logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wily  
#1 Posted : 21 June 2009 12:51:45(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Does anyone know who is responsible for the upkeep (or should I say lack of upkeep) of the trees bushes and plants between the railway station and the bridge on Reservoir Road? I'm getting fed up of being stung and scratched every time I walk up Whaley Lane.

Jake  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2009 16:58:26(UTC)

I am afraid I can't remember but in previous years when this problem had occured I have reported the problem to the Town Clerk and after a lengthy period the foliage has been cut back.

I think that is your best way forward.

Please e-mail her direct, do not expect her to pick your complaint up off the forum.

Jake
Bob Bowker  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2009 19:26:27(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Groups: Member

It doesn't get much better the higher up you go on Whaley Lane. Apart from looking out for the 'the Triffids', you have to keep your wits about you as the pavement is so uneven you are quite likely to turn an ankle. Bad enough in daylight, but in the dark a nightmare.
Web Watcher  
#4 Posted : 30 June 2009 11:54:25(UTC)
Web Watcher

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have just returned from a little shopping trip to the village and there were men with cutters attacking branches!!
JohnP  
#5 Posted : 30 June 2009 21:01:40(UTC)
JohnP

Man

My understanding of the situation is as follows:

Network Rail own the Station, including the 'garden' on the S-bend. Network Rail have an agreement whereby the current Train Operating Company with the franchise on the Buxton Line, ie Northern Rail, manage the Station, including the 'garden' on the S-bend. Northern Rail's current 'facilities' contractor' is a company called ISS, who have a pretty good record in dealing with matters which actually reach them. Northern Rail have appointed volunteers called 'Station Adopters' at most (if not all) Stations that they manage. They do not make public the names of these local volunteers, but these Station Adopters do keep their ears and eyes open and report regularly anything that needs attention. As Whaley Bridge is a 'manned station, members of the public can refer matters to the person at the Booking Office, to the Town Clerk, to Friends of Whaley Bridge Station, or to myself (I represent Whaley Bridge Town Council and several other local Town and Parish Councils in High Peak on the High Peak and Hope Valley Community Rail Parnership). One way or another, the local Station Adopter will become aware of anything that needs attention, and report it - and there are other ways behind the scenes of dealing with matters that 'drag on'.

It is the responsibility of the Local Highways Authority (DCC) to take action that any nuisance to the public (eg from overhanging vegetation obstructing pavements) on adopted highways be abated – by requiring the owner of the trees, bushes, whatever to manage their asset properly with regard to the safety of the public; otherwise DCC can give notice to the owner that they (DCC) will send a contractor to abate the nuisance and recharge the owner if the owner fails to carry out the work within a reasonable time. This is happening all the time – behind the scenes.

Although various members (now deceased) of Whaley Bridge Amenity Society used to undertake this work (at the garden on the S-bend) on a voluntary basis for many years, no members are willing to do it today. When Derby and Derbyshire Goundwork Trust have one of their volunteer days in Whaley Bridge, things like this are attended to – but not this particular matter because the way forward is to report it to ISS for action.

Contributed by JohnP, who may be contacted at: johnpritchard@highpeak.gov.uk

Scuba Man  
#6 Posted : 01 July 2009 18:50:29(UTC)

I don't know who you spoke to but whatever you did it has done the trick. Lower Whaley Lane is now Jungle free.

Well done wily