logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

23 Pages«<1718192021>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gritch  
#361 Posted : 10 September 2011 21:20:08(UTC)
gritch

Groups: Member

re: an earlier post from HorwichEnder

'5/7 Stoneheads was definitely a pub but we are unsure of what it was called. The names that have been mentioned are the Bull, Soldier Dick, Swan and Whaley Inn. .....The other buildings that have been identified as former pubs are 5/7 Stoneheads, a property on Start Lane and a property on Whaley Lane.

take a look here.....http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/TwinMaps.aspx?singleplot=EDT_448-2*374*EDT_448-1&singlesrch=st.3!n.swan+inn!x.0!map.

shows plot number 374   name:   Swan Inn etc. 

and this one is interesting.....http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/TwinMaps.aspx?singleplot=EDT_448-2*365*EDT_448-1&singlesrch=st.3!n.cock!x.0!map.

Shows plot number 365   name:  Cock Inn, outbuildings, yards etc

Gail

shallcross  
#362 Posted : 11 September 2011 19:30:00(UTC)
shallcross

A big tick in the box for Cheshire Records office for putting searchable Tithe maps on line and a another big tick to Gail for putting links on the forum well done makes very interesting reading although I bet Derbyshire Tithes are not available in the same way.

Shallcross
gritch  
#363 Posted : 13 September 2011 16:00:13(UTC)
gritch

Last week, I contacted the John Rylands Library regarding the Bull's Head and today received the following reply which might be of interest to some......

".....consulted the Jodrell Muniments, and found two references to the Bull’s Head. Richard Gaskell is listed as the tenant of the Bull’s Head in an undated 18th-century rental, at a rent of £8 14s (ref. no. 300). ‘Bull’s Head house’ is also mentioned in a property valuation list, roughly contemporary with the first document, where it is valued at £42 5s (ref. no. 301). No further information is given. The archive is fairly small, and largely consists of deeds and legal documents."

Gail

Horwich Ender  
#364 Posted : 15 September 2011 18:50:42(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good evening Gail.

This is great work. Please keep digging.

Your efforts are very much appreciated.

gritch  
#365 Posted : 16 September 2011 00:18:42(UTC)
gritch

Alas, HorwichEnder, I think I have dug as deep as I can go - I have hit rock-bottom! But thanks for your praise.
I can tell you that, after consulting the Nat. Archives currency converter, and taking a date of 1780 as an approximate timeline for the valuation mentioned in my previous post, £42 5s 0d would have the same value of £2,655.41p. as in 2005.(the converter only goes to that year)

What we do know from the land tax assessments, is that the Bull's Head was occupied by John Mellor from 1784, so Richard Gaskell would have been tenant prior to this date.

I did find a Richard Gaskell chr 8 Jun 1673, at Taxal, parents - John and Eline Gaskell. Whether or not  he is the same Richard Gaskell who had tenancy of the 'Bull's Head' in the 18th century, I cannot say. At the very least, he could well be a son, and maybe an ancestor of Richard Gaskell landowner, mentioned in Bagshaw's directory 1850, owner of the Railway pit and other lands around Hockerley occupied by Joseph Wilde.
see
http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/TwinMaps.aspx?srch=st.2!owf.richard!ows.gaskell!ocf.!ocs.!x.0!psh.!map.EDT+448%2f2

In Bagshaw's directory 1850, Ann Johnson is registered as having a beer house, Whaley-cum-Yerdsley (sic) so this could well be the 'Swan' and knowing John Johnson was the occupier from 1828-1836 from the land tax assessments, Ann Johnson may be his widow.

Gail

ps.Contacted Cheshire Archives regarding the 'Leases of Yeardsley demesne'  date: 1665-1679 and the 'Survey of Yeardsley Estate'  date: c.1849  which includes Swann Inn, Orchard Field Farm and Jodrell Arms and for anything else which might mention the  "Bull's Head" and the "Swan(n) Inn".
I will inform of any reply received.

Edited by user 17 September 2011 21:30:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

JonG  
#366 Posted : 18 September 2011 14:25:38(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi,

A foum member has kindly sent through two further pictures of Whaley pubs - The Jodrell Arms, and the New Inn. The New Inn was where I first played pool, some 23 years ago. I havn't really improved since. Note the ashphalt over the Jodrell car park.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 18 September 2011 15:45:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

JonG attached the following image(s):
jodrellarms.jpg
newinn.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Lady Madonna  
#367 Posted : 20 September 2011 01:47:58(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi Jon,
Must have served your pint & given you change for the table!!
Lady M.
JonG  
#368 Posted : 20 September 2011 20:11:37(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi Lady M,

All for under a pound I think. ! Those were the days!

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#369 Posted : 21 September 2011 09:45:47(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Lady Madonna wrote:
Hi Jon,
Must have served your pint & given you change for the table!!
Lady M.

Good morning My Lady,

I have been away for a few days, no not to the Priory or anywhere remotely like that, and whilst I was away my mind sometimes returned me to this forum and especially to some of the contributors.
And since your marvellous poem my thoughts have been on you.

But what happens on my return?

Almost the first thing I see is that you have placed yourself behind the bar at The New Inn and what is more  it was 23 years ago.
I suppose the only redeeming aspect of this admission is that you were actually behind the bar and not propping it up. Then again perhaps you could prop it up from the other side; something I would not know never having been behind a bar.
And not very often in front of one come to that despite Horwich Ender’s suspicions and veiled accusations.

Now as you know I am quite fond of the history around here and I like to get things into a chronological order so it would be helpful for me to know if you were a mere serving wench before the Good Lord Madonna snatched you from, what appears to have been, a downwards spiral.

Surely the landed gentry wouldn’t have taken to themselves a bride and then allowed her to become some sort of bar bimbo making small talk with the semi drunks and besotted wretches of Horwich End?
Sorry about that bit Jon. I hope it did not offend you.

Anyway My Lady which ever way around your life evolved we can now be certain how you became hopelessly addicted to late night drinking sessions.

One other thing has occurred to me and that is your apparent mission to change the face of Horwich End.
Firstly you tell us that the 2 cottages next to the Conservative Club on Chapel Road had to be demolished and now we have you in the New Inn and that has been taken from the drinking public and replaced with some sort of second hand furniture shop which is no use to anybody.
What other properties in Horwich End have you exerted your influence over?
And please don’t mention the gas works.

R. S-S

HE,

Almost at the 30,000 mark and when I post my photo of an old pub in Horwich End shortly I can almost guarantee a vast increase in viewings. In fact be careful your computer doesn’t blow up.
moogie  
#370 Posted : 21 September 2011 11:40:21(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Elmo  
#371 Posted : 21 September 2011 12:45:04(UTC)
Elmo

I was going to mention that, but you beat me to it ;-)

I'll bid for it too, unless someone else says they are going to.

Edited by user 21 September 2011 12:47:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Elmo attached the following image(s):
Bugsworth_b51_Yellow_Cat_enlarged.JPG
Bugsworth_b51_Gnat_Hole_and_Yellow_Cat.JPG
Lady Madonna  
#372 Posted : 22 September 2011 02:27:29(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi R S-S,
Glad you are back on top form, I think!
In answer to your questions in a purely historical context, yes I was a serving wench when I met his lordship, you know what they say about the upper-class and their frolicking with the lower classes, I so wanted to be a Mistress but he wouldn't hear of such things and made an honest woman of me!!
With regard to the New Inn although I worked there I was a patron of Nan & Ivan's when it was the Jolly Roger, once leaving my furry purse with my school bus pass in it only to be met the following morning by Nan at the school bus stop! hence my downward spiral started at a young age, the saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks springs to mind.
Lastly not mentioning the Gas Works but somewhere near by, the Air-raid shelter I played in as a child has now been sealed up and the outside toilet at my friends home was demolished.
I also worked in the Chimes now a private house, Anisca now flats, Park Cafe now a house, IS IT ME!!!

Blonde hair, Alas, Reqires help, Brazenly, Intaking, More, Booze, Overnight
Lady M.

Edited by user 22 September 2011 02:35:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#373 Posted : 22 September 2011 08:20:32(UTC)
G. Jackson

The mention of the landlord Ivan at the New Inn/Jolly Roger brought back lots of memories to me. Whilst playing dominoes in the tap room on the right there was a strong smell of burning, similar to wool smouldering. Everyone looked and assured the rest that it wasn't their problem. After another minute or so it got that bad and after another search for the smouldering we found it was the trousers and false leg of Ivan burning away. He still used the leg but did eventually get a replacement.

After Ivan died I went into the tap room every night and usually went home about midnight leaving the same 4 people in every night.I won't say who they were but if they are reading this they will all remember.Joan would serve well past the normal closing time of 10.30 if occasionally you bought her and her mother a drink. I once said to my wife that I was going to stay in the bar until they close just to see what time they did eventually close. I staggered home about 3 o'clock still leaving the normal 4 in the bar which had not closed but I couldn't take any more.

buggyite  
#374 Posted : 22 September 2011 08:49:35(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Elmo and Moogie,

I also noticed this on e-bay and was going to have bid, but if either of you would like it, I will refrain from bidding, so as not to push the price up too much.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
Elmo  
#375 Posted : 22 September 2011 08:56:00(UTC)
Elmo

buggyite wrote:

Elmo and Moogie,

I also noticed this on e-bay and was going to have bid, but if either of you would like it, I will refrain from bidding, so as not to push the price up too much.

There is a first bid now and it isn't me.

Cheers Elmo
buggyite  
#376 Posted : 22 September 2011 10:17:00(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Elmo,

Not me either, but they are also bidding on

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250895147154

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180725915705?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If its not Moogie, I will have a go on the book, and leave one of you to get the Yellow Cat postcard :)

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#377 Posted : 22 September 2011 13:26:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I am bidding on the post card.

Eventually I shall give all my records, memorabilia and photos to the people of Whaley Bridge; probably via Jon Goldfinch

R. S-S
moogie  
#378 Posted : 22 September 2011 13:44:42(UTC)
moogie

Im not bidding....still after my elusive pic of rosey bank that elmo highlighted!!!

a long and seemingly fruitless search!!

moogie  
#379 Posted : 22 September 2011 13:50:22(UTC)
moogie

aha......i was deffo goin to bid on this tho

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180725915705?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

to go with my BuggyHall book.......

so if it is one of us........I will end up in a bidding war.....as i dont want to let it go....is it anyone?.....

many thanks

moogie  
#380 Posted : 22 September 2011 13:55:33(UTC)
moogie

blimey......i may end up busking in the basin at this rate.....

anyone know whats in this book?...

moogie attached the following image(s):
Capture.JPG