logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fedup  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2010 23:41:00(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Ooh, ooh, ooh, Cllr Jon - while we are talking about the Park, have you any influence with the HPBC people in charge of Parks in your position as a Friend of the Memorial Park?

If so, could some of the lottery money be diverted into paying those two men who spend two weeks every autumn carefully raking up leaves from under trees to stop doing that and to spend one or two days in the worst of the winter weather in gritting the paths in the Park?

Does that sound sensible Cllr Jon, or am I talking rubbish again? You see, I cannot understand what harm leaves under trees are doing (on paths, yes, under trees, no), in fact I always thought that leaves under trees rotted down and provided much needed nutrition for the trees. But thick snow and ice on the paths - oh yes, much harm can be done, broken bones kind of harm.

So there you are.  I know I have gone off subject a bit, but do you know Cllr Jon, I don't care.

And while you are talking to HPBC, could you ask them if we could have some grit.......maybe a gritter or two.......or just a few grit boxes......please!

Edited by user 02 January 2010 23:45:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2010 04:44:44(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi Fedup,

It would be nice if just for once you could ask me to follow up the points you want followed up without the huge dollop of sarcasm and contempt you seem so happy to  throw in. Does it come as any surprise to you that if you talk to people in this way that the automatic response of many is to become as unresponsive as they can possibly be. If this is the way you approach life then perhaps this is why you are  'Fedup'. I have 'known' you on this forum for some time and we have had some good banter and fun and  I would have hoped you could have found a better way to express your frustrations.

Your points are:

1) you want the paths in the park gritted during winter

Answer - I will ask the question of HPBC, but I suspect the answer will be that it will be too expensive. I also suspect that that answer hides the fact that if HPBC grits the path and someone subsequently slips and falls, then HPBC will be liable. Welcome to the  litigation culture. I hate it as much as you. I will ask the question though and state my thoughts. There are particular sloped paths in the park however which would benefit from being gritted and I would be interested to know how HPBC approaches this problem in some of the other more 'important' parks such as in Buxton.

2) You want to know why the grit/salt boxes have not been filled.

Answer - You are not the only one who has been asking this. I have been told that some of the salt boxes have been empty for some time  as a result of a dispute between Derbyshire County Council(DCC) and High Peak Borough Council(HPBC).Unsurprisingly much of this comes to light only when the snow and ice becomes a problem, but someone tonight also told me that this was raised as a problem over a year ago on the old forum. I will raise it at the next town council meeting and try to get some feedback from HPBC or DCC as to why the grit boxes were not filled.

Happy New Year Fedup. Only a couple of hours ago I was contemplating the fact that your previous post about the horrible sculpture in the park was the first post I had agreed with you entirely in 2010. 

Cheers

Jon

Edited by user 03 January 2010 04:49:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
G. Jackson  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2010 09:14:49(UTC)
G. Jackson

Well said Jon !  Someone recently referred this forum to be similar to a group of people in a pub discussing things. In that situation there is always a serious one, a funny one , one who has no input and a gobby one. Usually if someone  is always sarcastic and complaining the rest move to a diferent pub to avoid him. You do a very good job and take a lot of stick on this forum and I will never give you hassle of any kind. I think you are very brave as you write under no alias as we do.

A very happy New Year to you and all at the council including the gritter men. I know that the people in WB would willingly treble their council tax so we could have more services, perhaps this should be this years proposal.

CllrJonG  
#4 Posted : 03 January 2010 10:40:31(UTC)
CllrJonG

Hi,

Thanks Mr Jackson, though I'm not so certain that your proposal to  treble the council tax  is going to go down very well with as many as you think !

Thinking about it, I think the situation with the grit bins is more complicated. Some of them are filled by DCC and/or HPBC, and some of them are 'owned' by groups of individual householders, and it is their responsibility to keep the grit bins filled. I'll try and get some more information on this.

Cheers

Jon.

nce  
#5 Posted : 03 January 2010 11:00:59(UTC)
nce

What's getting on my pip is that I was able to clear the whole street where I live. It took hours, but it's done. Yet, it is still impassable because I could not buy grit to put on it and the snow compacted by those vehicles that could move has turned to ice. Every local grit supplier has run out, and Chapel DIY tells me that their supplier have been prevented from selling privately because the councils have bagsied all the grit. So even if you have the will and the gumption to sort yourself and your neighbours out, you can't. In the pre-Christmas snow, when I was able to get grit, I was able to keep Cotton Close passable to all types of cars the whole time, and it upset me that i cannot do the same again simply because I cannot get grit.

The nearest grit bin to me is on the first corner of Eccles Road. It is smashed up and no-one has seen fit to replace it. I told DCC, HPBC and WBTC about this last year, but some labyrinthine arrangement between the various councils involved means that this bin will stay smashed and useless for ever more. I think that the remains have some dog poo and a coke can in them. The next nearest bin is a quarter of a mile away at the summit of Elnor Lane. It is empty.

I am not suggesting for a second that the councils in England are ill-prepared for snow, but I am suggesting that where preparations have been set out in the past, they are neglected now to the point whereby they are dysfunctional. I am not looking forward to calling my employer today to explain why i have to have yet another snow day when the major roads are basically open. My problem is the first 10 yards of my journey. It makes me look lazy.

N.

PS. As i write this I am amazed that the owner of a carpenter's van has parked it on the apex of the the corner of Eccles Road and Chapel Road, obviously to ensure he gets out. What he does not know is that we spent much of yesterday watching vehicles of all sizes coming down Eccles Road and being unable to stop. I do hope that his insurance covers a crash when he is illegally parked.
lord cornflake  
#6 Posted : 03 January 2010 13:30:43(UTC)
lord cornflake

I fell right om my arris yesterday in the park while walking the dog,it hurt.But I would'nt dream of claiming but only because I really could'nt be bothered.

nce  
#7 Posted : 03 January 2010 13:36:01(UTC)
nce

nce wrote:
The nearest grit bin to me is on the first corner of Eccles Road.

Newsflash! This bin has gone. This is perplexing. It would have been removed either by a resident tired of looking at shards of yellow plastic and dog poo, or it was removed by its owners (DCC) or by whichever Council maintains it (I have not the energy to work that one out).

In any case, the fact is that someone has noted the state of this bin, and, instead of having it replaced, has elected to go for the 'no bin' option.

N

Fedup  
#8 Posted : 03 January 2010 13:52:54(UTC)
Fedup

Oh dear Cllr Jon - bit of a tetchy mood today! Still, I notice that your response was posted very early this morning, so perhaps you got out of bed the wrong side - let's hope your temper improves as the day goes on!

Sarcasm? Contempt? Never.......why would I ever be sarcastic or contemptuous when dealing with Councils?

If you read my post again, you might just see that I was asking you to enquire at HPBC about gritting the Park - I never thought that you, or WBTC, were anything to do with gritting, so why do you think I was being sarcastic or contemptuous about you? You see Cllr Jon, the real problem is that I, like a lot of other people in Whaley Bridge, (except Mr Jackson), think that Whaley has not been looked after particularly well during the bad weather early in 2009 and now, and I would have thought that WBTC would have been jumping up and down and banging on HPBC's door trying to get a better service for the Whaley community.

Obviously I am wrong.

I should not have said anything.

I am a bad person, and will make a great effort to be obsequious and subservient to all members of WBTC during 2010.......maybe!

Have a good day Cllr Jon, and mind how you go!

Edited by user 03 January 2010 13:57:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG  
#9 Posted : 03 January 2010 15:23:14(UTC)
CllrJonG

Hi,

The situation is that WBTC have responsibility for filling 24 of the grit bins in the town.

In September 2009, WBTC authorized the refilling of the 24 grit bins prior to the winter period. This should have been done, and these grit bins should have been full of grit. Clearly, given the recent weather, some of these grit bins may now be empty.

There are more than 24 grit bins in total, and the others are the responsibility of DCC,HPBC as well as groups of local householders. I dont know if the ones that people are complaining about are WBTC grit bins or others.

It would be useful to identify which grit bins are now empty.

If you happen to go past one perhaps you can report back on whether they are empty or not along with the location.

1) Summit of Elnor Lane

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 03 January 2010 15:44:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#10 Posted : 03 January 2010 19:34:48(UTC)
Fedup

Empty one on Hockerley Close. 

(This has been reported to me by a friend who lives down there - I have not actually looked in the grit bin myself.  As you can see, I'm covering my back!)

Edited by user 03 January 2010 19:39:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Devious  
#11 Posted : 03 January 2010 21:41:26(UTC)
Devious

Empty bin  in Vaughan Road. Not known to have been filled this year. Not had a gritter yet during the recent bad weather.

Devious 

nce  
#12 Posted : 04 January 2010 10:30:07(UTC)
nce

This is funny. Tesco has run out of salt. Not just Saxa table salt and dishwasher salt - oh no. Tesco customers have been buying up delicate flakes of Cerebos sea salt flakes, normally used for seasoning a perfect jus or crisping pork to a fine crackle, and chucking it all over the street.
tyke  
#13 Posted : 04 January 2010 14:27:34(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I know it was a waste of time but I was passing Drinkwaters and enquired about salt........Suprise they have none! No Idea when the next delivery is due but it is ordered. It seems the councils are taking priority at the moment so there is probably little chance for the rest of us to have any.

nce  
#14 Posted : 04 January 2010 14:33:36(UTC)
nce

Tyke,

B&Q in Macc have changed their supplier to Tarmac and expect rock salt later this week. There is salt to be had, it depends on who the supplier is. Really, if we can get the Council bins filled and people don't get too greedy, then it will be a huge help. With these temperatures, rock salt is a must. It's just not possible to chip the ice off the side roads. I just hope we can get some down before the next fall (due tomorrow). I have my empty bags ready - just one bag will be enough to do most of my road and then the greatest problems are over.
tyke  
#15 Posted : 05 January 2010 08:01:57(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Somebody was on from HPBC yesterday asking people to clear the snow for elderly and infirm neighbours.... basicall for people to do their bit. She also said that you cannot be sued if somebody slips on your cleared pavement. so there you are get digging. Well what else will you do you cannot get to work with no buses and now cancelled trains!

Over the hill but not far away  
#16 Posted : 05 January 2010 08:32:41(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

Yes Mr Tyke

I will be a liitle more blunt-it's about time the young, midddle aged  and healthy got off their butts, put their wellies on and got shoveling-I personally think it demonstrates a disappointing lack of community spriit.  Oh we might get sued! - just how Julian Clary is that and what a cop out.  I wonder if the lads whos names are displayed in memorial park slept soundly, without turning to much last night.

I accept that the snow has compacted in the side roads but who compacted it in the first place--People need to get out shoveling as soon as the snow has settled... Just getting my own wellies on

Cheers

Edited by user 05 January 2010 09:39:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tyke  
#17 Posted : 05 January 2010 09:04:44(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

I'll get off the computer and make a start..... Well said Mr OTHBNFA "Oh I might get sued" is a poor excuse. These are exceptional times compared with a normal winter. WE SHOULD ALL DO OUR BIT if we can

Fedup  
#18 Posted : 05 January 2010 13:12:13(UTC)
Fedup

Hear, hear!!

I know when I moved to Whaley many years ago, the minute snow fell people came out with shovels and cleared pathways and drives, particularly at houses where elderly people lived. Now nobody does anything for themselves. Well, I'm afraid if people wait for the councils to clear their pavements and roads, they will be waiting a long, long time.

Edited by user 05 January 2010 13:12:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Bowker  
#19 Posted : 05 January 2010 13:36:01(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Drinkwaters had rock salt on Christmas Eve as I bought a couple of bags. there were still some left which must have gone quickly.  One of the guys there told me that they had sold over 40 tonnes in December. That is probably more than used over a normal Winter months period. Obviously this weather couldn't have happened at a worse time with Christmas shut downs etc. not allowing stocks to be replenished.

WeatherWatcher  
#20 Posted : 05 January 2010 14:40:36(UTC)
WeatherWatcher

It may have been 15 years ago that people helped each other out during times such as these. However economy times are now tough now, and families simply cant afford to be buying bags of salt everyday to put on their driveways and pavements. Especially when they feel they pay their Tax so that the Council should be doing that job for them, thats what they get paid to do and thats the service they should be offering.