logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

23 Pages«<1314151617>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#281 Posted : 15 August 2011 08:27:40(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

I have been sent an enlarged and enhanced version of the Goyt Inn photo showing the pub a little more clearly.

parabuild attached the following image(s):
goyt inn.JPG
Horwich Ender  
#282 Posted : 21 August 2011 21:33:17(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Thank you Shallcross for posting the photograph of the Goyt Inn which means we now have an historical photo of every pub in Whaley. Fantastic!

I am sure Well Known Norm will add this to the Photo Album in the Whaley Bridge Local History Site when he gets time.

Shallcross, you state the photo “is at the moment the best I have showing the Goyt.” Does this mean you are hopeful of posting further photo's? I do hope so.

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread and just because we now have the full set of Whaley Pubs I do hope this will not stop people from posting more photo's.

As far as I am concerned the more photograph's the better.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#283 Posted : 23 August 2011 18:28:50(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

A very good evening to you HE,

Why do I get the impression that you are ignoring me?

It is some time now since you contributed a post that you know full well would wind me up.
Although this I have to say: former Councillor Jean has now left public office and can no longer be the target of our fun.
I saw the good lady only this afternoon and I must say retirement seems to be suiting her very well indeed.

Anyway enough of that this is a thread for historical photos of Whaley Pubs, although we have stretched the limits somewhat.
I have looked at WKN’s web site and tuned into the pub section. There I have found a photo of the Sheps (we may have had a tipple there together at some time) but I have found a slightly older one than WKN’s

And here it is minus the porch:

Horwich Ender  
#284 Posted : 25 August 2011 17:11:21(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon R. S-S

I can assure you I am in no way trying to ignore you. However, it has been alleged that some very sensitive people view this forum and we have to be very careful that we do not offend those of a sensitive nature.

You are well aware that together with Mad Jacko we were accused of hijacking a thread and making abusive comments. I didn't agree with these accusations and fortunately our leader Chairman Jon The Whaley One was also of the opinion that we were neither abusive or hijacking.

I agree with your comments regarding former Councillor Jean Horsfall-Brunt and I am delighted to hear she is wearing well in her retirement from local politics. I have been told although she is no longer a local councillor she will still have some form of a political role to play and it probably won't be too long before her large red erection will make an appearance once more.

Moving back to the subject of Historical Photographs of Whaley Pubs you have come up trumps yet again with your photo of the Sheps and this will make a valuable addition to Well Known Norm's Photo Album. Thank you for sharing your photo with us.

On the subject of Well Known Norm's Photo Album I have been studying his magnificent Local History Site and I feel it's appropriate to make a comment which I will do under a new thread.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#285 Posted : 25 August 2011 17:31:19(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A very good afternoon to you as well HE,

I am pleased and relieved that we are still best mates; on here at any rate.

I do have a photo of a now closed local ale house that I believe has not been seen before. Well not on here that is for certain.
It is a very unusual view of the public house in question and I shall have to post the more usual views of the establishment for comparison purposes.
It is the same pub but you do have to look at it a few hundred times to be absolutely sure.

I will consider posting it over the next few days. In the meantime I have been rather hanging back a bit on the pub scene hoping for other contributors to have a chance but they do seem rather thin on the ground at the moment.
So I’ll have a look at what I have and see about putting them on your thread.
I can’t do this all at one go as I really want to see this topic hit the magical 30,000 viewings.
Now that would be something don’t you think?

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#286 Posted : 25 August 2011 18:31:51(UTC)
Gnatalee

Good afternoon R.S-S

I hope you are keeping well. I very much like your picture in posting no. 283 - it is very clear and the pub looks very pretty. I am, though, a little concerned at the appearance of a tornado in the distance in the righ-half of the picture. Is this the famous Whaley tornado, the remnants of someone's cup of tea or has someone been "tinkering" again?

Whatever, it is a fab photo - hope there were no casualties in the tornado !!

Gnats

Edited by user 25 August 2011 18:33:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#287 Posted : 25 August 2011 19:23:19(UTC)
Norm

Man

Good evening H.E. R.S-S and Gnats

The album now contains all the pubs on this thread. Not quite sure why the number 30,000 is magical, R.S-S.

It certainly would be nice to have more pictures of churches on the site. Surely some wedding pictures may have a picture of the church amongst them, or church magazines. It goes without saying that I have no photographs, being born some 20 miles away. The album now contains 183 photographs, thank you to all who have provided them.

Norm

RockBanker  
#288 Posted : 25 August 2011 20:49:27(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Norm wrote:

Not quite sure why the number 30,000 is magical, R.S-S.

30 000 is the distance in Ris  - (A Talmudic unit of distance equal to about 127 metres) from Jerusalem to Whaley Bridge.as measured along a great circle.

Excellent - that's chapter 8 of the Shallcross Code sorted.

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#289 Posted : 26 August 2011 08:31:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello gnats and RockBanker,

First of all I must say well spotted Gnats. I have never noticed the tornado before but I would say that the photo has not been tinkered with; well not yet anyway.
On looking at it a second time I do believe it could be hot air rising from the Mechanics Institute and that surely would be the real reason.

Now then RockBanker what are you up to again?

I have yet to learn about the ‘Ris’ or Talmudic units but you may, just may, be on the right track. But as far as I know there are no pelicans in Jerusalem are there? Or even in Shallcross come to that.

R. S-S

RockBanker  
#290 Posted : 26 August 2011 09:36:00(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

. But as far as I know there are no pelicans in Jerusalem are there?

From http://www.sacred-destinations.com/israel/jerusalem-last-supper-room

"The Last Supper Room is a second-story room in Jerusalem that commemorates the "upper room" in which Jesus shared the Last Supper with the disciples. It is located directly above the Tomb of David and near the Dormition Abbey on Mount Zion. ......   A dome above the stairs is supported by marble columns with a notable capital depicting pelicans pecking their parent's breast, a symbol of charity and sacrifice in Christian art. "

Still no news about the whereabouts of the cup once owned by the Jodrell Family that was donated to the Golf Club as a trophy by Colonel Ramsden-Jodrell  ? I know you have expressed interest in this before.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#291 Posted : 26 August 2011 13:21:51(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon once again RockBanker,

Well upon my soul there are indeed pelicans in Jerusalem after all.
I have just relayed this important breaking news to Peter my very own pet pelican and he is absolutely thrilled.
He has mentioned that we might go there for our autumn holiday. I haven’t told him but I already have a holiday booked to Tripoli so if he still fancies Jerusalem he will just have to fly by himself.

With regards to the ‘missing’ trophies that were once keenly fought for at Whaley Bridge I am afraid I must once again disappoint you.
Despite extensive research I have been unable to locate these famous artefacts.
I did manage to trace the whereabouts of the club’s oak tables and large supply of second hand golf balls but that is about it; apart from a photo of an unknown person flashing his golf clubs before a round at the famous old course.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#292 Posted : 26 August 2011 13:43:09(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Very glad to hear that Peter is alive and well. We have not heard much of him lately.

If you do find the whereabouts of the items in question, I would be careful who you tell. If my theories are correct there may well be a strong link between the Pelicans of Jerusalem and the Ramsden-Jodrell Cup.

Horwich Ender  
#293 Posted : 26 August 2011 17:11:58(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon.

R. S-S, I very much look forward to seeing your photo of the “now closed local ale house which has not been seen before.” Is this a pub which has not been featured before or a photo which has not been posted before?

Well Known Norm, many thanks for putting all the photo's of the pubs in your Photo Album.

Thank you Gnats for pointing out the “Whaley Tornado” on the photo supplied by R. S-S. I'm not sure if Green_Gentleman is still with us as I think he may have resigned after stating that because of the input of relatively new forum members the General Discussion Forum has become more like meeting with the vicar conversations rather than a place where topics can be openly discussed. However, if he is still with us, no doubt he will comment as he appears to be the expert on strange weather conditions in Whaley.

Rockbanker, yet again you mention Colonel Ramsden-Jodrell's Golf Trophy. This is a subject which continually appears in various threads where R. S-S is involved. Are you implying that R. S-S knows where this much sort after trophy is located or indeed has possession of it himself? I am intrigued.

RockBanker  
#294 Posted : 26 August 2011 17:44:38(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Horwich Ender wrote:

. Are you implying that R. S-S knows where this much sort after trophy is located or indeed has possession of it himself? I am intrigued.

R S-S has made it perfectly clear that he knows nothing of its whereabouts, and I have no reason to doubt his word. As you say, this remarkable object is much quested after and I would hate it to fall into the wrong hands.

Horwich Ender  
#295 Posted : 26 August 2011 18:38:39(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening RockBanker.

I am delighted to hear you have no reason to believe R. S-S has any knowledge of the whereabouts of the Ramsden-Jodrell Cup.

You do however state you have theories as to the possible whereabouts of this trophy and perhaps you would be kind enough to share your theories with us which may well help in the search for the trophy which has considerable historical significance to Whaley Bridge.

RockBanker  
#296 Posted : 26 August 2011 19:24:26(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Well, you will have to wait until "The Shallcross Code" is published...

Look for it any good bookshop soon

RockBanker attached the following image(s):
The Shallcross Code.jpg

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#297 Posted : 27 August 2011 08:57:25(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good morning HE,

I really have no idea what RockBanker is going on about but it is most interesting all the same and an added bonus is that he is pushing the ‘viewing figures’ along to the magical 30,000 mark.
I must say, however, his book does look appealing if somewhat familiar and I am very much looking forward to reading it.

The pub I referred to is still standing and is situated in, of all places, Horwich End you will be pleased to know.
When I do publish it on here I think we may well have to revise our target figure of 30,000 up to somewhere near the 100,000 mark.
Who knows maybe the Whaley One will award you a gold disc for your efforts?

I also have a couple of other Whaley pubs knocking about so I might put them on first. I’ll see how the mood takes me.

R. S-S
G. Jackson  
#298 Posted : 27 August 2011 12:14:01(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Rockbanker,

I presumed that your book would be published by Penguin but looking at the bottom right of the cover it seems to be produced by Pelican. ( is this the famous Peter???)

RockBanker  
#299 Posted : 27 August 2011 23:35:11(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Due to his lack of interest in my ideas for a wet fish delivery service, I am under the impression that Peter is of a somewhat shy and retiring disposition (R-SS may disabuse me of this)  and I would not use his image unless he gave me explicit permission.  However the role of Pelicans is central to the plot of "Shallcross Code". They have a much greater load carrying capacity than a swallow ( European or African ) but a somewhat shorter range.

Edited by user 28 August 2011 00:42:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lady Madonna  
#300 Posted : 28 August 2011 01:56:45(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi, R. S-S, WKN & Shallcross,
Whilst rooting in the vaults near to the wine cellar (couldn't find the corkscrew!) I came across a doccument that may be of interest on this thread.
On the 26th September 1799 an Indenture between Francis Jodrell of Henbury and John Beard, Baker of Horwich within Fernilee talks of land near the turnpike road leading from Horwich to Chapel being measured and leased that may be used to build dwelling places, in subsequent papers there is mention of the building of Hawthorn Terrace & Hollybank also a Bakehouse & public house, the Board Inn is named in deeds from the mid 1800's however the most interesting part is the Abstract part of the Will of Mr.George Bromily pre 1799 which says that the land has a dwelling house used as a public house known by the name on the sign 'The Nelsons Arms'. I am unsure if the pubs are one & the same or if they were different buildings but it would seem they are on the same land. There may be a painting at large but alas not in our Gallery!
I also would like to say how good the photo site is now & how easy it is to use, well done all.
Lastly having looked at the photo's I notice there is not any of the Navigation Inn at Whaley, and that the photo of the Board Inn is I have been reliably informed is the wrong way round the houses shown on the left are actually Holly Bank & Hawthorn terrace No's 1,2 which are on the right.
I must now leave the Study and get back to the job in hand, the said corkscrew now having been located.
Good-night Lady M.