logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pensionman  
#21 Posted : 23 June 2013 16:51:36(UTC)
pensionman

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
If it is £5,000, how was this funded?
Kippax  
#22 Posted : 26 June 2013 10:52:30(UTC)
Kippax

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
At the end of the day someone will have wasted thousands of pounds on a scheme that is absolutely ridiculous. That money could have been spent on numerous better projects, but yet people still decide to troll the public and spend it on feckless schemes. Complete stupidity if you ask me. At the end of the day it will probably be vandalised! Confirmation is awaited of the total cost of the project and where the funds to pay for this crackpot idea have come from.
pensionman  
#23 Posted : 26 June 2013 11:58:48(UTC)
pensionman

Say exactly how you feel about this Kippax!
JonG  
#24 Posted : 26 June 2013 11:59:17(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi,
Please see the W4W site at http://www.whaleybridge.com/whaley4wards/

Feel free to attend and to suggest some of the projects you have in mind.You could make your suggestions here if you wish as well.

It would be a dull and boring world if nothing was ever done for fear of potential vandalism. We have to expect that there will be petty vandalism from time to time, but that cannot be the sole reason for deciding whether to go ahead with a project or not. It is generally understood that when areas are run down and in decay, then it tends to attract the sort of problems I think you have in mind. Improving the place that we live in helps to reduce these sort of problems.

The telephone box project is part of a wider regeneration project to tidy up the corner of the Jodrell carpark at the centre of the town, and provide a heritage point in it. I think it has been very successful in this respect. The main work has now been completed, but some minor finishing off  still has to be done.  The telephone box is not the only project that W4W is involved with. Regeneration funding comes from HPBC to be spent on eligible regeneration projects, and is match funded by the town council.. Total project cost is around £6000. This includes the clearing and laying of  stone flags in that area of the carpark, drainage, movement of fittings, replacement and extension of the railings, and of course the renovation and refitting of the telephone box, which originally came from Bings Road. There was considerable volunteer effort involved in the project as well. The work is at the heart of the conservation area of the town, so it was important that it was carried out in character.

W4W is always looking for new regeneration projects that can be achieved in a relatively short time-frame. If the publicity, positive or negative, around the telephone box project serves to galvanize people into thinking about and providing ideas for further regeneration projects which we can get our teeth into, then that would be great.W4W is always after new volunteers as well, and we would be very glad to welcome anyone who wants to get involved and hopefully see their ideas come to fruition.

Note that not all the ideas that people may have will be eligible for regeneration funding. Some project ideas may be things which are the responsibility of HPBC or DCC. Some ideas may involve land or structures in private ownership. Some ideas may simply be too costly or too long-term for the group to consider. However, let's have the ideas first and then see if we can put them into action. If it cant be done by W4W, then we may be able, through the Town Council , to get it done via different routes, which could include grant applications, the petitioning of the responsible party, and so on.

Cheers

Jon.
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
thanks 1 user thanked JonG for this useful post.
Whaley Laner on 03/07/2013(UTC)
Whaley Laner  
#25 Posted : 03 July 2013 09:37:24(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Thank you for the information Jon. The total project cost of £6,000 does appear excessive. Was this the budget figure or did costs spiral once the decision to move the phone box had been taken?
Whaley Laner  
#26 Posted : 21 July 2013 12:19:22(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Originally Posted by: JonG Go to Quoted Post

W4W is always looking for new regeneration projects that can be achieved in a relatively short time-frame.

I would like to suggest the small garden next to the railway bridge on the corner of Whaley Lane and Reservoir Road. This is now very overgrown and has become an eyesore. I'm sure this area could be cleared in a relatively short time-frame and with care and minimum cost could be transformed into an attractive feature in the conservation area. The railings surrounding the garden would protect it from petty vandalism.

JonG  
#27 Posted : 29 July 2013 00:09:27(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hi WL,
If you mean the patch of land on the right hand side, just after you go under the bridge from Market street and bear right up the short hill before turning sharp left up Whaley lane, then the land on the right is owned by Network Rail I believe.
I would agree with you that there is an opportunity to improve that area. Clearly it is an area of land that is extremely difficult to get to and maintain on a regular basis, so with that in mind what do you- or people (or knowledgeable gardeners) suggest could be done there that might require the absolute minimum maintenance, but still improve  the view? Should it grow wild as it is- be paved- or graveled - or have plants(and what should these be?) etc... thoughts? The 'Friends of Whaley Bridge Station'  group talk to Network Rail on a regular basis and were instrumental in all the recent amazing major improvements to the station, and I am sure they would be interested in ideas that they could pass on.
Cheers

Jon.
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Whaley Laner  
#28 Posted : 25 August 2013 12:39:02(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Hi Jon

Has a decision been made regarding the garden on Whaley Lane/Reservoir Road? Action has certainly been taken with the overgrown area now cleared and already looking much better. I do believe this area has the potential to be an attractive feature of the conservation area and would cost a fraction of the £6,000 that has been spent on moving the red phone box from Bings Road to the Station Car Park.

pensionman  
#29 Posted : 26 August 2013 18:12:04(UTC)
pensionman

£6,000 still rankles me. Besides being a public toilet late at night by the drunks of the village, does the 'information' booth function?
Kippax  
#30 Posted : 29 August 2013 11:42:11(UTC)
Kippax

Barry Rudd was very quick to point out the cost to buy the phone box was £1. John Goldfinch has now confirmed the total cost of the project was around £6,000. I'm very interested to see where the other £5,999 has been spent and although Barry Rudd has stated the costings are available for all to see, I'm struggling to find them. Please can someone let us have a detailed breakdown of where local taxpayers money has been spent on this project, or tell us where it can be found. 

Jack  
#31 Posted : 30 August 2013 08:08:58(UTC)
Jack

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Dont think youll get a reply from Barry Rudd hes gone to his facebook site which is as boring as the history forum on this site has become.

Whaley Laner  
#32 Posted : 22 September 2013 12:41:31(UTC)
Whaley Laner

What has happened to JonG? I asked him a question on 25 August and he still hasn't replied. I don't think he's posted on this forum since July which is most unlike Jon. I hope he's ok.

Jack  
#33 Posted : 23 September 2013 11:28:29(UTC)
Jack

Its all gone very quiet since the question of whats happened to the £6,000 was asked
Horwich Ender  
#34 Posted : 23 September 2013 19:57:46(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening.

The Whaley4Wards web page tells us the driving forces behind the Red Telephone Box / Information Point project are Prospective Councillor Barry Rudd, Councillor Jon Goldfinch, Town Clerk Stephanie Raybould and Councillor Martin Thomas.

We know at least three of the project leaders are members of this forum and therefore it is not unreasonable to expect that the answers to the questions raised are posted on this site.

Whaley Laner  
#35 Posted : 12 October 2013 11:32:02(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Has the metal engraving which was designed by local primary school children and was mounted on the railings at the bottom of the Jodrell Arms car park been stolen?
Kippax  
#36 Posted : 22 October 2013 11:14:17(UTC)
Kippax

Originally Posted by: Kippax Go to Quoted Post

Barry Rudd was very quick to point out the cost to buy the phone box was £1. John Goldfinch has now confirmed the total cost of the project was around £6,000. I'm very interested to see where the other £5,999 has been spent and although Barry Rudd has stated the costings are available for all to see, I'm struggling to find them. Please can someone let us have a detailed breakdown of where local taxpayers money has been spent on this project, or tell us where it can be found. 

Still no answer. Where has the money gone? 
Jack  
#37 Posted : 30 October 2013 12:04:40(UTC)
Jack

Still no answer. Where has the money gone? 

Didn't you know whaley4wards work on a mushroom strategy ....................KEEP THEM IN THE DARK AND FEED THEM ON **** 
Horwich Ender  
#38 Posted : 02 November 2013 10:48:38(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Originally Posted by: UnrealCity Go to Quoted Post
Yes, the box should be lifted into place sometime Thursday morning. The target is 10.30 am, but if additional equipment is needed, it will be a bit later. The intention is then to fit paving around it, return the signs, waste bin and totem; and install a seat. The door will be fitted later, and new glazing. The door will be kept locked. A programme to fill the panes with info will commence sometime in June.

With reference to the Red Box perhaps UnrealCity could answer the following questions which were asked by pensionman on the “Censorship on this forum” thread:

Why did it cost so much to locate?

What does it do?

UnrealCity  
#39 Posted : 02 November 2013 16:39:01(UTC)
UnrealCity

Man

Hi, I am the secretary of the W4w community forum. The minutes are on this website. The box is intended to serve as a community information point, directing visitors to places to eat and drink, and shop. The box did indeed cost £1, on condition it is not resold. Reconditioned boxes have a much higher market value. The box cost something like £1,000 to be stripped down & repainted. The main expenditure was to reconfigure the street furniture in this corner of the car park, to lay a foundation to Network Rail spec, and to pave the area. This item was put out to tender. The winning tender was for something of the order of £3.5k. Further expenditure arose to paint the door and to reglaze the box, fit a lock & etc. The budget which is referred to above (approved by the Town Council) also includes a seat, and some art work which is still in course of production. We are still working out how to fit a suitable seat given the need to open the notice board behind. A notice in the next Town Newsletter invites businesses to advertise, initially for free. All this above expenditure is covered 50% by a grant from the Borough, and 50% by the Town Council.
Cllr Martin Thomas
Chair Whaley Bridge Town Council
Member for Yeardsley Ward
G. Jackson  
#40 Posted : 02 November 2013 19:11:19(UTC)
G. Jackson

Worth every penny! Isn't it easy to spend someone else's money. I think the people responsible should feel proud.
P.S. How many visitors to Whaley Bridge go to it thinking it's a working phone box?
Whatever information it contains could be displayed free on the notice boards outside the Mechanic's Institute where people would naturally look for information not in a phone box.
G.J.