logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages«<45678>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
buggyite  
#101 Posted : 01 August 2010 19:04:51(UTC)
buggyite

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Thanks** - you've made a very good job of improving that photo, far better than I managed.

I was sure there was an uninvited occupant in it when I looked earlier, but I maybe have been mistaken . It looks better as it is anyway.

Now, Mr R S-S, do you reckon that the lurry parked to the side is the 1-ton Ford mentioned in the sale records? I am fairly sure its not the same one as the Coward's one parked outside the White Horse in your photograph.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
umtali  
#102 Posted : 01 August 2010 19:57:11(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Yes I decided to send him packing, there is also something on the back seat not sure what it is, perhaps damage, it can be removed?
umtali attached the following image(s):
back.jpg
Norm  
#103 Posted : 01 August 2010 20:07:31(UTC)
Norm

Man

Making photos darker etc is one thing, but removing stuff is really changing the past. Such as notices in the Mechanics Institute windows, and litter etc. The past is what it is.

I think photos should be just "enhanced" and left alone. It may not be a fault, it makes no difference anyway, best leave things alone.

umtali  
#104 Posted : 01 August 2010 20:29:02(UTC)

Norm wrote:

I think photos should be just "enhanced" and left alone.

It has to be one or the other Norm.

Norm  
#105 Posted : 01 August 2010 22:24:40(UTC)
Norm

Man

A person of your experience should know the difference.

By "enhanced" I mean changing the contrast, brightess and gamma. Not removing parts of the images and adding your bits. Show some common sense here, for once.

This is a History site, removing parts of photographs and adding other bits from another time should not be done. As I said, for an example you removed posters from the Mechanics Institutes windows, why?

buggyite  
#106 Posted : 01 August 2010 22:28:07(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Well-known Norm,

To be fair to**,  the thing he did remove was a modern-day character, that he'd put in himself, I don't think that version was there for long, before he reverted back to the straightforward contrast-enhanced version.

Maybe I was just making mischief in mentioning it!

Edited by user 01 August 2010 22:28:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
Norm  
#107 Posted : 01 August 2010 22:35:19(UTC)
Norm

Man

buggyite wrote:

Well-known Norm,

To be fair to**,  the thing he did remove was a modern-day character, that he'd put in himself, I don't think that version was there for long, before he reverted back to the straightforward contrast-enhanced version.

Maybe I was just making mischief in mentioning it!

No I don't mean that, that is just his usual childish stuff, he has a relationship with Rodney that is best not mentioned.

He has "massaged" other pictures by removing items. He wanted to alter the photo above by changing it, just because there is a patch of white in the back. I am sorry as I said it's a History site, is it not easy to leave pictures as they are? Let's wait for the answer about the Mechanics Institute.

Norm  
#108 Posted : 01 August 2010 22:49:27(UTC)
Norm

Man

Now for another slant.

If you look carefully round the white bit in the back of the car I would say it's a face. There was obviously a body in the back of the car that the person who saw the photograph did not want to be recognised. The seat was not empty that is for sure. Either the person was asleep or maybe even d**d!!

Don't change history

buggyite  
#109 Posted : 01 August 2010 23:15:58(UTC)
buggyite

Man

It may have been one of the B*nn*tts from Maynestone Road, Chinley who'd gone to do some surreptitious measuring up of the gateposts,ready for a midnight raid on them, but spotting a cameraman, decided to duck under a white cloth to avoid recognition, and to prevent, many years later, a conclusive solution being found to the mystery of the gateposts' ultimate fate!

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
Norm  
#110 Posted : 01 August 2010 23:58:10(UTC)
Norm

Man

Nice one Buggyite

Nice post but some neck oil I reckon.

Just look at the original photo and tell me there is not a person in the back. The rest of the photo is near perfect so I doubt it was a fault. One for "New Tricks" I think.  (Don't take too seriously) 

umtali  
#111 Posted : 02 August 2010 07:11:32(UTC)

Too many late nights Norm cutting and pasting, it’s making you aggressive again, then when I respond I become the villain. Not going to take the bait Norm.
Incidentally your recent pasting into my original website work is not good, far too much on one line. If I get time later I will give you a leader.

umtali  
#112 Posted : 02 August 2010 08:07:43(UTC)

norm.jpg
snoopy  
#113 Posted : 02 August 2010 08:10:28(UTC)
snoopy

I think there is a body in the back of the car! It does look like someoe did not want to be seen. If it is not a head then we need other ideas, there may be many but I do like the body one. Suppose it's a bit late to start an investigation.

Back to the gates. There is a sort of ridge below the top of the stone work that appears on all the photographs except the Errwood entrance. I would say the Errwood gates have gone, and will never be found again, which is a shame. Also all the other gates have exactly the same style of stones.  

umtali  
#114 Posted : 02 August 2010 09:10:11(UTC)

I remember during WW2 lots of iron gates and railings were removed for the war effort, the only ones not taken were if perhaps there was a danger of someone falling down a hole etc.

Norm  
#115 Posted : 02 August 2010 18:03:23(UTC)
Norm

Man

umtali wrote:

Too many late nights Norm cutting and pasting, it’s making you aggressive again, then when I respond I become the villain. Not going to take the bait Norm.
Incidentally your recent pasting into my original website work is not good, far too much on one line. If I get time later I will give you a leader.

Yes I know about that, you emailed me about it, don't you remember. I have not got round to changing it yet, so don't worry.

umtali  
#116 Posted : 02 August 2010 19:01:09(UTC)

Don't remember a response.
update.jpg
umtali  
#117 Posted : 03 August 2010 12:59:40(UTC)

Sorry Norm – Same problem Cat & Fiddle page.
Only just noticed.
Norm  
#118 Posted : 03 August 2010 18:36:28(UTC)
Norm

Man

umtali wrote:

Sorry Norm – Same problem Cat & Fiddle page.
Only just noticed.

That one I am not bothering with, unless it takes a long time for R.S-S to supply more stuff. I just threw it together, so I will wait a bit on that one.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#119 Posted : 03 August 2010 21:21:51(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hang on a second, Norm,

I’m a bit busy on the Murder Stone at the moment.

After that I am going to do a piece on Whaley’s very own doctor: Doctor Allan. This has been especially requested by Fedup and as he is such a good stick I can’t let him down.

After that I am going to conclude the Powder Mills; we have not heard from Jaynie but she did say she would be grateful for any information and as it is all in the public domain  I don’t think there will be any objections.

Then it’s on to the building of Fernilee Reservoir; this is such a large topic that I may have to seek guidance from Cllr Jon as to how I should go about it.

Anyway that is for the future and there’s plenty more stuff to look at.

By the way does anybody know what has happened to Horwich Ender and Rock Banker? I am missing both of them.

And I will shortly have some investigation work for our resident detective Gnatalee to sort out.

R. S-S
Norm  
#120 Posted : 03 August 2010 22:11:20(UTC)
Norm

Man

Come on old R.S-S I think you are not up to speed here.