logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

23 Pages«<1617181920>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Curious  
#341 Posted : 05 September 2011 20:28:18(UTC)
Curious

Groups: Member
Woman

My post is still there - see #315.  Not sure which photos of 28 Chapel Road and the Conservative Club Lady M means though?  Maybe there's too much plonk being consumed up here in the cheap seats but I can't remember seeing said photos on here.

Mrs C

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#342 Posted : 07 September 2011 18:18:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

A very good evening to you HE,

I have just been looking through some old mining documents that I have and found the following plan.

The reason I have posted it on your magnificent thread which is now flying towards the 30,000 viewings mark is not to increase those figures nor to start going on about coal mining but have a look at it HE.

No a bit closer than that.

I agree it is rather confusing but we can certainly recognise Whaley Lane.

Hadfield Pit must certainly be close to Hadfield Fold on Whaley Lane and I think Wheel Pit is either in or close to Toddbrook Reservoir (I shall check that for you later).

But the bit that will no doubt interest you as well as Lady Madonna is that two properties are indicated on Whaley Lane: Whaley House and a property called Bulshead. Maybe a spelling mistake, I don’t know.

Now we don’t want to jump the gun here but is this The Bull’s Head that was mentioned in The Murder Stone thread.
At this point I shall leave this mystery in your capable hands. You have shown on numerous occasions your ability as a budding detective and solved many a case too difficult for us lesser mortals to get to the bottom of.

I very much doubt if a photo will be forthcoming of this establishment although I have still got the very old Horwich End pub photo up my sleeve for your future delight.

I look forward to reading your case summary.

R. S-S

Norm,
Once again could I ask you to capture the image and I will delete mine so that nothing goes missing?
Thanks.

R. S-S

Edited by user 08 September 2011 18:43:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#343 Posted : 07 September 2011 18:26:27(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Norm attached the following image(s):
6123948403_dccbcfa020_z.jpg
RockBanker  
#344 Posted : 07 September 2011 21:10:44(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

A fairly confusing map indeed R-SS. The 1880's 1:2500 OS map shows coal pits to the east of Hadfield fold (presumably the "Hadfield" pit) and at the bottom of Hurst Clough near Reservoir Road (presumably the "Hurst" pit), but these locations do not match the map you have shown very well. Do you have a date and provenance for this map? 

RB

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
buggyite  
#345 Posted : 07 September 2011 22:02:35(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Being a mine plan, I did wonder if the vertical axis represented depth, rather than the more usual east-west or north-south that one would expect on a normal map.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
RockBanker  
#346 Posted : 07 September 2011 22:05:16(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Very possible

RockBanker  
#347 Posted : 08 September 2011 07:29:49(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

If we were to assume as a hypothesis that

(a) The map is a vertical section

(b) That the Hurst pit is the one shown on the 1880's map at the bottom of  Hurst Clough

then the "Bulls Head" must have been at an altitude lower than that of the reservoir, so very much at the bottom of Whaley Lane (but higher than the Wheel Pit and "Whaley House")

The question also arises as to why have the "Bulls Head" and "Whaley House" marked on a vertical section? Perhaps it was because they had a known elevation? Does anyone know if there are any benchmarked buildings on Whaley Lane? 

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#348 Posted : 08 September 2011 13:48:12(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Rock Banker and Buggyite,

The document is from within a bundle dated 1738 there is no need to doubt its authenticity.

As I was not around in 1738 (surprisingly you may think) I am no expert in how working and layout drawings were produced but; I think the Whaley Lane bit is obviously a plan and the pits appear to be a section through.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful than that.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#349 Posted : 08 September 2011 13:57:51(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Thanks for the clarification R-SS, much earlier than I thought.

Edited by user 08 September 2011 14:51:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Horwich Ender  
#350 Posted : 08 September 2011 17:13:55(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon R. S-S

As usual another very interesting post (#342). I must admit I can't totally understand the plan but what is clear is there was a “Bulshead” in the Whaley Lane area in 1738.

I think we can rule out this building as being the Bull's Head mentioned in the Murder Stone thread because the location of the pub that John Johnson lived near has been identified as 92 & 94 Buxton Old Road Higher Disley. It ceased being licensed premises in 1829 when it's license was transferred to the White Lion in Disley.

The other buildings that have been identified as former pubs are 5/7 Stoneheads, a property on Start Lane and a property on Whaley Lane.

5/7 Stoneheads was definitely a pub but we are unsure of what it was called. The names that have been mentioned are the Bull, Soldier Dick, Swan and Whaley Inn.

Sessions Rolls of 1782 indicated there was a pub on Whaley Hill (now Whaley Lane) and identified it as “Whaley Inn.”

There was also a pub on Start Lane called the Coach and Horses and it has been stated that this was previously called the Bull's Head.

Mrs Swan's Beerhouse was also on Whaley Lane.

All the evidence indicates that there was definitely a pub in the Whaley Lane area that was once called the Bull's Head. It's probable that the pub was one of the following but at this moment in time I don't think we can be certain which one it was:

5/7 Stoneheads.

The former Coach and Horses on Start Lane.

Mrs Swan's Beerhouse.

Let's hope somebody else has more information to enable us to identify, without doubt, where the Bull's Head was located. 

G. Jackson  
#351 Posted : 08 September 2011 17:45:35(UTC)
G. Jackson

The house at the bottom of Whaley Lane is quite substantial and it looks as if it could have been a hotel at one time possibly

Edited by user 08 September 2011 17:48:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#352 Posted : 08 September 2011 17:50:20(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Please keep up at the back.

It was the turnpike Toll House.

R. S-S
gritch  
#353 Posted : 08 September 2011 21:22:37(UTC)
gritch

Further to Horwich Ender's post All the evidence indicates that there was definitely a pub in the Whaley Lane area that was once called the Bull's Head. It's probable that the pub was one of the following but at this moment in time I don't think we can be certain which one it was:

5/7 Stoneheads.      The former Coach and Horses on Start Lane.    Mrs Swan's Beerhouse.

Let's hope somebody else has more information to enable us to identify, without doubt, where the Bull's Head was located

Searching the internet I found the attached pdf document relating to "Whaley Bridge Chapel en le Frith and New Mills Conservation areas". I have reduced the file size to enable you all to see what I found within the document  which I think is relevant to this query. You will see on page 2 it refers to "area 3 Whaley Lane and Reservoir Road" and on page 16 it mentions the "Bull's Head dating from 1550". It does not say exactly where the Bull's Head was but clearly shows there is a house still standing that was once the Bull's Head. Hope this helps in some way.

Gail

File Attachment(s):
Whaley Bridge Conservation Areas.pdf (207kb) downloaded 73 time(s).
RockBanker  
#354 Posted : 09 September 2011 05:33:31(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Excellent Gail, so we are looking for a much altered old building just ouside of the area marked on this map..

http://www.highpeak.gov.uk/planning/conservation/WhaleyBridgeCAmap.pdf

which might lead us here ?

http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.330194,-1.98639&spn=0.000013,0.013036&t=m&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.330198,-1.986477&panoid=-TgOcKdqrxrI-YWt_5dT1g&cbp=12,157.42,,0,-5.99

Edited by user 09 September 2011 05:55:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gritch  
#355 Posted : 09 September 2011 10:49:06(UTC)
gritch

Hello RockBanker,

Having studied the map of the conservation area and the 'vertical setion map' sumitted by R.S-S, which clearly shows 'Hadfield' to the left of the 'Bull's Head',[looking at it from the Whaley Lane aspect] likewise the conservation area map , I have to agree with you that the house you show on google street view is, indeed, a very possible candidate for the elusive 'Bull's Head'. I think you have hit the nail on the head!

What do others think?

Edited by user 09 September 2011 11:08:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sfmans  
#356 Posted : 09 September 2011 14:21:47(UTC)
sfmans

Man

Sorry to be a nay-sayer, but I don't think the house shown on Rockbanker's link to Google Maps is the same building as the one circled on gritch's map ....

The building on rockbanker's map is opposite the Whaley Lane / Jodrell Road junction - however the building circled on gritch's map is to the west and uphill of the Whaley Lane / Hockerley Lane junction (which is the road coming down onto Whaley Lane through the W of 'Whaley' on the map).

I'd suggest gritch's building is more likely to be one of the ones that back on to the cow field.

None of which gets us any closer to the mysterious Bulls Head, sadly ...
gritch  
#357 Posted : 09 September 2011 15:09:18(UTC)
gritch

That's ok.... I might have been a bit presumptuous with the map ! Therefore I have taken it off. But I think the house shown in RockBanker's post is a prime candidate.

Edited by user 09 September 2011 15:27:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gritch  
#358 Posted : 10 September 2011 11:24:26(UTC)
gritch

Further to the Bull's Head enquiry:  

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/TwinMaps.aspx?singleplot=EDT_448-2*367*EDT_448-1&singlesrch=st.1!n.jodrell!x.0

and a visit to the Whaley Bridge page land tax assessments on  www.disley.net will show the Bull's head with it's owner and occupier.

Edited by user 10 September 2011 11:32:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Horwich Ender  
#359 Posted : 10 September 2011 19:52:42(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening.

There's some terrific investigative work being undertaken.

From the detail contained in the HPBC Conservation Area Planning Guide I think we can rule out 5/7 Stoneheads and the Coach and Horses on Start Lane as possible locations for the Bulls Head.

I'm not sure if we have found another former pub in Whaley but we are definitely getting closer to identifying the location of the Bulls Head.

Please keep up the excellent work it is greatly appreciated.

RockBanker  
#360 Posted : 10 September 2011 21:16:20(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Presumably the author(s) of the conservation area report that Gail posted know which building they mean, and must have obtained their information from somewhere. I notice they cite several sources (some of which I have in my library, which, alas at the moment is in a number of plastic tubs piled up in the spare room pending redecoration and are thus not easily found). Does anyone have a copy of Pevsner? I wonder if he mentions it.