and wherever possible.

Both Staffordshire and Derbyshire counties have accepted our offers and vital gritting of priority areas designated by the Counties is taking place, with rock salt and grit both being in limited supply. Borough and District Car Parks are also being gritted as part of our own responsibilities.

The collection of waste bins has also been severely affected. Snow and ice have presented potentially dangerous access hazards for collection vehicles and their crews. Consequently bin collections have temporarily been suspended in most areas. However some collection staff have been redeployed to assist in gritting and clearing footpaths in town centres, in support of our County colleagues. Once conditions improve, information will be circulated as to how and when normal collection services will be resumed

So far throughout this inclement weather, all our Council offices and One-Stop shops have been open and providing services. Understandably there have been a very high number of telephone calls from the public – many relating to gritting and bin collections. News releases have been issued to local media and web pages updated on the general situation on a daily basis.

The challenges of this severe weather are being closely analysed and lessons learnt to help prepare for any future occurrences. Nevertheless, it is gratifying to see the dedication and perseverance of our staff in their efforts to maintain public services in times of need.

Regards,

Simon
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Web Watcher  
#35 Posted : 07 January 2010 11:20:59(UTC)
Web Watcher

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I have pleasure to report that my dustbin has just been emptied!!! Yipee!!!!!!

Thank you to the polite and helpful men who were doing the work - they too my extra bags and did not complain that the bin was behind the massive hump of snow created by the snow plough.

Edited by user 07 January 2010 15:37:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

lord cornflake  
#36 Posted : 07 January 2010 15:09:49(UTC)
lord cornflake

I got in the car at six oclock this morning and as I went through tunstead it dropped to -17,brr thats cold.

WeatherWatcher  
#37 Posted : 07 January 2010 16:24:49(UTC)
WeatherWatcher

I had a great time walking around the village this afternoon, seeing the sights and sounds of a Whaley Bridge covered in a winter Snowfall.

However upon coming across the reservoir it came to my concern that theres footprints upon the outer banks of the water, luckily this has already been addressed and 2 police officers were at the scene when I was there. I cant stress the dangers of fresh-water ice in winter, especially when such bodies of water may seem walkable on but a mere 3 inches is all thats stopping a child from falling into sub-zero water and drowning.

Trying to claw your way out the ice wont help either as theres no grip and your body goes into automatic shut-down mode, you have to thrash like a seal would in order to propel yourself out the water. Unfortunately the human body isnt designed to do this in frozen water and unless someone else is in the vicinity who has a long rope (or scarf) to try and haul the person out the ice, there effectively doomed.

I hope anyone reading this with kids, or if your a child yourself reading this could warn others about the dangers. Just use common sense and lets remember this snow-event for the good times were all having, not a possible tragedy we could face.

lord cornflake  
#38 Posted : 07 January 2010 17:08:16(UTC)
lord cornflake

Weather watcher you finish by saying good times,you want to try working outside in it all day,then you wouldn't think it was so good..

High Peak Harry  
#39 Posted : 07 January 2010 17:35:08(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I would like to comment on the Council's correspondence regarding gritting etc. How is it, that whenever a Government dept. (be it local, or national) cock up, the public are on the wrong end of the equation and they trot out the latest buzz word or phrase such as "Lessons will be learnt". Please, save your platitudes and glib comments for your stupid congregations of likeminded beaurocrats, social workers, media types etc. How does lessons will be learnt help Gladys get out of her front door without going arse upwards? It's winter in the Peak District, what were they expecting, a mad rush for Ambre Solaire? God give me strength.
WeatherWatcher  
#40 Posted : 07 January 2010 17:36:32(UTC)
WeatherWatcher

Well us Brits moan when its too hot, or when its too cold.

As the Norwegians so elegantly put it "Theres no such thing as bad weather, just bad preperation."