logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
barrwalk  
#41 Posted : 23 January 2010 13:29:19(UTC)
barrwalk

Groups: Member
Man

Getting back to the start of this thread would be good. If you remember it was about the 'hearing' ability of the Whaley Eleven.  

It is true to say that they are very good talkers. How else could half of them (the frequent attendance figure) spend a whole evening at the Mechanics on the second Thursday of ten months a year? With Jakes sad passing that leaves one 'doer' on W.B.T.C. and that is not enough to get much done when there is so much to do! If you look at the Town Council minutes you will see they indicate that most of the Council meetings are filled with correspondence and there may be 60+ items of it on the agenda. You as citizens are not allowed to see this correspondence in the minutes easily and you have to go along and ask for it. Even in 2010 it is not available on the website. Neither are the reports submitted for a good talking about. It is only recently (after my request) that they list the acronyms used in the minutes. Before that you were supposed to know them. The rest of their evening is taken up with deciding who is going to attend the other trivial 'talking-shops' run by High Peak Borough Council or Derbyshire County Council and others. It is a talking circle that is self-perpetuating. 

Some of the Eleven work hard at this but the question is does it make any difference to anyone living in Whaley or Furness Vale? It would appear from others writing in this thread that is does NOT.

Have you tried writing direct to any of them? I have and it is no more productive. The reason - they have no vision of the future of Whaley Bridge. They have no plans for what they would like to see done with the traffic flow; the parking, the snow and ice; the shops; the business community; the youths who hang around the pizza shop; the Transhipment Warehouse; our dirty roads and pavements; bus services, the Coronation Rowans, etc. etc. I am sure you could think of more.  

Three years ago there was a, East Midlands Development Agency fund that was available for the regeneration of canal watersides, to promote local business and community. The Transhipment Warehpouse as a community facility was withing our grasp. In their 'greed' the Whaley Eleven decided, amongst themselves, that the project must be joined on to the Bingswood Industrial Estate project that included a second bridge.The same 20 year old thinking. NOW ALL IS LOST. There is no longer any funding!

I went to The Mechanics and volunteered to go shopping (with my 4x4) for those (elderley and disabled) who were 'imprisoned' in their houses but there was no list of vulnerable people and I was not 'disturbed', maybe next year? Who else is in a better position than W.B.T.C. to gather such information? Until they make plans (wish lists) and develop a vision nothing will change.

P.S. Does anyone know of any accidents to pedestrians caused by the lack of attention to the snow/ice problems on the footpaths?  

Edited by user 28 January 2010 11:31:44(UTC)  | Reason: spelling and grammar corrections

Fedup  
#42 Posted : 24 January 2010 19:17:23(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hoorah for you Barrwalk!!!!

I think you could have left it at just "they have no vision".

That would cover everything.

Edited by user 24 January 2010 19:18:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Horwich Ender  
#43 Posted : 28 January 2010 17:33:55(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

It's more than two weeks since R. S-S posted his initial thoughts on this subject and I believe there has been more than sufficient time for Whaley's eleven 'silent' councillors to reply. It would appear there have been no responses from any of the Whaley Eleven, only a cryptic message from the Town Clerk.

I think the lack of acknowledgement or comment goes a long way in showing how the majority of our local councillors conduct themselves and view this Forum.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#44 Posted : 29 January 2010 18:15:23(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

A very good evening to you HE,

You are rather like a dog with a bone as far as this subject goes; and good for you. If something needs addressing there is no point just ignoring it is there? You are obviously a man of action like myself. I share your concern on this matter.

The Whaley Eleven it would seem are not going to make an appearance on here. I doubt if any circumstances would bring them out.

Now we need to know why this is so:

Is there a directive from someone that they are not to communicate with the good people of Whaley via this forum?
Possible but not probable.

Are they afraid they may show themselves up?
Again possible but not probable.

Have they not got access to a computer?
Well certainly in one and only one case we know that to be a reason. Maybe not a very valid reason in 2010 but we can not change that.

Will they not come on here because they fear being shot down or ridiculed in some way?
Now I think this is more probable.

We have one current Councillor who from what we see on here appears to do everything. Maybe The Whaley Eleven also have their moments; we may never know.

Just looking briefly at the latest topics: Horwich End Traffic Lights, This Very Topic, Valentine Market, and many others; the sole contributor from the Council has been Cllr Jon Goldfinch. Sadly he has chosen not to enter the debate about the Kenwood Chef; probably for reasons best known to himself.

The point I am making is that Cllr Jon comes on here, and OK sometimes appears to shoot himself in the foot, but nevertheless he is better thought of for it.
I have had my problems with Cllr Jon on this forum and indeed on this very thread (all now sorted out amicably by the way) but at least he stands up to be counted and comes across as honest and hard working.

Wouldn’t it be better if some of The Whaley Eleven just came on occasionally and said something like:
“That is very concerning about a hole in the road I shall notify the relevant authorities immediately and monitor what action is taken” or “Well goodness me I did not know there was a coal pit on Wharf Road; how very interesting. Is it still there?”

If we heard just a little of that how could they be ridiculed? They would have my support for one and I would be far more impressed than the status quo which seems to be a silent, shadowy Whaley Eleven with nothing to say on any topic that comes up.

So now then it’s over to you the Eleven; what have you to say for yourselves?

Do you know what HE? I rather think our Councillors are now starting to be viewed much as Frank Owen viewed the Councillors all those years ago in Mugsborough.

R. S-S

Devious  
#45 Posted : 13 February 2010 20:09:47(UTC)
Devious

I went to the council meeting on Thursday night and sat behind Jon. Jon did his stuff along with a couple of others. I reserve judgement on the meeting in general. The excitement got to me so I left early and went to bed where I stayed for 24hrs to get over the experience! The words 'paint' and 'dry' come to mind.

DEVIOUS 

Fedup  
#46 Posted : 14 February 2010 18:15:06(UTC)
Fedup

I've been there Devious, I've been there.

I suggest a darkened room and a bottle of whisky!

Edited by user 14 February 2010 18:16:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#47 Posted : 15 February 2010 12:57:11(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

My word Devious,

I admire your bravery, Sir. How did you manage to get in? And because you certainly did then how did you manage to leave early with all the barricades behind the front doors?

Even so very good work a mission for which you must be complimented. Did you notice if any of ‘The Whaley Eleven’ could actually read and write?

R. S-S
Fedup  
#48 Posted : 15 February 2010 19:08:46(UTC)
Fedup

I think we should organise a little group to pay a visit to the next Council Meeting.

We could take sandwiches and a few cans and make a night of it!

How about it R.S-S?

Edited by user 15 February 2010 19:09:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#49 Posted : 28 February 2010 10:34:10(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Well now readers this question was first asked on the 11th of January and apart from an information only post from JohnP about the Winter Maintenance Review there has been nothing else from the Whaley Eleven.
So as regards that first question we must sadly assume the answer is “No, your Councillor can neither read nor write”. Well certainly not as regards to this public forum which debates all issues relating to Whaley Bridge.
The forum is basically a public information board open to everyone to use. Everything relating to Whaley Bridge can be discussed. People can help and inform each other. I believe it is read by a great number of Whaley residents.
Great work has been done during the bad weather particularly by Web Watcher (congratulations to you, Sir).
Announcements have been made for village events, people asking for help with these; others volunteering. Fund raising for good causes has appeared on here as well. Good historic information even the anniversary of two young men killed in Whaley many years ago has been brought to people’s attention. Great local photographs old and current are regularly included.
We even have our very own resident Priest who looks over us.
Well done to you Jamie.
But best of all we have A Councillor who is in touch with his people and knows how to communicate (OK forget the Beer Poem just for a moment). Why does he stand alone?
We have just had a new Councillor from Furness; has somebody/something prevented her from introducing herself to us? Would she prefer to remain unknown?

There have been no end of topics since the 11th Jan but not one it would seem that has any interest for the Whaley Eleven.
Does anyone know what on earth is wrong with them?

At this rate, what with all the tasks undertaken and information given to us by the one single Councillor, I can see stardom beckoning for that Councillor.
JonG could become the next Cliff Richard and the Whaley Eleven his anonymous backing group The Shadows.

R. S-S

Fedup  
#50 Posted : 28 February 2010 17:57:51(UTC)
Fedup

Indeed, JonG appears to be all things to all men. He certainly has many fingers in many pies.

However, Cliff Richard and The Shadows?..............hmm. I'll have to have a think about that R.S-S!
Dora Gibson  
#51 Posted : 02 March 2010 23:31:10(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Dear RS-S,

I think I know what is wrong with the Councillors, they are in reality dead, stuffed with a small micro-chip in each of them to give them just the basic movement and of course the usual incoherent burblings.................................................. So let's hear it for the dead, stuffed, chipped burblers of our proud county!!!!!!

Your clued-up Dora Gibson plus Gibson Gibson Jnr
High Peak Harry  
#52 Posted : 05 March 2010 00:01:55(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Dora, you must have read The Throwback by Tom Sharpe, for that is the storyline regarding an inheritance. The cover graphics on the original print show what could, in all probability, be one of the Whaley Eleven.
I'm sure some clever person could post the cover picture on here. It would be good for the citizens of Whaley to know what their elected representatives might look like.
parabuild  
#53 Posted : 05 March 2010 07:31:03(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Now which of the Whaley Eleven might you be thinking of Harry ?

parabuild attached the following image(s):
www.randomhouse.ca.gif
High Peak Harry  
#54 Posted : 05 March 2010 18:11:45(UTC)
High Peak Harry

That is applicable, I saw it last night on the web. The original shows a stuffed OAP who is motorised and electronically operated. I have the original on the bookcase behind me.
MLG  
#55 Posted : 06 March 2010 19:45:23(UTC)
MLG

Fantastic book
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#56 Posted : 25 April 2010 13:38:19(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

This is indeed a sad and sorry state of affairs.

Since that day on January the 11th this year when the question was first posed nothing at all has been heard from the Whaley Eleven. Zero, nowt or any other word that you may choose.
We recently had a new Councillor from Furness Vale and she too has joined the band of the dumb and illiterate.
An awful lot concerning Whaley Bridge has happened since that day but nothing serious enough to elicit a single comment from the Whaley Eleven.

Shall we have a look at some of the topics and issues raised by various contributors?

1. The 125th anniversary of the deaths of 2 railway men in Whaley.

2. Dog fouling in Whaley and the arrest of a dog owner.

3. The severe weather problems.

4. Taxal Lodge set on fire.

5. The problems of the Whaley Water weekend.

6. The problems with Horwich End traffic lights.

7. The Meadowfield Mess.

8. The Rose Queen and Whaley School.

9. What’s happening with the Jodrell Arms.

10. Footpath repairs.

11. The General Election.

12. Parking problems.

13. Tons of stuff on the historical side.

14. Even the Whaley Girls in “Britain’s got Talent”. And probably a lot more that I have forgotten about just now.

Some marvellous contributions from some eloquent and passionate contributors but nothing in that lot to raise the slightest interest in the Whaley Eleven; certainly not enough to put pen to paper or rather fingers to keyboard.
What exactly is wrong with these people? If they are not able or are unwilling to react with their people why are they on the Council at all? What exactly is the definition of a Councillor or perhaps their job description?
Why is Jon the only one to keep us informed? I would say that his reputation has been greatly enhanced by what he has done on here. OK, OK forget the 4.00am beer poem.
Some of these others are also on committees that have been mentioned on the forum and still they refuse to speak.
If you go to the Whaley Bridge web site the Council and this Forum are both there so do you believe that they do not know about the Forum? Has Jon not told them what’s going on here? Do they read it?
Of course Jon has told them; as if they need telling. They read it for themselves
So just what would waken them up? I have no idea but I would not want to rely on a single one of them for anything if what has happened (or not happened) on here is anything to go by.
It’s a bloody good job they weren’t with Spartacus after the defeat by the Romans that’s all I can say.

R. S-S

Horwich Ender  
#57 Posted : 09 May 2010 19:35:35(UTC)
Horwich Ender

I note Whaley's very own local councillor David Lomax was unsuccessful in his attempt to become a Westminster MP after losing out to George Osborne in Tatton. Perhaps this was not unsurprising and Cllr Lomax should be congratulated on finishing in second place ahead of Labour, an Independent and the Poetry party.

The good news for this village is Cllr Lomax will be able to concentrate his political efforts on the important matters concerning Whaley Bridge. Don't expect any comment or contribution on this forum but, motorists abusing the access only notices on Bings Road better watch out because David's about.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#58 Posted : 14 May 2010 17:46:25(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good evening HE,

I agree, dashed bad luck for David. As you say he’s not on the yellow brick road down to Westminster but it is great news that he will be staying on as a member of the Whaley Eleven.

It is news to me that there was someone standing for the Poetry Party in Tatton. Surely not our very own JonG?
Can you add anything about this Poetry Party?
I think it is a Party I could well be charmed by.

R. S-S
Horwich Ender  
#59 Posted : 14 May 2010 20:31:57(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good Evening R. S-S

I'm sorry to inform you that it was not our very own CllrJonG who stood for the Poetry Party in Tatton. However, I am sure that if CllrJonG had stood he would have got far more votes than the 298 Michael Gibson of the Poetry Party did.

The Poetry Party's aims and objectives are to look to the well-being of England and Englishness and especially the traditions of true English poetry.

Here's one of there better offerings:

God of the oyster
God of the pearl
God of the peach
And the peach-leaf curl
God of the moon
And the Man-in-the-Moon
And the cow-that-jumped over
God of the million three-leaved
The one-in-a-million four leaved clover
God of the thunder
God of the hush
God of the snail
God of the thrush
Tak! Tak! Tak!
Tak! Tak! Tak!

Rather than being charmed by this party I'm sure a man of your good taste would agree that this is not a patch on CllrJonG's famous beer poem. I do feel CllrJonG is missing a trick here. With a bit of encouragement and strong beer, CllrJonG could rival this Michael Gibson bloke and set up his own Whaley Bridge Poetry Party. With a good wind behind him and a belly full of ale, within the next five years we could see the first ever MP from Whaley Bridge (they've got one in Chapel).

You must admit JonG MP does have a ring to it.

So come on CllrJonG get down to the Goyt, ask Tony to ply you with Abbott Ale and show us what you've got.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#60 Posted : 14 May 2010 21:33:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

HE,

As always; simply brilliant.

If I owned a hat I would take it off to you.

But wait; there is more to come on this thread tomorrow about another member of the Whaley Eleven.

And even the member himself just may reply to us when and if he reads it.

He certainly won’t expect it.

R. S-S