logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages«<56789>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
snoopy  
#121 Posted : 04 August 2010 07:47:28(UTC)
snoopy

Groups: Member

Norm wrote:

is a History site, removing parts of photographs and adding other bits from another time should not be done. As I said, for an example you removed posters from the Mechanics Institutes windows, why?

It is only a simple question. Don't get umpty**, don't pretend you are a villain, no silly pictures. Why you cannot answer such a question is beyond me.

I think Norm was concerned you were about to "doctor" the photograph and remove the "body" from the car. Is that such an evil request?

Yes, where is H E? It is August though, he may be on a lovely warm beach somewhere, not in wet Whaley. 

Edited by user 04 August 2010 07:54:02(UTC)  | Reason: Errors in spelling etc etc

umtali  
#122 Posted : 04 August 2010 08:50:24(UTC)

Groups: Guest

The picture is about children on a special day for them.

Look at the un-retouched picture; what is the first thing that grabs your attention. (Well to me) – Two white blobs on the right.

Look at the new version – What do you see – Lots of kids looking great.

If you are interested in unreadable white blobs then the picture has lost something, perhaps the damage should also remain, that is also part of history.

Nothing sinister intended just a keen sense of picture quality.
But people like “Well Known do make me wonder is it worth the time”.
umtali attached the following image(s):
RQA.jpg
RQB.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#123 Posted : 04 August 2010 09:19:54(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

umtali wrote:

But people like “Well Known do make me wonder is it worth the time”.

No it’s not worth the time.

Goodbye.

R. S-S
umtali  
#124 Posted : 04 August 2010 11:42:05(UTC)

Told you what happens if I respond Norm & Snoopy -
Now the “Club Bore” is on my case again.

buggyite  
#125 Posted : 04 August 2010 12:14:39(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I try to keep out of discussions when they descend into the argumentative on here.

However, using the example photos that** posted, here are my personal opinions...

Firstly, removing scratches/hairs/fold marks is fine, and** does a very good job of that. As is replacing a missing corner, as per the example

In most cases, when contrast/brightness has been adjusted, this improves the photos. I sometimes wonder if altering a sepia-toned photo to  proper "black & white" is the right thing to do, especially if the photo is to go the the Local History Site. If you like, the original toning of the photo is part of its history.

As for removing a genuine part of a photograph, to make it more aesthetically pleasing, I do NOT think that is at all acceptable, particularly here on the "History" sub-forum. It is impossible to determine whether**'s statement that the eye is drawn first to the notices in the window is correct, because having read the preample, one's brain has already been conditioned to look for them. If the original photographer had chosen to remove the white notices in his darkroom, that is definitely up to him, but it's not up to us to decide what makes his creation better. That's like buying a Model T Ford vintage car, and putting a modern Ford Zetec engine in it, because it's "better".   History should be conserved or preserved, not re-written to fit in with current-day thinking.

If saying all this makes me the Club Bore's assistant, so be it. Guilty as charged!

Edited by user 04 August 2010 12:15:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
umtali  
#126 Posted : 04 August 2010 13:10:50(UTC)

I respect your opinion; certainly don’t think it makes you the “Club Bore’s” assistant. That’s the last thing he needs he can bore for Europe all on his own.
umtali  
#127 Posted : 04 August 2010 13:45:22(UTC)

There is one other point. The original remains on site unchanged in any way it can only be removed by the person that posted it. Nothing is lost I cannot remove or loose anyone’s historical images.
G. Jackson  
#128 Posted : 04 August 2010 15:14:31(UTC)
G. Jackson

Well said Buggyite! I agree wholeheartedly.

As for "club bore" I think R.S-S's posts very interesting---carry on Sir.

Edited by user 04 August 2010 15:15:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

umtali  
#129 Posted : 04 August 2010 15:47:04(UTC)

I agree his copied subject content is fine it’s the repetitive old cronies jokes that bore, unless perhaps you are part of the insular double act.

The bottom line is I suppose best to ignore his insults.

Norm  
#130 Posted : 04 August 2010 21:42:06(UTC)
Norm

Man

Just got in, busy day.

Thank you for the response**. I don't agree with you but thank you, that is what these boards are about, I may not agree but you (and I) have a right to say it without it collapsing into silly comments, or pictures. 

It is a shame it took one of snoopy's great posts  to make you respond. Maybe that is why he is called snoopy. One day I may find out who snoopy is, but don't hold your breath.

Now for a drink

Edited by user 04 August 2010 21:45:16(UTC)  | Reason: Usual errors

Norm  
#131 Posted : 04 August 2010 23:17:26(UTC)
Norm

Man

umtali wrote:

There is one other point. The original remains on site unchanged in any way it can only be removed by the person that posted it. Nothing is lost I cannot remove or loose anyone’s historical images.

Yes a very valid point, I agree with you there. Maybe less pictures of other things though.

I don't wish the History Forum to be totally boring but having to scroll over pictures of gudgeons, weaver birds and parrots to get to the interesting bits, and what the thread is all about, gets tiresome.

P.S.

Is Holly out there?? How did your work go down with the examiners??

umtali  
#132 Posted : 05 August 2010 09:45:29(UTC)

Norm wrote:

I don't wish the History Forum to be totally boring but having to scroll over pictures of gudgeons, weaver birds and parrots to get to the interesting bits, and what the thread is all about, gets tiresome.

Gudgeons, weaver birds and parrots. - Now removed Norm, sorry but there is still a reat deal of text about gudgeons which I can do nothing about.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#133 Posted : 05 August 2010 13:37:41(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Well Known Norm,

I am rather surprised at you; the gudgeon pins were very relevant to the topic in hand.
We were trying to identify a particular gate post; and the method of hanging the gates.
Buggyite and a few others contributed about the likely origins of the gate posts under discussion and all did a fine job of investigating the topic.
It was first class work by all involved.

R. S-S
umtali  
#134 Posted : 05 August 2010 14:32:42(UTC)

There you go Norm as requested.

umtali attached the following image(s):
gudge.jpg
Norm  
#135 Posted : 05 August 2010 18:37:14(UTC)
Norm

Man

G. Jackson wrote:

Secondly.   Buggyite suggests that R.S-S knows a lot about the building industry, surely he should know the correct name for the gatepost hinge pin. A GUDGEON PIN holds a piston to a connecting rod in an engine; not a set of gates to a gatepost.

There you go Glenda.** has added the different gudgeon pins. Well done** and sorry Glenda but bottom of the class for you.

G. Jackson  
#136 Posted : 05 August 2010 19:11:27(UTC)
G. Jackson

Sorry to dwell on a point of order but according to Patent No 3575089 a gudgeon pin is for connecting a piston to a connecting rod in an internal combustion engine where it an be subjected to extreme pressures. People in the building trade may call the gate pin anything they want but they will always be wrong. What do builders know anyway?

Try Google ......Gudgeon pin....... no mention of old gateposts !!!

Norm  
#137 Posted : 05 August 2010 19:15:54(UTC)
Norm

Man

I Googled it and found another

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_92344_-1?cid=chanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=92344

On a rudder!  

And a gate

http://www.eltrak.com.au/elgate/gatehinge.html

Edited by user 05 August 2010 19:40:53(UTC)  | Reason: Updated it before Glenda replies

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#138 Posted : 05 August 2010 19:18:25(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I’ve just checked and my gates are still in the perfect position as always and as always the bands are hanging on the gudgeon pins.

R. S-S
G. Jackson  
#139 Posted : 05 August 2010 19:56:07(UTC)
G. Jackson

Just because R.S-S and a few cowboy builders call it a gudgeon pin proves nothing. I still say a gudgeon pin is ONLY in an engine.

shallcross  
#140 Posted : 29 August 2010 12:37:07(UTC)
shallcross

Norm & all

I thought that this would add a little to Errwood Hall

For those of you who are not familiar with the links between Buxton and Goyt Valley there has always been a strong connection through trade with local shops, The Coal Mines, Carters & Carriers and Entertainment

The Errwood Estate used many Buxton Traders throughout its existance especialy traders of quality like Milligans, Milligans for those who dont remember stood on Spring Gardens where Argos is now situated and was a shop on par with any London outlet Edwardian Mahogoney and Glass, where service was paramount, Edward Milligan came from a Scottish background and the family started with a small shop in Chapel.  Very Important man in Buxton in his day on most Boards etc , mason and so on buried in Fairfield Church Yard, as this is a Whaley Forum I wont post any Photographs on this subject but a bit of background always helps.

Also I see today that** has retired from this Forum although as I have already said I find the comments made between certain members distasteful and would never support the idea of tampering with original Photographs only to enhance, it seems a shame that someone who has an interest in this subject departs and may set up another site.

I am new to this forum but i think much has been written by all parties that should not have been.

Shallcross

Shallcross