logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<23456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#61 Posted : 15 May 2010 14:03:27(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

On November 14th, 1923 Messrs John D Wood & Co held an auction on behalf of Jodrell Trust Estates of Yeardsley, Shallcross and Taxal, Whaley Bridge.

The auction comprised 75 lots, a total of 3,173 acres and included some fine properties; most notably Taxal Lodge, Shallcross Manor, the Royal Oak Hotel and Whaley Bridge Golf Course.

Also auctioned by The Jodrell Trust Estates that day were 26 dairy and mixed farms.

The auction took place at the Princes Cinema, Whaley Bridge at 2.00 pm.

Lot 51 was Madscar Farm. Below is the description of Madscar Farm taken from the auction catalogue.

I have checked on the JGTC web site and surprisingly Madscar Farm is in fact the residence of one of the Whaley Eleven. Is the pig cote still there? Does the Member use it?
Is the E.C a typing error and should it be W.C?

I wonder just how the property has changed in subsequent years. Unfortunately we will never know because as a member of the Whaley Eleven the Councillor will not come on here to tell us.
In fact I have been told that this individual Councillor has no internet access anyway and he does not even possess a television set. Unbelievable you might think for a local Politician.
We are supposed to be able to contact our representatives on the JGTC; how do we contact the Madscar Man? Smoke signals?

We know he is living behind the times so much so that the photograph of him displayed in the Shepherds Arms depicting him dressed as a Roman Soldier may be a little too close for comfort for this member of the Whaley Eleven.

Perhaps we shall hear from the Tribune at long last.

R. S-S

CllrJonG  
#62 Posted : 16 May 2010 15:27:02(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Cllr John Swift can be contacted by phone or by mail.  Details on the WB website.

You can also contact him via the town clerk if you so wish, or chat to him when you see him around.

The same is true of all councillors.

There is also an open forum at the start of every town council meeting when members of the public can come along and raise any issue they want .

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Norm  
#63 Posted : 16 May 2010 15:45:47(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Is the E.C a typing error and should it be W.C?

Hi

Because you are so knowledgable my dear R.S-S I never know if you know something or just joking, but is an EC a marvellous contraption as the picture below. 

This is an automatic one, others were a bit more simple.

Norm 

PS Can this picture please be left alone.

Edited by user 16 May 2010 15:49:11(UTC)  | Reason: Add the automatic bit.

Norm attached the following image(s):
earth-closet-1881.jpg
umtali  
#64 Posted : 16 May 2010 16:14:42(UTC)

Groups: Guest

PS Can this picture please be left alone.

Are you sure you would look good sitting on it, its no trouble.

umtali  
#65 Posted : 16 May 2010 16:22:35(UTC)

"Because you are so knowledgable my dear R.S-S"

Ask him what sycophant means.

Edited by user 16 May 2010 17:34:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG  
#66 Posted : 16 May 2010 18:01:27(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

I get an emails when people post, which as an administrator I try to look at.

It would be nice to see posts which are worth reading and which are bit more positive than some of the recent ones.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
High Peak Harry  
#67 Posted : 16 May 2010 19:37:43(UTC)
High Peak Harry

CllrJonG wrote:

Hi,

I get an emails when people post, which as an administrator I try to look at.

Cheers

Jon.

Either you are a master of irony given the title of the thread or you should stick to the poetry after a Sunday afternoon in The Shepherd's!

umtali  
#68 Posted : 20 May 2010 12:20:49(UTC)

Horwich Ender  
#69 Posted : 28 May 2010 17:09:53(UTC)
Horwich Ender

If the Buxton Advertiser is to be believed another member of the Whaley Eleven has just been appointed chairman of JGTC. I'm not sure whether the position of chairman carries any more authority than a normal councillor (other than having a larger expenses budget) but it will be interesting to see if we hear any more from Cllr Swift during his year in office than we have done previously.

There may be another year of low profile councilling ahead of us but do not fear residents of Whaley Bridge because also confirmed in the article was the appointment of the new vice chair. Yes it's Whaley's very own man of action CllrJonG. If past experience is anything to go by 2011/2012 when CllrJonG is in charge will be a period when things actually get done.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#70 Posted : 29 May 2010 12:58:39(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon HE,

Great research by you as always; I read the Advertiser this week and completely missed the article you refer to.

I think you are correct in your assessment of the situation and whilst we are lumbered with being led by a member of the Whaley Bridge Eleven, especially this particular one, we will see and hear nothing. So it will be a year of standing still for Whaley Bridge and the JGTC will remain the shadowy, silent club it now is for another year.

But as you say, and if it is true, we have the workaholic JonG on the bench and he’s coming on in just one year’s time. Personally I can’t wait.

If Jon can just put behind him some of his more sinister pastimes such as Cormorant baiting and wandering around the Park with his sawn-off then we are in for some real local government.

I don’t think Jon will be interested in any coalition politics at the Mechanics. No I see him more as a Winston Churchill figure, leading from the front, and I can also see the crossing of swords with Cllr Leather in her Lady Astor role.

Yes I think Jon will be already working on some secret projects: a Youth Club, a Cinema, a leisure centre with an Olympic size swimming pool, better shopping, better parking, strict law and order which will be his pet project, free prescriptions, cheap beer and of course a Poet’s Corner reserved late night Saturdays for off the cuff Beer Poems.

Exciting times indeed.

R. S-S
G. Jackson  
#71 Posted : 29 May 2010 14:26:07(UTC)
G. Jackson

R. S-S writes... " reminds me of Winston Churchill, leading from the front"...  Exactly which Winston Churchill was this? Not the fat old cigar booze swilling drunk in the 1940s. No it can't be him, the nearest he ever got to the front was his front room approximately 1000 miles away from our gunfire.

Edited by user 29 May 2010 14:27:42(UTC)  | Reason: punct mistake

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#72 Posted : 29 May 2010 14:47:52(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

If you care to read my post again carefully and properly you may note I was referring to Local Government not international warfare.

I was likening the respective characters of Jon to Winston and Linda to Lady Nancy Astor and the verbal tussles they had in Westminster to the ones I envisage in The Mechanics behind closed doors in a year’s time.

Here are 2 such examples:

Lady Astor:
"Sir, you're drunk!"
Winston Churchill:
"Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning, I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

Lady Astor:
"Winston, if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee."
Winston:
"Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."

I did not for one moment imply that Jon would be directing operations in Iraq, Afghanistan or anywhere else for that matter from The Mechanics Institute.

Regular forum readers must judge your distasteful reply in their own way.

You really are a rascal some times, Glenda.

R. S-S
Horwich Ender  
#73 Posted : 29 May 2010 14:58:34(UTC)
Horwich Ender

What's going on here?

R. S-S quite rightly compares CllrJonG to one of this country's greatest ever leaders and then Jacko states he's a fat, old, cigar smoking, booze swilling drunk.

Now I know CllrJonG is not as young as he used to be, has put on a few too many pounds, definitely over does it on the intake of alcohol, but I've never seen him smoking a cigar.

G. Jackson  
#74 Posted : 29 May 2010 18:49:28(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear R. S-S , if you must use quotes please get them right. It was Bessie Braddock that said to WC "You're disgustingly drunk....etc.   etc.

Fedup  
#75 Posted : 29 May 2010 20:13:44(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Horwich Ender wrote:

Yes it's Whaley's very own man of action CllrJonG. If past experience is anything to go by 2011/2012 when CllrJonG is in charge will be a period when things actually get done.

Oh, please!  The words "breath", "hold", "your" and "don't" spring to mind!

No, no, not  specifically in that order!

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#76 Posted : 13 June 2010 10:54:27(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I can’t believe this but if my eyes are not deceiving me and it is mid morning but look at this:

It’s the old Bennett Jackson lorry of Whaley Bridge and it appears to have been given an MOT and put back into service for the upcoming carnival.

And just who is that lot on the back? Surely not The Whaley Eleven? Oh I know that there are only 10 but there is usually at least one missing from their little get togethers.
It would have been perfect if there were a full compliment but you can’t have everything.

Still it’s the thought that counts.

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#77 Posted : 13 June 2010 13:32:08(UTC)
Gnatalee

Good afternoon R.S-S

A cracking picture, once again !!

I believe I can add a name to the gentleman standing by the car (in the middle) - he is Jack Winterbottom, from Macclesfield Road (born in Bugsworth) who drove wagons for Bennett and Jacksons. It is fairly early because I never remember him when he had a full head of hair ! He's sporting a rather natty line in footwear, don't you think?

Thank you !

Gnats

Edited by user 13 June 2010 13:33:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#78 Posted : 13 June 2010 13:51:18(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Gnatalee,

Yes fine footwear indeed.

Something I am very fond of myself but for some reason today I am wearing an old pair of sandals; I shall go and bin them as soon as I have finished this reply.

Jack Winterbottom eh? From Bugsworth and from there to Macclesfield Road eh?

Then very possibly a close relation of yours maybe?

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#79 Posted : 13 June 2010 17:48:18(UTC)
Gnatalee

R.S-S

Are you pretending to be Sherlock Holmes? Have you got your magnifying glass out?

Keep posting - I am always appreciative of a good photo and hope your investigations continue successfully !! 

Gnats

Edited by user 13 June 2010 17:49:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#80 Posted : 26 June 2010 08:15:34(UTC)
G. Jackson

I went to the WB Water Weekend for the first time (sorry) and would like to thank Barry Rudd for his wonderful weekend. The meercats did it for me, I want one now. I wonder how many people were ticketed by the men in green on Canal Street who were loving it as I left. The amazing thing is that I met an old friend who is a member of the WB 11. I asked him if he liked his photo on the forum ( I had not better say what he was dressed as in the photo to give him some privacy). He replied that he didn't even know about the forum! If the other 9 , excluding Jon, are as well informed, this could be the reason for no responses on here.

P.S. I've just tried to find the photos and failed, were they under "Why Whaley Golf Club Closed"? I thought they were very good at the time of posting.Why have they gone?

Edited by user 26 June 2010 08:27:01(UTC)  | Reason: spelin miztaque