logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#21 Posted : 17 January 2010 20:03:58(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

Hello Fr Jamie

I was going to keep out of this "discussion" but I have to agree with the points you raise. When posting on this site we have to remember that it isn't only the people living in Whaley Bridge who are able to read the posts - that's what the World Wide Web is all about !! (And, of course, I do not live in Whaley Bridge !)

SNOOPY, you may feel you have issues with postings on this site but I think you need to remember that without these postings the forum would be DEAD.

You intimate that contributors have more than one username - I doubt this very much after the last "altercation" when the moderators highlighted the postings under duplicate usernames. (As Cllr. Jon said the mods have access to the IP addresses from where the postings are made, so having dual usernames is a little pointless ).  Feel free to report to the mods those people you believe are using multiple usernames and I am sure they will do the decent thing.

If you have problems with the points of view expressed on this forum, would it not be better to put your point of view forward instead of just ranting about individuals who have posted.

Don't make personal criticisms - make constructive contributions to the forum - it is usually known as DEBATE - and of course, not every country is afforded this luxury. I am sorry you are not happy with the way the forum is going but please don't make your criticisms personal, just be happy that people bother to post at all.

Best wishes

Gnats

Edited by user 17 January 2010 20:06:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frjamie@talktalk.net  
#22 Posted : 17 January 2010 20:23:38(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Dear Gnats,

Many thanks for your kind words.

Hope all is well

Fr Jamie

Whaley Hall

snoopy  
#23 Posted : 17 January 2010 22:12:53(UTC)
snoopy

As usual my post has been ignored, I still don't know

On the 5th October 2009 at 22.51pm you said the second part of Dora's contribution is off topic, can mods please split the post and start a new tread or remove it.  ( Your Words Mr Snoopy ).

has to do with it. They were my words yes I agree but AGAIN I say what is it to do with this subject?

I know of 2 posts that have been deleted in the past week, as usual no explanation, does this remind you of China? They were not important but it would be common manners to explain.

By the way IP addresses that use wireless conections (not internal wireless to a router) but dongles usually from laptops do not have the same address, I know cos mine is so don't believe that every person has the same address, more on that later.

CllrJonG  
#24 Posted : 18 January 2010 00:01:11(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

I have a great deal of time for R.S.S , but his earlier comments regarding Jake in his last post were not just insensitive, but completely out of order, and i have removed them.. Whatever points he wishes to make regarding the way councillors choose to  use, or not use this forum can be made without  resorting to this.

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
snoopy  
#25 Posted : 18 January 2010 07:42:25(UTC)
snoopy

CllrJonG wrote:

I have a great deal of time for R.S.S , but his earlier comments regarding Jake in his last post were not just insensitive, but completely out of order, and i have removed them.. Whatever points he wishes to make regarding the way councillors choose to  use, or not use this forum can be made without  resorting to this.

Jon.

Some admission of censorship. How about stating why G. Jackson and my posts was removed last week?  

Also this was said earlier

This website is seen by lots of people who don't  always live in Whaley Bridge, but are perhaps looking at starting a business here, or moving here.

( Not forgetting that some of our younger generation see this Web Site in  their Schools ).

Then without being a prude why has the photograph called "Snow couple" been allowed to stay, or is there rules for some and rules for others? It would be nice to have an equal level of censorship.  

Also

Gnats said

If you have problems with the points of view expressed on this forum, would it not be better to put your point of view forward instead of just ranting about individuals who have posted.

Can you tell me the individuals I am ranting about and how I have made it personal?

Edited by user 18 January 2010 08:19:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

lord cornflake  
#26 Posted : 18 January 2010 15:44:30(UTC)
lord cornflake

Taxi for Snoopy.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#27 Posted : 18 January 2010 18:07:13(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Snoopy Post 25:

"Can you tell me the individuals I am ranting about and how I have made it personal?"

You very much made it personal in your post no 15 on here when you said the following:

Snoopy Post 15:

"So, I am sorry to say, why should anyone take this site seriously. It is edited a lot and many "members" are just a bunch of liars."

I obviously need to ask you again. Who exactly has membership to this “bunch of liars” club?

Me, Fedup, Cllr Jon, Horwich Ender, Gnatalee, Over the Hill, Bob Bowker, Rock Banker, Frankie, Fr Jamie, High Peak Harry, Parabuild, Neil Shaw, Lord Cornflake or maybe it’s George.

If it is any one of the above or the many I have not even mentioned can you let us know which lies the liars have told and in which post and on what topic.

Thank you.

R. S-S
Web Watcher  
#28 Posted : 18 January 2010 18:57:53(UTC)
Web Watcher

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think I may have said this before but I think the picture of the "snow couple" in inappropiate and I am surprised that it was not removed. It's not just adults who visit the forum and I'm not a prude in anyway but it's not in the same league as the other pictures which were posted showing the beautiful scenes during our period of snow.
snoopy  
#29 Posted : 18 January 2010 19:08:30(UTC)
snoopy

Web Watcher wrote:
I think I may have said this before but I think the picture of the "snow couple" in inappropiate and I am surprised that it was not removed. It's not just adults who visit the forum and I'm not a prude in anyway but it's not in the same league as the other pictures which were posted showing the beautiful scenes during our period of snow.

Interesting to see if it is removed now somone else has requested it.

Still waiting for my questions to be answered before I answer the questions levelled at me. This could take a bit so don't watch this space.

Fedup  
#30 Posted : 18 January 2010 20:43:26(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

CllrJonG wrote:

Jon.

Actually CllrJon, I knew Jake well for many, many years, and let me assure you that he would not have regarded R.S-S's comments as "insensitive", nor would he have asked to have them removed.  Indeed, he himself said that people with thin skins should never stand for public office, and if you put yourself into the public eye, you should expect and accept some rotten egg throwing and criticism.

Please do not  transfer your sensitivities onto other people.

The comments were not derogatory or insulting in any way, and I cannot understand why you removed them.

Jake was a lovely chap, with the same foibles and faults as any other normal human being.  But "petty" and "nit-picking" was never, ever in his character.

Gnatalee  
#31 Posted : 18 January 2010 20:47:57(UTC)
Gnatalee

Snoopy

In answer to your posting no.23:

"By the way IP addresses that use wireless conections (not internal wireless to a router) but dongles usually from laptops do not have the same address, I know cos mine is so don't believe that every person has the same address, more on that later."

You obviously know more than me so what's to say that you don't have more than one identity - we wouldn't know then would we ?  You have referred to people posting on this web as liars and, by not naming those people, you have labelled ALL posters as liars (thus making it personal).  I have only one identity and I am not a LIAR.

We are a small group and you have included everyone one of us in your accusation.

I'm sorry Snoopy, but while you are obviously entitled to have your say, your method of going about it is unhelpful to the forum. If you feel so strongly about postings on the site, then complain to the moderators. If you want to involve yourself in a discussion then perhaps you shoud be a little less confrontational.

I will not be posting on this subject again - I've better things to do with my time.

Best wishes

Gnats

Edited by user 18 January 2010 20:56:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#32 Posted : 18 January 2010 21:06:50(UTC)
Fedup

Just a quick point Snoopy. All my posts are "edited". Not being so technically favoured as yourself, that is the only way I can increase the size of the wording in my posts, to enable an easier read for those members whose eyes are no longer as young as their souls are. I can assure you that I don't edit my posts for any other reason, and believe me, I have only ever posted under the name of Fedup, and will continue to do so.

We went through all this on the old Forum - do we have to go through it all again?

Edited by user 18 January 2010 21:07:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snoopy  
#33 Posted : 18 January 2010 22:30:06(UTC)
snoopy

Fedup wrote:

Just a quick point Snoopy. All my posts are "edited". Not being so technically favoured as yourself, that is the only way I can increase the size of the wording in my posts, to enable an easier read for those members whose eyes are no longer as young as their souls are. I can assure you that I don't edit my posts for any other reason, and believe me, I have only ever posted under the name of Fedup, and will continue to do so.

We went through all this on the old Forum - do we have to go through it all again?

No problem there Fedup. I usually edit my posts to remove as many spelling mistakes as I can find!!

It's the censorship I don't like.

Internet tip or whatever. If you use internet explorer (i.e. Microsoft) and you want smaller or bigger letters:-

Press Ctrl key (bottom left) and + or - (top row after 0) to make words etc bigger/smaller etc.

Web Watcher  
#34 Posted : 19 January 2010 08:46:47(UTC)
Web Watcher

As someone who visits the "Discussion Forum" daily and contibutes quite regularly (as I see appropiate) I am concerned that we are experiencing the same problems as we had before the forum was re-vamped.
I only have one IP address as I only post as Web Watcher (I also used this name on the old forum) - are people really using more than one? If so, why?

I'm not in total agreement with the "moderators" editing or deleting posts but I am aware that sometimes this has to be done, topics have been rightly closed when the "discussion" turned into a personal slanging match.

Can we please get back to what the "Discussion Forum" is designed to achieve - discussions about matters which relate to Whaley Bridge with contributions form those who live here, or close by where the information is both informative and appropiate? My fear at the moment is that the whole thing will end up being closed down.

Edited by user 19 January 2010 08:49:12(UTC)  | Reason: We all know my spelling is deadful!!

george  
#35 Posted : 19 January 2010 09:02:35(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hear,hear web watcher

george

Fedup  
#36 Posted : 19 January 2010 18:41:03(UTC)
Fedup

Thank you Snoopy - but I've just tried and it doesn't work. Could be me .......probably is!

Edited by user 19 January 2010 18:41:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Whaley Wanderer  
#37 Posted : 19 January 2010 19:37:39(UTC)
Whaley Wanderer

CllrJonG wrote:

Jon.

If the message that RSS was as dreadful as you've made out then by all means use your 'power' to have the offending material removed, however would it not be more suitable to send a private message to RSS to explain why you have taken such action.

By making a public declaration like you have done puts him in bad light ( and as the offending material has been removed we can't judge whether thats justifiable or not).  Don't think that this is suitable behaviour for a councillor but no doubt you can have this post removed and make a comment about me being out of order for citing such opinions.

snoopy  
#38 Posted : 19 January 2010 19:42:53(UTC)
snoopy

Fedup, sorry is doesn't work, not sure why it doesn't. Maybe others could try and report back.

There is no reason this forum should shut down, it is being blown out of proportion a bit.

People will not use more than one IP address on purpose, it just happens and most people either don't know, don't care and really have no control. So it really should be ignored.

I just wish we had some come back on censorship from the powers that be. To delete post with no reason, and change them is annoying. One of mine was changed a month or so back and it changed the total theme and I find that irksome!

parabuild  
#39 Posted : 19 January 2010 20:12:12(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Fedup

Ctrl and +/-  should function as a zoom facility on your browser unless you have an older version installed.  Try updating your browser as you will find all sorts of new and useful features.  It is probably not a good time to install Internet Explorer as there are currently serious security concerns.  Try Firefox which can be downloaded free of charge from the following address.  It is considered to be a superior and more secure browser.

www.mozilla.com/en-US/

tyke  
#40 Posted : 20 January 2010 07:54:58(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Ctrl (keyboard) and the scroll wheel on the mouse works as well ..... at least it works on firefox (which I would recommend to everyone particularly if they use secure pages) If you want to get back to the default use ctrl and 0 (Zero)