logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BarryRudd  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2010 21:45:20(UTC)
BarryRudd

Groups: Member

Well apart from the Turtles Zed.. This year we announce for our star attraction that we have signed  ... Live and exclusive at the canal basin, for the first time ever in Whaley Bridge , on Saturday 12th June. 10.00 to 16.00, more cuddly than a pedigree Siberian Hamster.  Will you please welcome......all the way from Namibia..................

Edited by user 16 March 2010 07:24:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BarryRudd attached the following image(s):
060713_meerkat_01_widec.jpg
sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
BarryRudd  
#2 Posted : 15 March 2010 23:02:08(UTC)
BarryRudd

Yes folks

We have the Punch and Judy for the little un's-well the 21st century version-no trunchions and Linda McCartney Sausages

But this year we have managed to secure the "mini zoo" and as a special attraction paid for by a kind sponsor.. Meerkats.  I hope they will be a major attraction and you will all bring the children down to meet them.  There will be photo opportunities with all manner of creepy crawlies as well as more cuddly creatures and the chance to handle snakes and overcome phobia's. 

We will have the fun of the fairground with its hotdog and doughnut aroma's

We are working on more youth attractions....watch this space

There will be an early evening session on the main stage featuring local bands and an acoustic tent.

Still not too late to submit idea's which will all be considered

And definatley not to late to give me a hand with any of this

Cheers

w3@mobelec.co.uk

Edited by user 15 March 2010 23:08:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2010 22:18:25(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Will they be on leads ??

I would gladly help, but I've already given my body to the Well Dressers this year.

Cheers

Jon.

(only joking about the leads Fedup)

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Fedup  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2010 22:50:57(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

CllrJonG wrote:

I would gladly help, but I've already given my body to the Well Dressers this year.

If only CllrJonG, if only!

(Only joking!)

BarryRudd  
#5 Posted : 28 March 2010 16:16:23(UTC)
BarryRudd

Afternoon all

Some of you may be aware that we get a grant for the Water Weekend from the town council.  You may feel that as Council tax and business rate payers that you have more than done your bit.   The council grant is as generous as can be afforded and amounts to 29p per resident.

This leaves us to raise the remainder of our income from local business.  Most support the event by taking out an advert in the program or sponsoring an act.  Some have a craft stall for a very reasonable sum.

To give you an idea of expenditure: Insurance for the two days is over £400 and the cost of a stage, marquee, DJ and Punch and Judy more than uses up our grant.

We are offering FREE (or for 29p) Boat rides, Punch and Judy, brass bands, dancers, acoustic and rock music and possibly classical.  Morris dancers and the mini zoo, not to mention the Meerkats. Other attractions are yet to be confirmed.

We are asking you if local, to perform free of charge or support the event by taking out a advert or sponsoring something-your company banner could be in the background on the mayor's photo and on the website for eternity!

Thanks for your support

Barry Rudd W3 Secretary   w3@mobelec.co.uk

BarryRudd  
#6 Posted : 30 April 2010 22:44:18(UTC)
BarryRudd

Evening all

We have a last call for entertainers, stall holders and advertisers who wish to participate at this years June event.

We  are also requesting stewards and workers to help set up the site.  We are looking for people of all ages and abilities and hope to get representatives of all local organisations involved.  We are particularly keen for those that wanted us to extend the event into the evening to assist us now that we have done so.

Names please to w3@mobelec.co.uk     Commitment, three hours.  Reward, priceless

Thank you

Edited by user 30 April 2010 22:47:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BarryRudd  
#7 Posted : 30 April 2010 22:59:04(UTC)
BarryRudd

Hi all

We have trialled a big screen in the Mechanics Institute with success and intend to show a film in conjunction with the youth centre on Friday 11th June.

We also intend to show Englands opening game of the world cup against the USA for the U18's.

These showings are for local people and will not be advertised and are part of the new committee's attempt to make W3 an event for the whole community.

We will be informing local youth organisations but would be grateful if members who are parents would inform their offspring

Thank you

Barry Rudd w3@mobelec.co.uk

BarryRudd  
#8 Posted : 12 May 2010 21:40:19(UTC)
BarryRudd

Hi all

You may have noticed that the Mechanics Institute is sporting a satelite dish - now there's a photo opportunity for you local history fans! This will be removed after the Water weekend.

Today we successfully trialled the set up for the only big screen in the area for the England world cup game on June 12th

Thanks and watch this space

Barry Rudd

Event Organiser W3

BarryRudd  
#9 Posted : 08 June 2010 17:43:53(UTC)
BarryRudd

Afternoon all

Well there is a lot going on in town this weekend.  But I have just heard that the Meerkats have had a late fitness check and are fortunatley in better condition than Rio Ferdinand.

They will be arriving at the canal basin early on Saturday morning where they will meet Andrew Bingham MP and the Mayor of the High peak.

The fairground is arriving on Friday

The live bands have rehearsed

The big screen is being set up in the Mechanics

And it's all starting to come together

See you all there

Barry W3@mobelec.co.uk

silversurfer  
#10 Posted : 14 June 2010 14:20:54(UTC)
silversurfer

I hope you were pleased with events over the weekend, maybe you  should stand at the next elections.    music,makeup,meerkats and lots of steam........yes ,you would be perfect for our local counsil. nice one Barry Rudd !

SS

BarryRudd  
#11 Posted : 14 June 2010 22:12:47(UTC)
BarryRudd

A Sincere compliment from the Surfer-I am honoured!  shall we maintain the ceasefire for another week?

Cheers

Edited by user 14 June 2010 22:13:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

BarryRudd  
#12 Posted : 19 June 2010 22:22:01(UTC)
BarryRudd

Hi all

Today, I visited the Chapel Carnival.  I often attend other events to see what I can learn.  Alas the only thing I learnt was that W3 is totally unique.  I had the first negative comments re W3, which can only be interpreted as envy.  The whole event seemed to focus on Rose Queens and I encountered very many bored teenagers for whom there seemed little provision.

I was pleased to walk away and proud of Whaley Bridge

Cheers

snoopy  
#13 Posted : 21 June 2010 07:52:20(UTC)
snoopy

Hello

Can I first say that the weekend was a great event and heaps of praise must be poured on Barry and all the helpers, that's to all of them. The W3 is an asset to Whaley that brings people together from all ages which is a good thing. Very well done to all concerned.

BUT

Pride comes before a fall.

I am sure the people of Chapel have done their best to organise their carnival. Maybe some have worked as hard as Barry and deserve praise also. The canal doesn't go that far so they cannot use it! So I am not overly happy with the previous post..

In another post Barry mentions that already all that were there have booked again. I have seen many carnivals/festival etc that are the same every year, beware people drift away. "Oh not again"  I hear. I am sure Barry will work hard to make it a success every year, and as I said he deserves praise. But pride does come before a fall so beware.

Anyway, a great weekend and long may it prosper. Good luck to Chapel and other events in the surrounding area as well.

BarryRudd  
#14 Posted : 21 June 2010 10:29:44(UTC)
BarryRudd

Good Morning Snoopy

I have said previously that we welcome all feed back, even constructive negative.  I also support other local towns events and will be at the Buxton carnival enjoying their spectacular as I was at Furness and the New Mills music festival.  I always take time speak to the organisers to see what I can learn.

The Water weekend is unique and can not really be directly compared to other events.  The setting of the canal basin and the relaxed atmosphere along with quality free entertainment and boat rides makes it an event the town can be proud of.

As you say the organisers of Chapel carnival certainley worked hard and it was a well organised event and I do not wish to criticise it, but I can not overlook the groups of bored looking youths. -compared with a very busy pub scene and lots of rides for the little un's .  And I did recieve some negativity (re our event) from one of the organisers that I felt compelled to defend. 

We are working on new ideas for next year and are not complacent.  We welcome new ideas and input - especially practical help from people such as yourself Snoopy. The event will not be exactly the same each year but we have a blueprint that works and that people seem to like.  After all was this years event the same as the last? 

Thanks for you comments

Barry

Edited by user 21 June 2010 17:29:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified