logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
buggyite  
#21 Posted : 26 August 2010 13:46:10(UTC)
buggyite

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

The photograph of Whaley Bridge Incline:

Whaley Bridge Incline on the Cromford & High Peak Railway, looking down towards the canal basin. Although undated, this picture must have been taken around 1950/2, as for one thing, the roof of the Co-op garages (built around 1949/50) can be seen on the LH side, and  the haulage chains can still be seen on the pulleys on the incline. These were removed fairly quickly after closure of the line in 1952.

The photograph of the line between Whaley Incline & Shallcross Goods:

The C&HP line, looking from Chapel Road bridge back towards Whaley Bridge. Probably taken mid 1950s. The "gallows"-looking feature is a loading gauge, to ensure that the loco and wagons will pass under Chapel Road bridge. This part of the line closed in January 1965.

Here is the picture looking towards Shallcross sidings again, this time without my red text. It was taken in March 1956, probably at the same time as the one looking towards Whaley. This time the photographer has crossed Chapel Road, and is looking in the opposite direction. The route of Shallcross Incline can be made out in the distance, in line with the two staright sidings. This incline was closed in June 1892.

buggyite attached the following image(s):
shallcross.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
buggyite  
#22 Posted : 26 August 2010 14:57:09(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Norm,

I just realised that there is a third R.S-S photo on the bridge 42 discussion that might benefit from a caption, saying something like:

Bridge 43, where the main line up to Buxton passed over the C&HP route to the Canal Basin.  The photo, from 1949, is looking towards Whaley ststaion, and the line on the far left is the spur from the main line onto the C&HP towards Shallcross. The line to the right is the branch to the canal basin, via what is now Stanways yard. The loading gauge is because there is insufficient clearance under bridge 43 , and this section was always worked by horses.

And here is another photo (just about) showing bridge 43 - the railings to the left of the hut indicating its position. The single goods wagon is standing on the spur to Shallcross Goods, and the presence of the Loco on the main line heading towards Whaley Bridge from Buxton enables one to judge the restricted height of Bridge 43. This photo was taken in 1961,by which time the line to the canal basin had been removed.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
buggyite  
#23 Posted : 26 August 2010 14:58:16(UTC)
buggyite

Man

well, HERE is the photo referred to!

wb1s.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
G. Jackson  
#24 Posted : 26 August 2010 15:11:42(UTC)
G. Jackson

I thought R.S-S was joking about the chimneys, they must be the biggest chimneys in the High Peak now the CPA

chimney is no longer with us. Of course they are still there, the foundations of the chimneys must go straight down

through the old vault they are that big.

As for the traffic light, now here he has me thinking. I think it was around 1930 but not too sure. They were turned

on in the afternoon on a  Wednesday though.

Edited by user 26 August 2010 15:14:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#25 Posted : 26 August 2010 18:24:01(UTC)
Norm

Man

Right Buggyite I have added these photos onto the Album part of the website.

I would be obliged if you, and other people "in the know", could have a look and either email me or put a post on here if anything is not quite right.

That's 92 photographs in the album now

Norm

buggyite  
#26 Posted : 27 August 2010 10:27:08(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Great Stuff, Well-known Norm.

I'd like to make a suggestion, if this isn't too difficult to do:  Could you please change the heading in the new "Trains" photo section to be "Trains and Railway Lines"?  For some reason the phrase "train line" sounds wrong to me.

And here is another one for you - Its undated, but believed to have been taken in the 1930s, and shows a bit of an accident on the still extant bridge over the Goyt, looking from Tom Brad's Croft towards Whaley Incline. I presume the wagon had not been properly fastened onto the haulage chains of the incline.

oops.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
Norm  
#27 Posted : 27 August 2010 11:18:49(UTC)
Norm

Man

Tis done

Norm

umtali  
#28 Posted : 28 August 2010 08:31:50(UTC)

Groups: Guest

buggyite  
#29 Posted : 31 August 2010 13:35:54(UTC)
buggyite

Man

R E KNOWLES' SIDING

FURNESS VALE

I was going to write a short piece on "Neddy" Knowles' siding at Furness Vale, and in preparation for this, I scanned a couple of relevant maps to help people place it. The trouble is, they don't actually agree, so this becomes more of a cry for help from those whose knowledge of Furness far exceeds mine.  The two attached maps are firstly an OS map of 1897, and the second is from an official LNWR (London & North Western Railway Co.) source, with a 1919 date stamp on it, but refers to a signed agreement with R E Knowles of 1908.  I have dotted the siding in red, and the connection(s) to the main line in blue. Quite apart from the fact that the LNWR map shows connections to both the Up and the Down line, this map clearly shows the Up line connection as adjacent to the little bridge No. 32, whereas the OS map shows the siding quite a lot further along towards Newtown. The LNWR map gives a lot of detailed distances - yards, chains etc, so would appear to have been compiled from something definitive, but this means my previously unshakeable faith in the Ordnance Survey has been somewhat upset.

I expect that the tramway referred to, but only actually shown where it's adjacent to the siding is the one that came from Knowles' brickworks down to the canal originally, but then had a spur put in, to connect with the railway when it arrived in 1857.  If I remember correctly, my fellow thug R S-S mentioned where this went under the A6 near Furness chippy in a post some time ago.

Anyway, any help or photographs to help clear up this minor mystery would be much appreciated!

os map 1987.jpg
lnwr map.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
parabuild  
#30 Posted : 31 August 2010 18:29:47(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Buggyite,  you've roused my interest.  I have been trying to gather information about Furness Clough for a while now.  This encompasses the colliery, the brickyard and the tramway.  

I have seen a map with the siding named as "Hall's" although I cannot remember the precise  location. Knowles did not take over the mine until 1905 so this was probably correct. 

From the stories that I have been told, I would gather that the LNWR map would be correct. A resident of Furness remembers seeing wagons at the siding being loaded with firebacks which had been brought from  the brickworks by tramway. She could see the siding from a house a few doors past Furness Post Office so that could not have been as mapped by the O.S.  The photograph below, dated 1960 shows a gate alongside the line. This must be at about the position of bridge 32 and might possibly have been the entrance to the siding. There is still a crossover between the up and down lines at the location shown on the LNWR map.  The tramway was 19 inch gauge and linked the colliery  with the canal dock .  Several short sidings branched off at the brickworks.  The line did indeed run under Buxton Road and beneath the present day Chippie.  Passing under the railway there was a branch which turned "sharp left" and continued upwards to the siding.  The tramway was, for at least part of it's length, cable hauled.

I have not been able to find any photos of either the siding or tramway. 

The limited knowledge that I have extends beyond the scope of this thread so I shall start adding this to a new topic.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
station-1960-c.jpg
buggyite  
#31 Posted : 31 August 2010 20:11:16(UTC)
buggyite

Man

I'm glad I've spurred your interest a little, Parabuild.

The photograph below shows the gates into and out of the private siding quite well. This was taken in 1960. You can just about make out the crossover under the loco. Beyond the furthermost gate there is a hut placed where the line went into the siding, but all the scrub where the tramway would have been suggests there'd been no railway/tramway interchanges for a good few years already.

As far as researching the history of the Knowles's "empire", I think that the Hewitt family have had a long association with the company, so you might be able to find quite a bit out, if you can find one or other members of that family.

furness.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
shallcross  
#32 Posted : 31 August 2010 20:49:16(UTC)
shallcross

Evening All

Does this Help, its one of the few  images taken outside Whaley and his beloved Goyt Valley, by our celebrated local photographer WC Wynn.

Buggyite your right about the Hewitts and you will find refrence to Knowles in GOYT VALLEY MINER Errwood Hall & castedge Pit by Kevin Dranfield Pub 2008 ISBN 978-0-9553995-1-0

Shallcross

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Gow Hole Furness Vale.jpg
Shallcross
buggyite  
#33 Posted : 31 August 2010 21:18:09(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Thanks for that photo, Shallcross.

Doesn't really help with the Knowles' siding mystery, but its got me puzzling just where it is.

At first, I thought that the brdge under the railway would be the one on Ladypit road, leading up to where the Gowhole (or Jowhole) up sidings were. But the background behind the railway line doesn't fit. Where for example is the building we always referred to as the "sausage factory" - the one at the side of where Ladypit road takes a sharp right, and where then is that barn on the extreme right of the photograph?

The barn looks suspiciously like the one at Greenhead, so where are the cottages in the foreground?  I thought at first Waterside, but then they are on the "wrong side" of Greenhead!

Its another one for the great research team we have on here, I think.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
shallcross  
#34 Posted : 31 August 2010 21:29:58(UTC)
shallcross

The Furness Card was posted Mar 1929

This next one of course is Shallcross Sidings, I'm sure Buggyite has seen this or similar but many others may not have.

Shallcross

File Attachment(s):
Shallcross sidings.jpg (458kb) downloaded 67 time(s).
Shallcross
buggyite  
#35 Posted : 31 August 2010 21:41:22(UTC)
buggyite

Man

I've reduced it so it will fit "inline" below and removed some obvious dust marks

Edited by user 31 August 2010 21:42:43(UTC)  | Reason: added more info

Shallcross%20sidingsa.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
parabuild  
#36 Posted : 31 August 2010 22:07:44(UTC)
parabuild

Man

The Gowhole photo posted by Mr Shallcross is also on one of the Furnesss History Society CDs although the latter is a slightly cropped version.  The caption is "Overlooking Ivy Cottage on Dolly Lane from the Printworks Lodge. Look for the Lodge reservoir in the foreground."  In the photo there is a glimpse of what must be Station Road on the right with a person in the picture. The water is the printworks lodge at the bottom of Station Road, now dried out and filled in. The dark coloured building is Ivy Cottage which is on a footpath between Marsh Lane and Dolly Lane.  The bridge near the sausage factory is out of the picture to the right. The bridge that we can see is over a farm track, now just a footpath.  The buildings on the hillside will be Beardwood Farm and the trees behind are at Shedyard Clough. I have marked a Google Aerial View accordingly.  It took some working out and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I am right.

Buggyite's photo is one which I haven't seen before.  I have been told that the tramway was lifted shortly before 1960. I have heard stories of how children often used to ride the wagons downhill form the brickyard. The age of one person would indicate that it must have still been extant in the late 50's although maybe only the track to the canal dock.

File Attachment(s):
Capture.JPG (305kb) downloaded 80 time(s).
parabuild  
#37 Posted : 31 August 2010 22:12:15(UTC)
parabuild

Man

parabuild attached the following image(s):
Capture.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#38 Posted : 04 September 2010 09:09:04(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good Morning Buggyite,

I’m taking a day off this morning so I’ll have a chance to look out some railway stuff for you and Parabuild.

But first up here is an extract from John Warren’s Diary with a reference to the Whaley Incline.

John Warren Diary.

1863 Tuesday August 24th    The Commenced altring the in Cline plain of the High Peak Real way at Whaley Bridge to work a Engin up the plain called the all pine    Maid at Birkinhead on a new princepel.

I have the reports of the Alpine tests, and to an old railway enthusiast such as yourself, I am sure they would be of great, nay immense, interest.

Of course you may already have these within your own archives but if not just say the word and they will appear on here as if by magic.

R. S-S

buggyite  
#39 Posted : 04 September 2010 10:38:31(UTC)
buggyite

Man

I would love to see the reports of the tests of the "Alpine" system.  Everything I have read so far points to these tests taking place on the Bunsall Incline, rather than the Whaley Bridge one, so if you could settle this matter more convincingly than you managed to persuade me about the fate of Errwood Hall's gateposts, that would be excellent!

The Alpine system was invented by John Barraclough Fell, and is still used on the Snaefell Mountain Railway on the Isle of Man, and was previously used on several railways across the Alps. Unlike other systems, which used a rack between the rails, Fell's method used an extra rail, laid sideways on supports between the normal running rails. Wheels, either side of this centre rail "gripped" it, using very strong springs to ensure a firm contact.

I have this referring to the tests:

"The first engine . . . . was intended to test the system for application to the Mount Cenis Railway (In Italy). It was tried on a track 800 yards long, of 3' 7½" gauge' laid on a gradient of 1 in 13½ on the High Peak Railway"

Now Bunsall Incline was 455 yards at 1 in 7, and then 660 yards at 1 in 7½, which doesn't really fit in with the description above.

Shallcross Incline was 817 yards at 1 in 10½, so the length suggests the tests might have been here, though the gradient is different.

Whaley Incline is only 180 yards long, but it is 1 in 13½, so the gradient matches, but it's hard to imagine where JB Fell found the extra 620 yards of uphill, if this was the location!

Ahh, another bit...

"180 yards of Fell's test track was straight, with a gradient of 1 in 13, 150 yards with a gradient of 1 in 12, with curves of 2½ chains radius"  Maybe it went up Bings.

And finally, while looking all this up, I perhaps discovered how our friend G.Jackson knows so much about horses: The following is an excerpt from a description of a trip from Cromford to Whaley Bridge on the "fly" train - the fast(ish) through train that conveyed passengers.

"Going forward, the fly was taken in charge by George Jackson who did shunting here (Shallcross Yard) with a horse, and he took us forward to Whaley Bridge Good Shed."

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#40 Posted : 04 September 2010 10:52:37(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Buggyite,

Absolutely amazing. That explains a lot about Mr G Jackson.

Perhaps in reality he is Mr Ed the talking horse. Yes that would fit in with what he writes anyway.

I’ll do the tests later (that’s on the Incline not the talking horse).

R. S-S