logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<456
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#101 Posted : 08 July 2010 16:23:12(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Well tonight is the latest exciting instalment of our Council meetings. It’s gripping; I can’t wait.

Jon has very kindly published on another part of the forum the agenda for tonight and at long last we are going to have some discussion about a plaque to commemorate the Whaley train disaster.

So that is just one example of how this fine forum has been put to good use. There are many others.

I know that Jon is most probably behind this item appearing on that agenda but it must make you realise that the Whaley Eleven know all about what is going on here.
The fact that they fell so superior to all on here that they ignore it and all its topics is a matter for them. In my humble opinion they should hang their collective heads in shame.

I have really no idea why they should behave as they do.

Anyway for all those of you who have not attended a meeting of our Town Council I will post below a picture of one.
If I’m not mistaken I think I can just see a very young Jon Goldfinch on the first seat on the front table.

Maybe not.

R. S-S

Photo in the gallery please Well Known Norm.

Norm  
#102 Posted : 08 July 2010 17:18:17(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Photo in the gallery please Well Known Norm.

Tis done

Norm

Norm  
#103 Posted : 08 July 2010 17:19:36(UTC)
Norm

Man

probono wrote:

Norm wrote:

Hi

I have to admit I am envious of this site and is a great asset to Whaley, and that is why being a "foreigner" I have tried to help. For some reason there is no such site in New Mills. As I have stated before New Mills is like Jurassic Park. Dinosaurs surrounded by technology.

At the last New Mills town meeting where the town clerk and several councillors walked out the chairman Councillor Hawley was asked about

having a forum..He sais he could not see a problem and to put the suggestion  to the town clerk. Obviousl as the clerk had walked out the meeting was not minuted..Details of the meeting can be seen here..

http://highpeaktransparency.blogspot.com/

What I meant was even if New Mills had a Forum I still doubt if the residents would use it.

snoopy  
#104 Posted : 14 July 2010 07:32:12(UTC)
snoopy

The Haircut (apologises to the original writer)

One day a florist went to a barber for a haircut.

After the cut, he asked about his bill, and the barber replied, 'I cannot
accept money from you, I'm doing community service this week.'  The florist
was pleased and left the shop.

When the barber went to open his shop the next morning, there was a 'thank
you' card and a dozen roses waiting for him at his door.

Later, a cop comes in for a haircut, and when he tries to pay his bill, the
barber again replied, 'I cannot accept money from you, I'm doing community
service this week.' The cop was happy and left the shop.

The next morning when the barber went to open up, there was a 'thank you'
card and a dozen donuts waiting for him at his door.

Then one of the Whaley Eleven came in for a haircut, and when he went to pay
his bill, the barber again replied, 'I can not accept money from you.

I'm doing community service this week.' The councillor was very happy and left the
shop.

The next morning, when the barber went to open up, there were the rest of the Whaley Eleven lined up waiting for a free haircut.

And that, my friends, illustrates the fundamental difference between us and the Whaley Eleven.
Fedup  
#105 Posted : 14 July 2010 19:34:32(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Edited by user 14 July 2010 19:36:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#106 Posted : 20 July 2010 18:49:50(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I wonder if any of our councillors have looked under the bench in front of the Mechanics ?

parabuild attached the following image(s):
P1070012.jpg
P1070008.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#107 Posted : 01 January 2011 16:57:16(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

This post is addressed to Councillor Jon, the Whaley One, but replies and contributions are, as always, welcome from anyone.

Jon over the last few days we have seen contributions from you on numerous of the topics on here. In fact you have been the ‘topic starter’ on three threads. I would say that you contribute in some way to each and every thread.
On The Rookery Villas thread you even took it upon yourself to pay a visit to the properties and try to find something out about the history of the place. So it’s full marks to you on that score.
You constantly offer to put various people in touch with each other. I know that you have done this for me on several occasions.
You have helped me out tremendously with my problems with my computer and I shall be ever grateful to you for that. If it were not for you and your advice about ‘Irfanview’ I would not have been able to put one photo on to this forum.
I am sure you have not just singled me out for your kind help and I am also certain that you would help anyone else who needed advice and assistance.
You have gone out of your way to help and advise members on this forum at every opportunity.

Now the point is this you are one member of JGTC; there are eleven others who contribute nothing at all.
Now I am not a betting man at all but I wonder what the odds would be on that occurring anywhere else?
You are most certainly an honest man and answer what, sometimes may be uncomfortable questions asked of you. Horwich Ender puts you on the spot on many an occasion but you never duck the issue.
So what is wrong with ‘The Whaley Eleven’?
This has been going on for long enough now and I think we are now entitled to answers.

We may not like the answers we get but we need to hear what is wrong with them.

It may be simply that they do not want to be bothered with ordinary people. It may be that they think they are superior to the rest of us. It may be that they are not interested in anything that has been printed on here although I would find that hard to believe.
They certainly give the impression that they do not care one jot about anybody or anything on this forum.
I can not think of one thing that would elicit any sort of reply from any one of them.
I know that I contribute mainly to the historical side of the forum because I really have a passion for past events and lost buildings etc that were once a part of Whaley.
Shallcross came on and revealed much more information and photos that I have never seen before. It was great stuff to anyone with the slightest interest in Whaley. Is any one of the Whaley Eleven interested?

Well Known Norm, even though he says he is from New Mills, has created a wonderful historical web site dedicated to the history of Whaley Bridge.
Has any one of The Whaley Eleven even acknowledged any of his work? Not that we know of.

What is wrong with them Jon? Could you let us know on an individual Councillor basis?
Are they forbidden from contributing for instance? Are there any of them that are still unaware of the forum? If that is the case they are not fit to be a Councillor anyway.
We know you have told us that one Councillor does not have a computer. Well if this is true, in 2011, he is not fit to hold office in my opinion and he should be shown the door as soon as possible.

So Jon, it is over to you to let us have some answers as their reputations are quickly going down the pan as each day passes.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#108 Posted : 21 May 2011 13:39:56(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Reports in this week’s Buxton Advertiser have named Jon Goldfinch as the new leader of Jon Goldfinch Town Council.
Crowds gathered outside the Mechanics Institute to welcome the Town’s new leader as he emerged from the chamber.
(See photo below)

Councillor Jon, the Whaley One, spoke to the ever increasing body of admirers and announced some of his new policies and he assured everyone that he would be carrying out every detail contained within his manifesto.

The main 6 points within his new policies he wished to underline and were as follows:

1/. More funding would be given to the newly opened firing range at the Pleasure Grounds down Taxal and he expected more executions of forum abusers. He explained several previous abusers had ‘gone missing’ and now it was time to explain just what had happened to them.

2/. He had put in place legislation to shoot on sight any local people who allowed their dogs to foul in public places. To this end he had ordered a .44 Magnum to let people know he was not messing around any longer.

3/. The .44 Magnum would also be used to exterminate any cormorants or to that matter pelicans which might disturb his second favourite pastime of fishing. His first pleasure was obviously using the firing range, he said.

4/. All Councillors would have access to strong beer at the local Public Houses and he explained this was a requirement due to the stresses and strains of the job. But the electorate must read point 6 before questioning the expense of this new by-law.

5/. He was aware how popular his beer poems had been in the past and there would be poetry classes each night at the Mechanics and these classes would be compulsory to anyone found drinking after 12.00 midnight in any local pub.

6/. And finally his first and main task was to sack the members of The Whaley Eleven for gross incompetence, negligence and sleeping whilst on duty. Councillor smudging was also now a thing of the past he declared.

The speech was met with cheers and much waving of the National flags.

R. S-S

Fedup  
#109 Posted : 21 May 2011 20:35:17(UTC)
Fedup

Well, that's my goose well and truly cooked, seeing as I'm a dog owner, a cormorant lover and (according to Chairman Jon) a forum abuser!

Think I better get some body armour.

Edited by user 21 May 2011 20:36:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#110 Posted : 21 May 2011 23:36:00(UTC)
G. Jackson

It'll have to be thick to protect you from a .44 Magnum. Make my day Jon.

Fedup  
#111 Posted : 23 May 2011 13:39:22(UTC)
Fedup

G. Jackson wrote:

Make my day Jon.

Well thanks G.Jackson - good to know who your friends are!

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#112 Posted : 23 May 2011 15:48:57(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon, Fedup,

I too had noticed that uncalled for reply from Jackson but decided to let it pass in the hope that no one would notice it.
However, that is not now the case and I think you should at the very least ask Jackson for an explanation or apology for the remark.
It is that type of remark which threatens to bring the forum to its knees. That is if a forum does indeed have knees.
I shall follow your progress in this matter with a keen interest.

But back to Chairman Jon, the Whaley One: I think it is fair to say that Jon has not been entirely honest with his pre-election statements.
Surely in these credit crunching, cost cutting times everything is not as rosy as it might seem within the two chambers of the Mechanics Institute.

Jon works tirelessly for JGTC we all know that but he must be aware of the directive from Central Government to cut; and cut hard. In fact if any thing can be cut then cut it must be.
I think that is the true reason the Council have invested in a .44 Magnum for Jon.
Surely the severest cuts must effect the people and our new Leader might be about to go a little too far and decide to simply cut the population of Whaley Bridge somewhat.
If his cuts, which will I understand are to be carried out on the new firing range within the Pleasure Grounds, are drastic enough he could eventually return the Town of Whaley Bridge back to a village.
All the houses built within the last 30 years would be demolished and the land turned over to allotments. The rubble from the demolition of the houses would be piled high as barricades to prevent people from Chapel, New Mills and Kettleshulme from coming in and stealing our jobs.
The people who presently inhabit these houses will, of course, be dropped off over these new barricades as they will be deemed to be surplus to Jon’s requirements.
As I see it the only person to avoid serious action and misery will be the Chairman himself who must be eyeing a move from Buxton Road to Market Street where he will, suitably trimmed with ermine, enthrone himself in the Mechanics tower.

Troubled times ahead, Fedup it would seem.
So keep your head down and your body armour polished, oiled and, from what Jackson says, further reinforced.

R. S-S

Horwich Ender  
#113 Posted : 26 September 2013 16:19:31(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon.

Could there be a shift in power occurring in the merky corridors of the Mechanics Institute?

For many years the sole driving force of the Whaley Bridge Town Council and the man who gets things done has been Chairman Jon The Whaley One.

JonG (the councillor previously known as CllrJonG) has been responsible for all recent major improvements, projects and everything that's been positive in Whaley in the last few years. These include:

The opening of the Shallcross Incline.

A new Multi User Games Area.

Obtaining the Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £478,000 to improve the Memorial Park.

A revitalised Skate Park

A new BMX Pump Track.

However, there may be changes afoot.

Chairman Jon has been unusually quiet in recent weeks and he appears to have become embroiled in Prospective Councillor Barry Rudd's Red Telephone Box debacle.

Chairman Jon's retreat from publicity has coincided with one of the Whaley Eleven emerging into the limelight. Step forward Councillor John Swift.

Councillor Swift, who has previously remained in the shadows, has got his teeth well and truly into the War Memorial Madness and his photo has appeared on the front page of the Buxton Advertiser as well as him being quoted in the National Press.

Time will tell as to whether Councillor Swift will be the new JonG but if recent events are an indication of the future, we may well be hearing a lot more from the Mysterious Man from Madscar.

Horwich Ender  
#114 Posted : 14 October 2013 19:49:42(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Cllr Martin Thomas said:
he had had a talk with local resident Edwina Currie, the former national politician, who had suggested a public meeting to consider Whaley Bridge’s commemoration of the World War I centenary next year. The park work is due to be completed by May, 2014. The council voted to take up the suggestion.

It would appear Edwina Currie is now an adviser to Whaley Bridge Town Council.

Whaley Laner  
#115 Posted : 27 October 2013 13:22:58(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Horwich Ender Go to Quoted Post

Well done WBTC. If Edwina Currie is prepared to offer advice it would be silly not to take advantage of her knowledge and experience.
Horwich Ender  
#116 Posted : 07 April 2014 17:41:05(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Originally Posted by: Horwich Ender Go to Quoted Post

Cllr Martin Thomas said:
he had had a talk with local resident Edwina Currie, the former national politician, who had suggested a public meeting to consider Whaley Bridge’s commemoration of the World War I centenary next year. The park work is due to be completed by May, 2014. The council voted to take up the suggestion.

Good evening.

There is £20,000 available to community groups and town councils as funding for projects to commemorate the centenary of the First World War.

Lets hope Whaley Bridge Town Council, Fr Jamie at Whaley Hall and other local community groups are successful with their applications.

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/funding-for-projects-1-6543470