logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CllrJonG  
#41 Posted : 07 January 2010 17:41:13(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

I heard reports of kids doing handstands on Brookfield pond on Tuesday night which I reported to the council on Wednesday, as WBTC are responsible for Brookfield pond. I went up today and found 4 kids on the ice. I have since put up notices warning people of thin ice and deep water, and have tied the gate shut with string as a temporary measure.

I have also heard that there are Facebook entries from children bragging about walking on the Ice on Toddbrook.

If anyone does see children on the ice, then please can they warn them of the danger and tell them to get off.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Fedup  
#42 Posted : 07 January 2010 19:55:59(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

High Peak Harry wrote:
I would like to comment on the Council's correspondence regarding gritting etc. How is it, that whenever a Government dept. (be it local, or national) cock up, the public are on the wrong end of the equation and they trot out the latest buzz word or phrase such as "Lessons will be learnt". Please, save your platitudes and glib comments for your stupid congregations of likeminded beaurocrats, social workers, media types etc. How does lessons will be learnt help Gladys get out of her front door without going arse upwards? It's winter in the Peak District, what were they expecting, a mad rush for Ambre Solaire? God give me strength.

I agree totally with you HPH,  but refrained from posting the same sentiments in case I was considered to be "sarcastic" and "contemptuous"

Your face must fit!

frjamie@talktalk.net  
#43 Posted : 07 January 2010 23:16:19(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Dear Jon,

It is good that others have taken notice concerning the Childrens safety.

I went for a walk last night to see what the Reservoir was like, as I have been rather snowed in, and have not  taken  the car out.

Last night I noticed that their was foot prints on the snow going over the Reservoir, now I know that they were not mine as I have not yet mastered the Art of Walking on Water, but  my  first thought were  did the person get out okay !

When I got back I sent an email to  Whaley bridge School for the staff to be aware, in  case it is Children.

I have also contacted  the Police,  and High Peak Radio, so that they too are aware.

It was only last year that I had to tell children to get off the Ice here at the bottom of the Hall  on the Pond, as they were jumping up and down,   as it  is rather deep.

However we were all young once and I am sure that we all remember the times when we too skated on the ponds and canals !!!!

Am I right in thinking that the emergency rescue devise is missing from the Reservoir ?

Jamie

Fr Jamie

Mikeann  
#44 Posted : 08 January 2010 22:10:06(UTC)
Mikeann

Have you seen the news report of the 2 kids who have died as a result of falling into a lake after walking on frozen ice in leicestershire. Kids beware - parents also

Horwich Ender  
#45 Posted : 09 January 2010 13:46:07(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi Mikeann.

I think I am correct in saying the people who died in Leicestershire were in fact adults and not children. The current weather conditions can be very dangerous and it is not just children who need to be responsible.

Take care all.

Horwich Ender  
#46 Posted : 09 January 2010 17:32:43(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I have today been to Toddbrook and was horrified to see the footprints on the reservoir. It is quite clear that some people still do not understand the dangers of walking on the ice.

CllrJonG needs to be commended on his action to shut the gate to the CPA pond and post notices stating the dangers of going on the ice. This is not only a sensible course of action but is potentially a lifesaving one.

CllrJonG requests that anyone seeing children on the ice to warn them of the danger and tell them to get off. I think the important point here is to ensure they understand the dangers involved because if they don't, after having been told to “get off, ” they will think you are spoilsport and as soon as you have vacated the area they will be back on the ice “having fun.”

Congratulations on your actions CllrJonG, this is an excellent example of a local councillor doing something which actually benefits the residents of our village.

frjamie@talktalk.net  
#47 Posted : 09 January 2010 19:58:39(UTC)

Toddbrook Reservoir

This week  I went for a walk, across to the Reservoir,  while  I was walking along the footpath -  I noticed footprints in the snow on top of the water. 

At first I wondered if the person had got out okay, and when I got back I then contacted the School to inform them that Children may be Ice Skating on the Reservoir.

I have also  informed the Police, and High Peak Radio.

We have all seen the dangers that this Weather has caused, and sadly some people don't  seem  to be bothered at the risks they put themselves at or others such as                  Emergency Services.

Today  I went for a walk across to the Reservoir to see if any children were on the Ice            not only were their children but adults too !

Their was one chap in his mid 40's with his young child taking the child across Todd Brook, while at the other side there was some 15 - 18 year olds skating.

I shouted over to the chap in his 40's and asked if  he realise how deep the Reservoir was,     for which he said yes !

So I thought  I would post a few pictures of todays visit to the Reservoir,                                      I have enclosed these pictures on a separate page.

One of the things I would like to say to parents without seeming to be a spoil sport remembering that we have all played on ponds and canals when we were younger is this.

Do You know where your Children are playing ?

Edited by user 09 January 2010 20:30:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frjamie@talktalk.net attached the following image(s):
007.JPG
015.JPG
008.JPG
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#48 Posted : 09 January 2010 20:42:48(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Horwich Ender wrote:

I have today been to Toddbrook and was horrified to see the footprints on the reservoir. It is quite clear that some people still do not understand the dangers of walking on the ice.

CllrJonG needs to be commended on his action to shut the gate to the CPA pond and post notices stating the dangers of going on the ice. This is not only a sensible course of action but is potentially a lifesaving one.

CllrJonG requests that anyone seeing children on the ice to warn them of the danger and tell them to get off. I think the important point here is to ensure they understand the dangers involved because if they don't, after having been told to “get off, ” they will think you are spoilsport and as soon as you have vacated the area they will be back on the ice “having fun.”

Congratulations on your actions CllrJonG, this is an excellent example of a local councillor doing something which actually benefits the residents of our village.

Good Evening HE,

From what I know of Cllr Jon, which is only from the pages of this forum and a few emails he has exchanged with me, I agree he is what Councillors should be.

Where are the others and why do they not follow his fine example?

King Jake was also brilliant in keeping us informed and making us laugh. As for the rest of them: well a bunch of shadows might describe them.

Don’t tell me they haven’t got the internet because they most certainly have apart from one Councillor I believe who prefers to live in the 50’s. Some use he is.

Why are they not on here? Because to put it bluntly they are useless and only go on the Council so they can be addressed as Councillor.

Come on you anonymous Councillors rise to this challenge and let’s see if you are made of the same stuff as Jon and Jake.

I won’t hold my breath.

R. S-S
frjamie@talktalk.net  
#49 Posted : 09 January 2010 20:47:43(UTC)

Now then R S S your Ice Skating boots are very sharp indeed !!!!!!!!
snoopy  
#50 Posted : 09 January 2010 22:36:42(UTC)
snoopy

I don't see any problem with these people going on the ice. Isn't it an example of Darwin's theory, the survival of the fittest or maybe inteligent. These idiots will not be missed, they are from the shallow end of the gene pool, (or in this case maybe deep end of the reser he he )

Don't worry, they know the risk unless they really are stupid, so if they are stupid then so be it.

All year we have people on this forum complaining about how idiots ruin their lives etc etc etc etc. Now is the time to sit back and lose a few, so we should be pleased.

Edited by user 09 January 2010 22:37:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Over the hill but not far away  
#51 Posted : 09 January 2010 23:11:09(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

So who is stupid and deserves to die?  those that:

Go to the moon in a contraption made of bacofoil with barely enough fuel to get home

Ride motorcycles

Have BBQ's on the frozen Thames in Mr Pepy's days

Paraglide above Mam Tor

Patrol Helmand province with a bit of Kevlar strapped to your chest ,the only thing between one  and ones maker

Walk home down the canal towpath after a night out in Buggy intoxicated.

Drive over Disley Tops this week,to get to John Lewis sales when the police are telling all to make no unecessary journeys........etc etc

Surely we have all once in our lives  skated on the thin ice of a new day

Cheers

Edited by user 10 January 2010 09:33:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

H  
#52 Posted : 10 January 2010 10:14:15(UTC)

well said othbnfa. I think snoopy is actually Margaret Thatcher in disguise. Anyone who thinks that people who do daft things in their lives deserve to die is by his very nature deserved of that prospect too. We, in theory, can do without such nasty malicious people in this world. yes, people do need to take the consequences for their actions. However, I would not wish serious harm on anyone no matter how stupid they are.

lord cornflake  
#53 Posted : 10 January 2010 13:08:47(UTC)
lord cornflake

I wonder which category Snoopy would put himself in,stupid or not stupid.If we find this out we can all decide whether to set up a noose outside the Jodrell.

WeatherWatcher  
#54 Posted : 10 January 2010 15:16:49(UTC)
WeatherWatcher

I dont think people comprehend the fact the Ice there skating on is only 2 inches thick at best. Its not a episode of "Ice Road Truckers" where you could haul a 10-tonne truck across Toddbrook Reservoir up to Kettleshulme.

What these people dont realise is not only are they risking their own lives, but if they did fall in, those around could also end up in trouble trying to get them out. I guess its just the times we live in now where people only think about themselves and not about the consequences if the unthinkable ever happened.

snoopy  
#55 Posted : 10 January 2010 17:26:17(UTC)
snoopy

To compare these idiots to the lads in Afganistan is a bit below the belt and I hope you retract it. And H for agreeing with you.

As WeatherWatcher says the problem is they invove other people and it would not be the first time that people have died helping such people. They must know the risks, it is mentioned everywhere. For an adult to take children on this ice is incredible, not sure what you can do with people like that, whatever you do would have an impact on their childen and it saddens me that there are such people.

CllrJonG  
#56 Posted : 10 January 2010 17:59:35(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi FrJamie,

Thankyou for posting these pictures.

I have contacted British Waterways by email, brought this to their attention, passed on the pictures and asked them to visit and erect some warning notices about thin ice and deep water.

I cannot believe people are so stupid. What is worse is adults leading their children onto the ice. This is not the heart of Canada, and the state and thickness of the ice is an unknown quantity. You may be lucky or you may not. How could they live with the consequences afterwards.

Please do NOT go on the ice.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
H  
#57 Posted : 10 January 2010 18:24:00(UTC)

well done thankyou Jon. Yes these people are stupid and irresponsible. However, for snoopy to say they would not be missed and are from the shallow end of the gene pool is exceptionally poor taste. I dont think their own families would feel the same. Would you also say that people who smoke also deserve to die as they know the risks too. Anyway enough said on that. Id just like to say a big thanks to all the emergency services in the area with a special mention to the Mountain Rescue services  who have been doing a tremendous job and they dont get paid

frjamie@talktalk.net  
#58 Posted : 10 January 2010 20:11:19(UTC)

Dear Cllr Jon,

Many thanks for your kind email,

I also see in todays paper a similar situation,  where a mother takes her child across a pond, ignoring the   "keep of the ice notice".

Perhaps the best thing for  Todd Brook is that the Sluice Gates are opened, this will then     crack the ice and lower the water.

I am told that work has to be done on the Reservoir this year, and so the                             water needs to be lowered anyway !

Many thanks once again for your email.

Fr Jamie

snoopy  
#59 Posted : 10 January 2010 23:29:42(UTC)
snoopy

H wrote:

well done thankyou Jon. Yes these people are stupid and irresponsible. However, for snoopy to say they would not be missed and are from the shallow end of the gene pool is exceptionally poor taste. I dont think their own families would feel the same. Would you also say that people who smoke also deserve to die as they know the risks too.

Smokers? Well yes I would, and they will. Ar least the tax helps the rest of us. People need shocking now to get the message over. Look at that what frjamie said

I also see in todays paper a similar situation,  where a mother takes her child across a pond, ignoring the   "keep of the ice notice".

How can you help these idiots? What is the point of putting notices out? Mind you a good percentage of the population cannot read, a fact ignored by many.

I see you ignored the comment about Afganistan, typical  Only keep the subject to your blinkered view eh?  

Dora Gibson  
#60 Posted : 12 January 2010 23:27:05(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Hello Weather Watcher,

I don't mean to put your back up but, in all of my life (and it's been a long one), the Council NEVER cleared the pavements or any of the minor roads. It was a case of local comradery to help one and other clear the pavements and roads. These were the days when folk helped each other out. I don't like the Councils or the Government most of the time, but I do appreciate that like 'betting' they can't always get it right. So we should get out of the (American) suing culture and take responsibility for ourselves and help each other. One of our local shopkeepers who has suffered with cancer, cleared a huge patch outside her shop front because she saw an elderly gentleman clinging onto a downspout because it was too slippy for him to walk. Now that's what being a human, compassionate being is all about, isn't it?

Take care, especially in the snow,

Yours,

Dora Gibson