logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2010 19:09:23(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

This forum has become a real asset to Whaley Bridge and many thanks must go to TrustedIT and all the volunteers who make it possible.

It is used by people from all walks of life and differing ages, I would think anyway.

We can find out about new shops opening, pubs closing down, incidents, awful neighbours, history, shared photos and just about anything that concerns this fair Town.

Just now we are suffering from the worst weather since the last worst weather and people are highlighting kind, charitable and philanthropic deeds done by the good people of Whaley, others are giving out traffic and weather reports. Some are even going out and checking which roads are open or what state they are in before we venture out. They are a credit to themselves and the Town.

Yes it is truly a brilliant forum; and everyone who contributes to whatever degree is extremely valued.

But. Yes there is a but. And it’s a big but.
Eleven people do not contribute sadly and rather strangely and quite coincidentally they all have one thing in common.
Yes they are your very own Town Councillors.
Stand up and take a bow ladies and gentlemen.

What is wrong with them? Can’t they read? Do they think this forum is beneath them? Are they afraid that their written word may expose them as semi literates? Are they unable to debate beyond the confines of The Mechanics. Do they need to be sitting upon an Oak chair? Well whatever it is they are never visible on here: one of the best forms of communication in Town. Is there a policy that they must not get involved with people via the forum? Are they stupid in fact these shadowy figures?

It is no use saying that en-masse they do not read the forum because I don’t believe it; and if they don’t they damn well ought to.

OK we have been told one particular Councillor does not have internet access or indeed a TV set.
Well if he wants to live in the 1940/50’s that’s his business but not much use as a politician in 2010 I would have thought.

Jake showed the way and Jon has taken the baton from him.
We know what Jon has been doing, apart from having a go at Fedup; he has been checking up on anything asked of him. He has been trying to make kids aware of the dangers of iced over ponds; he has been to lock the gate at Brookfield Pond.
Praise be to Jon.

What are the rest of them doing?

No, I don’t know either.

Doesn’t any one of the Whaley Eleven want to converse with any one of us? If only to tell us the snowplough is out or watch out for your elderly neighbours. It does not seem so.

I see that the proposals for bridge 42 appear to have fallen through. Good.
We have 3 of our Councillors who are also HPBC members, one a member of the Development Control Committee; have we heard anything about it from them? No! Of course not.

They may as well not exist as far as we are concerned. And we may as well not exist as far as they are concerned.
Toy Town Politicians to a man.

But let anything affect their life and you will see that if strings need to be pulled then pulled they will be; and pulled mighty hard. Forget about all that nonsense of Declarations of Interest.

Reading the Town Council minutes for November Cllr Lomax’s apparently only contribution was this:

“Cllr Lomax reported that access only roads, Old Road and Bings Road, were being abused and requested police monitoring.”

Oh really.
Just how he knows that they are being abused I have no idea.
I wonder where he lives then??
Ah ah, Bings Road eh? Hmm.
Still wouldn’t do to disturb the good Councillor’s sleep I suppose.
Yes call out the Constabulary.

So look after yourselves, fine fellow forum friends and anybody else who needs your help but don’t think our Councillors will offer anything in way of support.

They won’t. Not via this splendid forum anyway.

We won’t even hear from any of them apart from Jon.

Maybe we will now.

R. S-S

Wait for it, Fedup.

High Peak Harry  
#2 Posted : 11 January 2010 19:37:38(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Well, you do appear to be upset Mr. Smythe, but not as upset as one or two of the Whaley Eleven will no doubt be. I can see it now, headline in the Buxton Advertiser ' Justice for the Whaley Eleven'. I do hope you sleep with one eye open and a shotgun to hand (not for cormorants either). Ah well, it's been nice knowing you, whoever you were.
Fedup  
#3 Posted : 11 January 2010 19:50:19(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Welcome to my world R.S-S.

I wonder if all Town Councils are like ours?

I agree that only one Councillor seems to speak via this Forum, although I have to say that his motives are a bit suspect to me - bit OTT on the power thing maybe?? (Oh dear - I'm for the chop now!). But then again, I don't think Cllr JonG and I will ever see eye to eye, so it could just be a personality clash.

The other Councillors should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. BUT...... we come back to the same thing. They will be there for ever if nobody stands against them.

I would recommend that everyone of you attends a Town Council meeting and watches these chosen few in action.

I warn you, it's not a pretty sight.

Good on you R.S-S. I support you all the way.

Edited by user 11 January 2010 19:51:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#4 Posted : 11 January 2010 20:38:45(UTC)
Fedup

Do you know R.S-S, I think you have stunned all the other Forum members into complete silence!!!!

Can I also just add that this was what I was trying to get across in the post which was so severely castigated by CllrJon - our Town Council should be standing on the tables shouting and waving, banging on the doors of HPBC and DCC, insisting on the very best for us, because that is what they are there for - to work for the people of Whaley Bridge.  Not to sit huddled away in the Mechanics, droning on about  the "abuse" of Old Road and Bings Road.  How long is it since we asked about an extra half an hour parking on Canal Street?  Which Councillor is chasing that up for us?  And if one of them is, why are we not being told about it?

And yes, I'm going to ask again - why can HPBC afford to pay two men to spend two weeks every year collecting leaves from under the trees in the Park (futile and pathetic), but not to come and put a bit of grit down on the Park paths in the winter?  Why isn't a Councillor banging on about that to HPBC?  And if one is, why are we not told about it?

Come on Councillors  -  talk to us, connect with us, include us.  And most importantly, work FOR us! 

Edited by user 11 January 2010 21:05:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snoopy  
#5 Posted : 11 January 2010 21:54:39(UTC)
snoopy

In answer to you question Can your Councillor read and write?  Well I suppose the answer is another question. "What's in it for them?"

frjamie@talktalk.net  
#6 Posted : 11 January 2010 23:16:20(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Dear R S S 

Hope you have managed to calm down and have a double whisky !

From what you have had to say, when you were hot and bothered, you have started the snow and ice to melt !!!!!

Anyway I thought I would let you know that today I have rang the Mayor of the High Peak and also Cllr B Taylor to see if the gritting lorry can come to Whaley Bridge.

Some parts of Whaley Bridge have not seen any gritt and reservoir rd is rather slippy.

On  Sat  I was rather concerned about the OAP Bungalows, and it does not help  with having now lighting outside for them.

It is times like these that people should pull together, and support each other.

We see on the News this evening about the poor couple who have died in their house,         such a shame in 2010 that this still goes on.

Anyway R S S keep up the good work and flying the flag, have you ever thought of being on the Council I am sure you would make all the difference !!!!

Town Clerk  
#7 Posted : 12 January 2010 13:02:43(UTC)
Town Clerk

Please note that all councillors can be contacted directly via whaleybridgetowncouncil@supanet.com.  All questions and complaints will be considered and answered.  The views of one councillor may not be the view held by Whaley Bridge Town Council as a corporate body.

Fedup  
#8 Posted : 12 January 2010 13:21:03(UTC)
Fedup

I'm totally speechless!

Edited by user 12 January 2010 13:21:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Horwich Ender  
#9 Posted : 12 January 2010 21:18:43(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good Evening R. S-S

You make some very interesting points. However, there are two sides to every story and everyone deserves the right to reply.

No doubt by now CllrJonG will have informed his council colleagues of your posting and I await their responses before commenting further.

I'm not sure what to make of the comments made by the Town Clerk as they do not tell us anything new and do not appear relevant to this topic.

snoopy  
#10 Posted : 12 January 2010 22:34:43(UTC)
snoopy

Horwich Ender wrote:

I'm not sure what to make of the comments made by the Town Clerk as they do not tell us anything new and do not appear relevant to this topic.

The "Town Clerk" has been a member for nearly a year, and this is his/her fantastic second post. May I congratulate him/her on being a active member on this message board and thank him/her for all the time and effort spent making this place an asset to Whaley.

Well done "Town Clerk", how could we have survived without you. 

Dora Gibson  
#11 Posted : 12 January 2010 22:56:49(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Dear R. Stephenson-Smythe,

Most of us are behind you, but what good it will do, who knows?

Councillors remind me of school committees - lots of hot air, egostitical opinions and very little common sense! You then get to the end of the evening and think, 'Crikey, my time would have been better served having a pint in our local.' Don't get me wrong, I know some exceptional councillors and teachers come to think of it, but in general, my oh my, what a pathetic bunch we have running our councils and our country.

The wonderful thing about our town and this forum is that with our comments we can certainly bring some weight to bear upon the powers that be through OUR WORD! The important thing is for us all to become a community and to look out and be concerned about each other.

It makes me sad when I see folk throwing cigarette ends and various litter onto the roads/pavements treating them as though the environment is not a part of their life. In fact, I remember being in the car with Gibson and I saw a man come out of his house, pick up a drinks can from his path and then throw it out and onto the pavement in front of his house and I thought............................. 'Wow, is this what some of us have come to?'

So I personally think that we ALL need to keep nagging at our councillors and air our thoughts on this forum so that it can be seen by all and sundry whether what WE the PEOPLE think, has any bearing on what the Councillors do. What still sticks with me is the incredible, powerful vison of all those people who marched in London who were against the war in Iraq - grandchildren perched on the shoulders of their grandparents and including the masses of varied ages and races - all so clearly against the war and what happend - THE GOVERNMENT COMPLETELY IGNORED THE PEOPLE! Need I say more? However, where we can make more of a difference is with our local councils because we vote for these people.

I might be old, but I certainly wasn't born yesterday. I also appreciate Cllr Jon's comments and indeed his sense of humour.

So again, R. S-S many thanks for bringing this topic into play.

Yours sincerely,

A more serious Dora Gibson

Edited by user 12 January 2010 23:01:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Horwich Ender  
#12 Posted : 14 January 2010 17:30:27(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

It is somewhat surprising that we have not yet received a response from our councillors to the comments made in the posting by R S-S on 11th January.

I do not believe the “silent” councillors would deliberately choose to ignore the comments and can only assume that they are unaware of them.

I understand there is a Town Council meeting this evening when I hope CllrJonG or the Town Clerk will inform the councillors of the comments made allowing them to reply in due course.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#13 Posted : 16 January 2010 17:49:53(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Horwich Ender,

I agree, of course, but there are two sides to every coin so I also wait to see if there is any reaction following Cllr Jon’s reporting of this forum topic to his colleagues but in the meantime let us weigh the evidence before us so far:

From the Whaley Eleven there has been a few posts from JohnP alone as far as I can recall and they simply give out dates etc so they can be dismissed as information only but generally uninteresting contributions.

Was the Town Clerk’s last sentence of her strange message on here some sort of a veiled instruction to Cllr Jon to keep off here?
Indeed is there a directive that Councillors must not take part?

Some very important issues have been highlighted on here and have we had any input whatsoever from our Councillors? NO.

They are there to represent and serve us. Do they? Well judge for yourselves.

We recently had a topic on the historical side of the forum that produced a photo of a fountain in Horwich End. As far as I know nobody knew of this lost structure; it is the only photo that has ever been seen of this fountain. It is a very important part of the village history and it has uncovered a lot of further important facts.
Did it interest any one of the Whaley Eleven? The answer must again be NO.

Are any of the Whaley Eleven even interested in the history of this village? Again it looks like the answer is once again NO.

Has any one of the Eleven even asked a question about Whaley’s history? NO.

Let’s take things on a little bit, to fantasy land in fact. Let’s imagine our Councillors learned that a weapon of mass destruction was about to be launched from an imaginary Middle Eastern country and would land on Whaley in about 45 minutes do you think any one of them would come on here and advise us to hide under the stairs. NO.
But they would be in their bunker deep below the Mechanics Institute.

Seriously they read the forum and discuss it without doubt; we know that for certain because they have posts removed when it suits them; and I’m not talking about Jon here.

Now then, not holding my breath for any sort of response from any of them; they’ve had enough time anyway; I would ask you the question HE and all other forum members, as I know you all to be fair:
Do you think the Whaley Eleven think they are above this forum and all the people that use it or are they not interested in anything but their own self importance?

R. S-S

Edited by moderator 18 January 2010 00:05:15(UTC)  | Reason: comments inappropriate and insensitive

Fedup  
#14 Posted : 16 January 2010 19:19:47(UTC)
Fedup

As usual R.S-S an excellent post, and the answers to your questions are that yes, they do think they are above not only this forum but also the good people of Whaley as a whole, and no, they are not interested in much except their own self importance.

This is becoming more and more evident.

Edited by user 16 January 2010 19:20:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snoopy  
#15 Posted : 16 January 2010 23:35:40(UTC)
snoopy

It is well known that many members of this site hide behind names and are not who they say they are. Many people have more than one registered "character".

So, I am sorry to say, why should anyone take this site seriously. It is edited a lot and many "members" are just a bunch of liars.

Sorry if the truth hurts, let someone throw the first stone.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#16 Posted : 17 January 2010 10:20:05(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Would you care to elaborate on that “Mr Snoopy”?

In particular who do you know that is using “more than one registered "character"?

And of more concern: just who are you including in your “bunch of liars” and could you point out any lies that have appeared on here.

I would be grateful for your early co-operation.

R. S-S
Over the hill but not far away  
#17 Posted : 17 January 2010 11:29:06(UTC)
Over the hill but not far away

Hear Hear!

H  
#18 Posted : 17 January 2010 14:04:22(UTC)

maybe Snoopy is one of the alter egos too and hes trying to throw us off the scent - his particular alter ego personae must be Mr Nasty.

frjamie@talktalk.net  
#19 Posted : 17 January 2010 18:32:25(UTC)

snoopy wrote:

It is well known that many members of this site hide behind names and are not who they say they are. Many people have more than one registered "character".

So, I am sorry to say, why should anyone take this site seriously. It is edited a lot and many "members" are just a bunch of liars.

Sorry if the truth hurts, let someone throw the first stone.

Dear Mr Snoopy,

Hope you are well and I am sorry to hear that you feel  -

You can not take this site seriously.   

I am also sorry to hear that you feel that people hide behind names and not say who they are, and that many members are just a bunch of liars.

I however feel very much that over the last two weeks people on this site have shown -         true support to each other due to the weather, and have shown care in helping each other, something that does not happen enought in todays generation.

On the 5th October 2009 at 22.51pm you said the second part of Dora's contribution is off topic, can mods please split the post and start a new tread or remove it.  ( Your Words Mr Snoopy ).

So perhaps Mr Snooopy, you should perhaps think at what you have said before you start throwing the first stone.

Rememering that we can all  be carless of this.

This website is seen by lots of people who don't  always live in Whaley Bridge, but are perhaps looking at starting a business here, or moving here.

( Not forgetting that some of our younger generation see this Web Site in  their Schools ).

Do you think it is good for people to see a Web Site  of people having a go at each other ?

I hope Mr Snoopy that in the future when you write on here you can see the good in people and not always the worse !

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you have a good week.

Every Blessing

Fr Jamie

Whaley Hall

snoopy  
#20 Posted : 17 January 2010 19:09:49(UTC)
snoopy

frjamie@talktalk.net wrote:

On the 5th October 2009 at 22.51pm you said the second part of Dora's contribution is off topic, can mods please split the post and start a new tread or remove it.  ( Your Words Mr Snoopy ).

What has that got to do with it. That was just pointing out simple forum/message board common sense and precedure. Please explain.