logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

23 Pages«<1415161718>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#301 Posted : 28 August 2011 10:24:17(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Once again Good Morning, My Lady,

A few things for your information:

Some of the photos I have are taken from old glass plates and when copied they have gone into the scanner the wrong way round (personally I blame Mrs R. S-S but she always has the last word so I’ve given up on that one) so that the image is the wrong way round.
I have noticed it with a couple of railway photos and one of Shallcross Manor.
Some clever folk on here know how to ‘flip’ them the right way round; unfortunately I don’t. So you get what you get.

Now with regards to The Nelson pub I can only give you the information I put on here last Christmas Eve.
And here it is:

Below is a list of Taverns and Public Houses as listed in Pigot’s directory of Derbyshire of 1835.

I think you will be surprised at some of the ale houses that are within the list.

I’ll let you pick the bones out of it but I would suggest you pay particular attention to The Board and The Nelson at Tunstead Milton, the two Spread Eagles and, of course, yet another Swan.

R. S-S

TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.

Black Greyhound, Joseph Simpson, Chapel
Board, John Bennett, Horridge
Board, Thos. Holdgate, Tunstead Milton
Bulls Head, Thos Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Burfield Inn, Isaac Creswell, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Cock Inn, Richard Robinson, Whaley Bridge
Hat & Feathers, Samuel Ibberson, Chapel
Nelson, James Walton, Tunstead Milton
New Inn, John Bennett, Horridge
New Inn, Geo. Staley, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Old Pack Horse, Anthony Shallcross, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Pack Horse, Daniel Vernon, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Roebuck, Wm. Lomas, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Shoulder of Mutton, Sarah Walker, Chapel
Spread Eagle, Henry Lomas, Chapel
Spread Eagle, James Shirt, Chapel Milton
Swan, Thos. Hulme, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Talbot, Martha Carrington, Chapel
Thorn, Wm. Walton, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Three Tuns, Thomas Watts, Sparrow pit
Volunteer, James Johnson, Chapel
White Hart, John Taylor, Whaley Bridge
White Horse, John Wyld, Horridge end

So it would appear that in 1835 we had The Board Inn (the correct way round) at Horwich End where we have always known it to be and a Board Inn at Tunstead Milton and also The Nelson at Tunstead Milton. Rather fortunate that it was not called The Nelson’s Arms don’t you think?
But fairly recently there were two pubs in Tunstead Milton and that could be them under other names (a bit like you and me really)

Finally, and I think this has to be the last time I mention this My Lady but not only are you up half the night once again you are opening a bottle of what I assume is/was His Lordships most expensive Red and at 1.56 am to boot.

The aristocracy eh! Well I don’t blame you it’s hardly like you are having it with your breakfast is it?
But then again 1.56am?

R. S-S
Norm  
#302 Posted : 28 August 2011 10:46:17(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Not sure which Board Inn piccy is wrong. I am talking/writing about the three together in the album, so if it's another please let me know.

Two of them have the word Robbies on etc, so it can't be them and the third with two men, a dog and cart matches the other two, so I am confused (no change there then).

Norm

Horwich Ender  
#303 Posted : 28 August 2011 13:55:12(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon R. S-S.

I am also not too sure what RockBanker is going on about. Perhaps he has been following the example set by Chairman Jon The Whaley One and has sampled one too many of the strong ales currently available at the Dog and Partridge. As you say his posts are always interesting and I await further developments with interest.

I am delighted the pub you previously referred to is located in Horwich End and I'm really looking forward to viewing this unseen photo.

I have been thinking which pub it could be and I have narrowed it down to one of the following:

Royal Oak / Chimes

Quiet Woman / Lamb and Salmon

New Inn / Jolly Roger

Seven Stars

Drum & Monkey

Sycamore

You state you also have other historical photo's of Whaley pubs and I thank you in advance for sharing these with us.

Please don't keep us waiting too long R. S-S.

G. Jackson  
#304 Posted : 28 August 2011 14:53:00(UTC)
G. Jackson

Don't forget the Club. (Was it a Conservative Club?) My family lived there in the late 20s

Lady Madonna  
#305 Posted : 28 August 2011 16:31:49(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Norm, the picture of the Board Inn that is the wrong way round is the one with the people in it.
R. S-S thank you for the list of Taverns, there are deeds with the Board on dated 1829, however the plot of land mentioned is next to the the pub and inbetween the turnpike so why Tunstead would be mentioned I am not sure. PS the wine was white and from Tesco's, more than my life is worth to indulge in his Lordships!!
Lady M.
Norm  
#306 Posted : 28 August 2011 18:33:39(UTC)
Norm

Man

Well Me Lady, putting on Parker's voice, I just cannot see it. It would mean knocking down the sort of extension on the left, rebuilding it on the right and then put it back on the left to where it is today. Filling in some windows and then opening them up again. Sorry but I am finding it hard to come to that conclusion.

By extension I mean the part where the front wall is set back and the roof therefore does not come forward as much. That's a couple of more views to get to 30,000 R.S-S.

Norm

Edited by user 28 August 2011 18:34:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gritch  
#307 Posted : 28 August 2011 19:42:28(UTC)
gritch

Sorry...but just had to butt in here.  

I'm with you on this one Norm.  Having skipped back and forth between the photos of the Board and google maps, the photo with the people on it is shows the Board as being the correct way round. Hollybank, mentioned in Lady M's  post, #300,  is a double fronted detached property and would have shown up as that had it been on the left as stated.

G.

shallcross  
#308 Posted : 29 August 2011 09:46:00(UTC)
shallcross

I think there is just a little confusion here There is a publication  called Whaley Bridge in the Mid Nineteenth Century which was produced in 2009 from information first published by Whaley Bridge Amenity Society in the early 80s, a copy of which I think that the good Lady M has in her possesion that does show The Board Inn picture in reverse, the original booklet produced in the 80s has no pictures within and the photos were added on the reprint, with that image an easy mistake to make, but the picture on The Website is the correct way round with the houses on the left, sometimes Images can look so confusing when printed the wrong way round.

Shallcross
shallcross  
#309 Posted : 29 August 2011 10:13:45(UTC)
shallcross

Mr Jackson

Quite right The Bowling Club has a bar so why not include it in this thread, has it been a Conservative Club? I am not aware that it has ever been anything else only a Bowling club although a think that The Tennis club made use of it as well at some point, prior to the Bowling Club there was a Roller Skating Rink and later Mrs Mees Tea Rooms, site of many a Whaley Bridge family get together, Partington Hall on Old Road at one time housed The Liberal Club if that helps!

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Bowling Club.jpg
Shallcross
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#310 Posted : 29 August 2011 11:59:33(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Shallcross,

Yes the Gospel Hall (now a target for Horwich Ender no doubt) was The Partington Liberal Club (perhaps yet another target).

The Conservative Club was on Chapel Road; it was the detached house now up for sale after the cottages coming from the New Inn two properties before the turning to Rock Bank.
There used to be two cottages at the side of it but they were demolished long ago and there is now a garage where they stood.

R. S-S
Horwich Ender  
#311 Posted : 29 August 2011 20:28:50(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening.

Shallcross, what a great photo of the Bowling Club. If you look closely I think you can see another pub and a church. Brilliant!

Another one for your Photo Album Well Known Norm.

Jacko, you are correct. I forgot about the Liberal and Conservative Clubs, and the eagerly awaited R. S-S photograph could well be of these clubs but we can rule out the Bowling Club as it's not in Horwich End.

parabuild  
#312 Posted : 29 August 2011 21:32:54(UTC)
parabuild

Man

parabuild attached the following image(s):
11.10.1924.JPG
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#313 Posted : 30 August 2011 15:36:45(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

HE,

Are you away during the week?

The reason I ask is that I view this as your topic and I address most of my posts to you.
I was about to put a very old photo of a Whaley pub on here but if you are away and there are several replies the page might turn over or even go to the next page.
Whichever is the correct expression if that should happen you may miss the photo all together and we wouldn’t want that would we?

Let me know this evening if possible.

If I hear nothing from you I will assume your work takes you away from Horwich End during the week and I shall wait until next weekend.

The next four photos are belters I can assure you of that HE.

R. S-S

By the way I am now highly confident of reaching the 30,000 viewing figure very shortly and I am also very much looking forward to seeing you receive your award, presented by Chairman Jon the Whaley One at the next secret meeting of JGTC.
In fact I may as well email the Buxton Ad and alert them to hire a photographer for the evening.

Horwich Ender  
#314 Posted : 30 August 2011 21:04:21(UTC)
Horwich Ender

I am here R. S-S, waiting with baited breath.

Curious  
#315 Posted : 31 August 2011 07:07:52(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Hi R. S.S

I was born in one of the two cottages you mention in Post #310.  I don't want to give my age away but they were condemned just after I was born.  Have you, or any other Forum Members, got a photo of these cottages by any chance?

Thanks

Mrs C

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#316 Posted : 31 August 2011 09:06:32(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good morning Mrs Curious,

I am sorry I don’t think that I have any photos or further information, at the moment, on your place of birth. Surely though your birth was not so traumatic for your mother that it resulted in both houses being condemmed?

HE,

I am pleased to see you are still knocking about during the week so here is the first photo of a former Whaley Public House for you.
Can you identify it, Sir?

R. S-S

shallcross  
#317 Posted : 31 August 2011 09:52:04(UTC)
shallcross

Good Morning RSS

I am sure many will recognise this. I presume you have cropped the image so you can reveal the full picture later, it is a nice picture although it looks as though it was scanned through a plastic film.

Shallcross
Horwich Ender  
#318 Posted : 31 August 2011 17:42:31(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon R. S-S

Thanks for posting your very interesting photo.

Although Shallcross is sure many will recognise the pub I'm afraid I am not one of them. There does appear to be a haze on the picture although it is clear that John Yates was the Licensed Retailer at the time the photo was taken.

Following the comments from Shallcross it would appear there is more of the photo to come and I assume you are going to reveal more in due course.

I will wait for your further postings before making a guess at the establishment but in the meantime perhaps you could let us know if the horse in the picture does have five legs.

G. Jackson  
#319 Posted : 31 August 2011 17:51:32(UTC)
G. Jackson

What a ridiculous statement...a horse with 5 legs !!    It of course has only 4 legs ,,3 at the back and a very thick one at the front.

G.J.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#320 Posted : 31 August 2011 17:59:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Come, come HE,

You disappoint me. Surely you can identify the pub in question!
Look closely and I am sure the penny will eventually drop. It may even have its own website; the pub that is not the penny.

As for Jackson: one can only guess at the extent of his madness. It is certainly getting very severe though don’t you think?
I think it is definitely time for the men in white coats to be on full alert just in case.

R. S-S